Suarez gives Uruguay 2-1 World Cup win over England

By ROB HARRIS
AP Sports Writer

SAO PAULO (AP) -- Luis Suarez scored twice to give Uruguay a 2-1 victory over England at the World Cup on Thursday, making an instant impact on his return from injury to revive his team's Group D campaign.

The Liverpool striker, who hadn't played since undergoing surgery on his left knee last month, lashed in the winner in the 85th minute, after seeing his first-half opener canceled out by Wayne Rooney.

After surprisingly losing its Group D opener to Costa Rica, Uruguay's qualifying chances have now been given a major lift, while England's hopes of advancing to the round of 16 are in real jeopardy after its worst World Cup start in more than half a century.

Suarez seemed to revel in inflicting England's second successive loss in Brazil, having been punished twice by the country's Football Association for misdemeanors, serving bans for racism and biting in the Premier League.

Of Uruguay's six efforts on target, five were from Suarez - including the two that beat goalkeeper Joe Hart as England's slack defending was exploited.

"I dreamt this," Suarez said at the Itaquerao Stadium in Sao Paulo. "I'm enjoying this moment, because of all I suffered, the criticism I received. So, there you go."

By taking his World Cup tally to five goals, Suarez ensured that Rooney's first-ever goal in 10 matches on football's biggest stage was in vain at his third tournament.

Rooney tapped the ball home from close range in the 75th minute after connecting with Glen Johnson's pass. Having also lost against Italy, England now faces the prospect of not advancing from the group stage for the first time since 1958.

"We are a team that is making progress but results decide everything and both results have been negative," coach Roy Hodgson said.

"Where does it leave us? I don't know. I don't quite know."

Group D leader Italy and Costa Rica, who both have three points, meet for their second group game on Friday. Uruguay now has three points, while England is on zero points after consecutive defeats following its losing start to Italy.

It is in the England where Suarez has stepped up a level and powered in the goals that saw him voted the Premier League's best player last season. And despite lacking sharpness at times, he still managed to recapture the scoring form that helped Liverpool finish second last season with 31 goals.

Suarez was in the thick of the action in the opening minutes against an edgy England side. Goalkeeper Joe Hart's first save came after Suarez's cross-shot was deflected off the head of Gary Cahill.

"Quite frankly, for long periods of the game we kept him very quiet," Hodgson said. "We are normally used to seeing him much more active in and around our penalty area than we saw him today."

When Suarez did break forward, though, he was a real menace.

Suarez's first goal came in the 39th when Diego Godin picked up possession on the halfway line and sprayed it to Edinson Cavani on the left. Suarez easily evaded Phil Jagielka to head over Hart, seizing on defensive lapses just as Mario Balotelli did in Italy's win.

Although after several chances, Rooney ended his World Cup hoodoo it was rendered meaningless by Suarez's devastating final touch.

Suarez's Liverpool teammate, England captain Steven Gerrard, tried to clear a long punt by Uruguay goalkeeper Fernando Muslera, and the ball glanced off the head of midfielder and back toward his own goal. Suarez ran onto it and beat Hart with a right-footed shot from about nine yards.

"If this was a movie, people probably couldn't have wished for a better result, at least in Uruguay," Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez said.

---

Uruguay: Fernando Muslera; Martin Caceres, Jose Gimenez, Diego Godin; Alvaro Pereira, Alvaro Gonzalez (Jorge Fucile, 79), Egidio Arevalo, Cristian Rodriguez, Nicolas Lodeiro (Christian Stuani, 67); Luis Suarez (Sebastian Coates), Edinson Cavani.

