Take your dog to work day

By Morgan Giordano and Eric Lyons

Social media celebrates the 16th annual Take Your Dog to Work Day, bringing a whole new meaning to working like a dog.

If your Instagram and Twitter feeds have blown up with pictures of dogs and you are not sure why, prepare to be jealous. Friday, June 20th marked the 16th annual Take Your Dog to Work Day. It is similar to Take Your Child to Work Day, but with less complaining. Workers are allowed to bring in their furry friends for one day and let them roam the offices while others pretend to get work done. According to its website, Pet Sitters International created Take Your Dog to Work Day in 1999 "to celebrate the great companions dogs make and encourage their adoptions from local shelters, rescue groups and humane societies." The occasion is always celebrated the Friday after Father's Day.

Some companies, however, do not want to be limited to the confines of just one day and are "pet-friendly offices." Google's Code of Conduct states "affection for our canine friends is an integral facet of our corporate culture." Thrillist Media Group's company policy states "pets ... bring 'em and we'll feed them all our garbage!"

Amazon's canine policy began with a corgi named Rufus who, according to the online retailer's website, accompanied the website's former editor-in-chief and principal engineer to the office every day. Even though he died in 2009, the memory of "Amazon's shortest volunteer worker" lives on through a dog friendly culture.

Countless others, including Ben & Jerry's and Etsy, now allow employees to be accompanied by their four-legged friends. Many cite how animals in the office de-stress workers and create a more casual environment.

To the cat lovers who feel left out ... have no fear! Pet Sitters International declared the entire week leading up to Take Your Dog to Work Day as Take Your Pet To Work Week.

petpetdon June 20 2014 at 10:14 PM

I like my dogs better then I like most people.

hwlndrbrt June 20 2014 at 6:46 PM

The golden retriever! I'll take the golden retriever every time!!!

tmccull52 hwlndrbrt June 21 2014 at 6:07 AM

Yes! I have two goldens, and I love them to death!

Some years back, I took in a golden retriever as a rescue adoption, and I haven't looked back since. I've had dogs all of my life, and I've loved all of them, but this one... Missy... had been the best. She was so sweet and so well behaved, all of the kid sin our neighborhood came to visit and play with her. Sadly, she succumbed to cancer at the age of ten. But having her was such an incredible experience that I've since been blessed with the two goldens that I have now. They are truly remarkable, remarkable dogs. I can come home after the worst day at work, and when I see them sitting there, side by side waiting for me, their tails waving enthusiastically, I forget all about what a crappy day that I'd had.

wjuiced2 tmccull52 June 21 2014 at 8:55 AM

My golden missy (jughead) had for 13 years before having to put her down 11 years ago.And I still think of her all the time and can not tell you how much I miss her.

Flag +1 rate up
tmccull52 tmccull52 June 21 2014 at 9:58 AM

My belated condolences on the loss of your beloved pet. I've had German sheperds, American Eskimos, labrador retrievers, shelties, poodles, and pekes. I loved them all, but there was... is... just something special about my Missy, and about goldens, in general. Not a day goes by where a fond memory of my Missy doesn't bring a smile to my face.

Flag +1 rate up
Colleen's Screen June 20 2014 at 8:44 PM

I'd sure like to see one of these pups in the chair in the Oval Office instead of the lying clown that's in there now.

chuck June 20 2014 at 9:08 PM

neat dog. he's doing a much better job then oboma can

mrstg65 June 20 2014 at 9:48 PM

OK if it was created in 1999 shouldn't this be the 15th anniversary? Anyway dogs are great! We need them as much as they need us.

AtoZhere June 20 2014 at 8:11 PM

I love seeing all my cute little and big four legged best friends out there being loved and care for by their best two legged best friends hard at work. WOOF!

bernardsguys June 20 2014 at 7:34 PM

My dog Daniel Irish Setter/Golden Retriever comes to work with me every day at my beauty Salon, the clients love him.

phpoling June 20 2014 at 11:36 PM

The really cute sleeping puppy and handsome Golden Retriever pictures are the best!

tmccull52 phpoling June 21 2014 at 6:12 AM

I have two goldens, and as much as I would love to bring them to work, I'd never get anything done if I did. I saw a quote about golden retrievers once... "Sunshine on a leash"... and that is absolutely true.

rockymtnhikerCo June 21 2014 at 8:41 AM

I had a German Shepherd,he was the best friend I ever had,he was always willing to go for a hike,even when my so called 'lazy' friends wouldn't. Guess what,King,my shepherd,didn't make stupid political statements like that dumb bish Colleen. King loved riding in the back of my pickup truck,i had sliding windows on the camper shell,i removed the screen on 1 window,so he could look out and see where we were going and where he had been.King loved chasing Frisbee,i taught him a trick,after I threw his soft bite Frisbee,i'd go hide,and lay flat behind a bush or shrub,he'd come back and drop his Frisbee and wonder where I had gone,Very soon,after I threw the frisbess,if I turned my back on him as he went to get it again,that joker would lie down behind a bush and i'd have to go and find him,if a dog can snicker,and chuckle,it would have been King. After our hike,i'd lie on the couch,King next to me on the floor,he loved propping his head up on the edge of the couch and just looking at me:-)

katydid579 rockymtnhikerCo June 21 2014 at 8:52 AM

What lovely memories you have and cherish. I'm so sorry King is gone.

rockymtnhikerCo katydid579 June 21 2014 at 12:23 PM

thankyoukatydid,I haven't had another dog since,i have some good pics of King,he was a clown,he loved hamming it up for the camera,once,when he was still a very small puppy,i looked out my kitchen window,King was napping in his plastic food bowl,with his head propped up on a cinder block,i would have thought he would be uncomfortable,but no,he was just snoozing away.Of course I have a few pics of that,thought I could sell them free lance to a pet related mag

Flag +1 rate up