Search AOL Mail
AOL Mail
AOL Favorites

Woman struck by lightning in bed

Woman In Bed Gets Struck By Lightning

When there's thunder and lightning outside, childhood instinct says to hide under the covers.

Check out these crazy lightning snapshots:

Unfortunately, a woman in Michigan found out this week that you may not be safe from a lightning strike ... even in your own bed.

Bethany Houghton was trying to sleep early Wednesday morning when she saw a blinding flash and felt a sharp pain. She told WOOD about the experience.

"I just felt this pain and this loud boom that woke me up and this light. It was just like a shock and a tingling sensation and then my arm too."

She immediately called 911, but when paramedics showed up, the tingling sensation was going away and her vital signs were good, so she didn't go to the hospital.

Firefighters believe the lightning struck Houghton's house and traveled into her room through a nearby breaker box before hitting her. As WKZO reports, Houghton was not seriously hurt, but she suffered a spider web shaped mark on her knee and a burn on her thumb.

People can and do get struck by lightning while they are indoors.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says, "If a bolt strikes your house or a nearby power line, it can travel into your house through the plumbing or the electric wiring! If you are using any electrical appliances ... and a storm is overhead, you are putting yourself at risk!"

Here's another 'shocking' fact: The NOAA reports that about 4-5% of people struck by lightning were talking on a corded phone when it happened.

Join the discussion

1000|Characters 1000  Characters
Marrieah June 20 2014 at 9:48 AM

Mmmm, when I was a kid, my grandmother would unplug all electrical outlets. I thought it was stupid. Those 'old' folks back in the day had lots of common sense.

Flag Reply +18 rate up
5 replies
hurry up dammit June 20 2014 at 6:41 AM

If she felt " shocked " before, wait 'till she gets the ambulance bill.

Flag Reply +11 rate up
1 reply
msmith6791 hurry up dammit June 20 2014 at 4:41 PM

They didn't take her. But remember that guy who DID go to the hospital with heart pains and they found he was ok. Then they gave him the bill and he died of a heart attack on the spot when he read it.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
1 reply
Kay msmith6791 June 20 2014 at 6:43 PM

I was recently transported to the hospital by ambulance but it only cost me $27 since my insurance picked up the rest, thankfully. But about 15 years ago my husband suffered a heart attack while on the roof of our home. I called 911 for an ambulance which transported him. At the time my husband was working for General Motors so imagine my surprise when his GM insurance refused to pay, claiming it was not an emergency!! So I asked what I should have done, maybe back my truck up to the house and roll my husband off the roof and into the bed of the truck? Luckily I also worked for a major company and my insurance picked up 80% of the bill but hubby's insurance never did pay a dime! So much for BC/BS.

Flag +2 rate up
alfredschrader June 20 2014 at 8:39 AM

You can protect yourself and home by installing copper lightning rods on the high points of your house.

If you look at the photo featured you'll notice that some of the lightning bolts feather out into thin air and strike nothing.
While I was sitting and waiting on a free Pappa John's pizza, an ominous black cloud was forming outside. I didn't know this.
Just as I stepped outside carrying the pizza box a huge bolt struck on the next street over.
I was surrounded by tiny 20 foot long feather-edged bolts going from the building to car antennas etc. None of them hit me but it was really creapy.

Flag Reply +8 rate up
4 replies
chall6pk June 20 2014 at 9:45 AM

This is horrible....But think about the man who's bed fell into a sink hole...right under his bed in Florida...never to be seen again...that's horrible

Flag Reply +8 rate up
2 replies
msmith6791 chall6pk June 20 2014 at 4:43 PM

Give us a link for that

Flag Reply 0 rate up
suzicue861 chall6pk June 21 2014 at 2:52 AM

It is bizarre. Not quite the proper burial, but he's probably in a better place. He may have come from a poor family with no life insurance. Not such a horrible thing when it cut out the processing of his earthly body AND it got buried in the very place the man called home!! He went Home without leaving home.........

Flag Reply 0 rate up
Allen June 20 2014 at 1:53 PM

Talk about HOT FLASHES . :)

Flag Reply +4 rate up
hattie54 June 20 2014 at 9:25 AM

I knew someone that lives outside Midland,Tx who got hit by lighting in her house coz she sat on a sofa that had a lot of metal coils underneath.The bolt hit some old farm machinery in her yard then it traveled thru the window then to the sofa.She still has some numbness in her left arm and shoulder area.

Flag Reply +3 rate up
David June 20 2014 at 4:17 PM

I wonder if she sat bolt upright and bolted out out of bed. She should be grounded.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
LA is Best June 20 2014 at 10:40 AM

Actually she was using her viberator and as she "got off" the lightining struck, she said WOW! She called 911 because she just had to tell somone that her viberator was fried!

Flag Reply +1 rate up
2 replies
hattie54 LA is Best June 20 2014 at 2:43 PM

LA,sounds like a made up story from La La Land.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
abcstarfox LA is Best June 21 2014 at 12:58 AM

You;re an AH.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
hanlon1212 June 21 2014 at 1:59 AM

It's not safe to operate a vibrator during a thunderstorm .

Flag Reply +1 rate up
1 reply
hanlon1212 hanlon1212 June 21 2014 at 1:59 AM

That's how Megan Kelly chipped her tooth .

Flag Reply 0 rate up
Scooter June 20 2014 at 6:50 AM

that's hot.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
aol~~ 1209600



World Series

More From Our Partners