England: Joe Hart; Glen Johnson, Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, Leighton Baines; Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson (Rickie Lambert, 87), Raheem Sterling (Ross Barkley); Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck (Adam Lallana), Daniel Sturridge.

lam2ray June 19 2014 at 6:57 PM

since when did England become a soccer powerhouse? I am 42 years old and in my lifetime, mighty England hasn't won a thing. BPL is the best league in the world and that's because of the influx of foreign players.

guyarthurschool June 20 2014 at 2:30 AM

Lets not assume that everyone hurling insults is American. This is the most troll ridden site I know, I don't even know why I scroll down to the comments. Go to site like The Guardian and you'll see that most Americans wanted England to win; and those that didn't, don't make ignorant comments like those found on this site.

darkcloudstonite June 19 2014 at 10:24 PM

Suarez is an ignorant moron who is also very dumb and stupid. He is insulting the country that employs him .

silviabeatriz2silvia darkcloudstonite June 20 2014 at 7:37 AM

He wanted to leave Liverpool and the club did not let him. No problem, he could go to play in Spain. There are other ignorant moronds in the world my dear

I LOVE YOU JENNY June 19 2014 at 7:03 PM

Send the Engs home!!!!!!!! Losers!!!!!!!!

campbell1221 I LOVE YOU JENNY June 19 2014 at 8:12 PM

Oh listen to the US losers who have never won a world cup in soccer. Jealous much losers.

Leon Ousby I LOVE YOU JENNY June 20 2014 at 2:59 AM

Listen Tom Hanks - Send the Engs home? Send the Engs home? Does your computer not have the L,A,D keys to at least finish typing England. I understand you can not probably spell England as you sum it up by calling yourself a loser!!! Brilliant. At least you're honest and I admire that. It's noble. You should be proud. If only more people were like you. Hang on. There are more people like you. Brilliant.

guku1 June 19 2014 at 7:18 PM

Damn arogant English got what they deserved. They should be disqualified for the WC.

I LOVE YOU JENNY June 19 2014 at 7:26 PM

The Engs never had a chance coming in!!!!!!!! What do you expect from a bunch of losers????????

icikebbocsike June 19 2014 at 7:50 PM

good ... arrogant stuck up no talent no goods...

Leon Ousby icikebbocsike June 20 2014 at 4:04 AM

Were you in the movie ' Deliverance ' ? You played the banjo didn't you. Brilliant. I knew it was you by your fluent grammatical diction structure in your sentence. good ... arrogant (spelt it correctly this time) stuck up no talent no goods.. nows i wanna here ya sqweeel lik a pigg... buoy... You're Brilliant.

Ric June 19 2014 at 6:47 PM

heart breaking?

mygailbaby Ric June 19 2014 at 7:14 PM

Yes. Heartbreaking. It took 3 years to get there.

i12cae June 19 2014 at 10:40 PM

If you hate the Brits so much, how come we dominate your TV shows, have the best bands and win most of the Oscars??!

robityrob i12cae June 20 2014 at 4:24 AM

Is that all you Brits claim to dominate? TV shows, Oscars, and Music? Are you serious? HA HA HA, what a bunch of losers!

Leon Ousby June 20 2014 at 2:34 AM

I'm 40 and I've seen England win the Ashes several times, The World Cup in Rugby several times. The Tennis. Ping Pong. The World darts. International fishing. Many gold medals at the many Olympics. Yachting. Crossbow. Many Academy Awards and Emmies. We invented the Internet so we can squabble like children.. alright we didn't win the internet but if it was a competition - We would of won. Er Making tea - We are world class at that. I was also the first Englishman to circumnavigate Jupiter in 2002 in a light aircraft. That was Amazing. I won that.. we'll again that was not a competition and It might of been a weird lucid dream, but if it wasn't. Then I won it for England. ...and English women can knit. They could knit for Britain.

Ant Leon Ousby June 20 2014 at 9:15 AM

Hey Leon,

I'm American and I was rooting for England! I thought they had a great match against Italy (I'm rooting for Italy to win it all) and I was hoping it would be Italy and England moving to the knockouts.

I posted a separate post stating that I thought the ref was a little one-sided in his calls which could have potentially changed the outcome.

We have to hope that Italy wins out and the Three Lions squad is able to crush Costa Rica so they can get by on GD.

Good luck to you!

pljo Leon Ousby June 20 2014 at 10:01 AM

Leon, I liked you until i saw "We would of won. "......it's "We would HAVE won", although in Ashton-u-Lyne it sounds like it should be of..........it is HAVE!!!

pljo pljo June 20 2014 at 10:07 AM

Sorry Lean, that comment was addressed to Jim, I need stronger Glasses. I apologize. Jim, consider yourself corrected :)

Flag +1 rate up