New Pantene commercial encourages women to stop saying sorry

#sorrynotsorry -- or rather #ShineStrong -- is a message Pantene is hoping women will embrace.

The new ad cleverly pieces together familiar situations in which women apologize in place of another specific phrase or expression, like 'excuse me' or 'good morning,' and then shows the same scenes without an apology.

With plenty of research to suggest that there is no discernible difference between the ways in which women and men absorb blame, critics are bound to question whether women should have been singled out for being overly apologetic.

Others may very likely agree with Linguist-of-the-sexes Deborah Tannen, who says many say 'I'm sorry' to 'express sympathy and concern,' and that 'treating others with empathy doesn't equal devaluing ourselves.'

Either way, the commercial does well in pointing out the wide use of the word in general, along with the unintended message constantly apologizing may unintentionally send.

Kathy June 19 2014 at 8:15 AM

...I think the ad itself is SORRY. There is nothing wrong with apologizing! Drives me crazy when these advertisers think they have to make a political statement. Just sell the product for what it is...unless of course it is a SORRY PRODUCT. Sorry!

mercinyc June 19 2014 at 9:50 AM

None of those "sorrys" were actual "I'm sorry", they were just sort of fillers, so the whole idea of Don't be sorry, is completely pointless in the first place. Also, I can't help but notice, how the second sorry-less version quickly turned the men into pushovers. Is that really necessary? Do we have to be made into different teams of I-win-you-lose, in order for a woman to not feel overpowered? Is this what the feminists had in mind for equality? SAD.

PS. I am a woman. I guess I'm just secure and confident enough to not have to turn every little issue into a major case, or make the other sex feel less, in order to make myself feel great.

laurel.viera1 June 19 2014 at 7:48 AM

I love the ad. Drives me crazy when someone is always saying sorry. Sorry should be a word that is used for mistakes/behavior that is hurtful to someone. When you are saying sorry to all kinds of things, you are apologizing for things you are doing that make you human, that is a right for you to do, that you deserve to do. It is saying that you feel like you are in the way or don't deserve to do what others do/are doing.

papabob666 laurel.viera1 June 19 2014 at 12:27 PM

THEY were bought up to be polite honorly!

jkmhcc June 19 2014 at 8:18 AM

This should be called "I don't give a ****, deal with it"
BTW I'm sorry your shampoo sucks.

clark June 19 2014 at 8:36 AM

someone has two much time on their hands.....

Scott June 19 2014 at 7:54 AM

Apparently someone has self-esteem issues. What are these people trying to sell again?

Sarah Scott June 19 2014 at 9:57 AM

Confidence to their already mass fans and buyers. What was the point of your comment again?

mustangman6799 Sarah June 19 2014 at 11:44 AM

Confidence? Really? The shampoo you use in the morning is going to instill confidence? God. Do you not realize this is why people think stupid women are stupid? It's incredibly simple. Stop being stupid, people will stop thinking you're stupid. Not saying things like, "they're selling confidence", is a good place to start.

Flag +8 rate up
mustangman6799 Scott June 19 2014 at 11:42 AM

Shampoo... I think. And they're playing on the stupidity of feminist women. Judging by the comments, it's working like a charm.

jocampo10 June 19 2014 at 9:31 AM

Actually what's worse is women with three year old voices saying anything. Ditch the baby voices ladies!

mercinyc jocampo10 June 19 2014 at 9:51 AM

And that nasal, high pitched voice they all seem to have these days.

evnsaffl mercinyc June 19 2014 at 10:52 AM

"all"? You need a course in logic.

Flag +2 rate up
IBruzEZ June 19 2014 at 9:02 AM

"sorry" has become like "you know", something said without real meaning and we all should stop, it is irritating!

pdgrovebaskets IBruzEZ June 19 2014 at 10:25 AM

Hear! Hear! Or, even WORST......the word "like". I am SO SICK of hearing bubble-head dingies, BOTH men and women saying the misused and misplaced word "like" at least 10 different times in a sentence. It's a horrendous fad that began back in the 1980s with the emergence of the "Valley Girls" and sadly the habit spread like a contagious virus throughout the American public, the younger the worst the illness, and we have never been able to fully eradicate this plague on humanity. Do American public schools even teach English grammar and spelling in the school systems or do they stop after elementary school? Also, are students required to use any of this knowledge they're trying to shove into their fried brain cells or is all communication performed by choppy, fragmented, bytes in text messages?

evnsaffl IBruzEZ June 19 2014 at 10:51 AM

Or like starting out a sentence with "I mean, ..." Even reporters are doing that lately.

onionson June 19 2014 at 5:27 AM

This confusing article makes a thought I've had for decades seem more valid. "Women, you can't live without them and you can't shoot them". I'm sure many women feel the same about men.

evnsaffl onionson June 19 2014 at 10:48 AM

FLAGGED. The correct comment was "and you can't LIVE WITHOUT THEM."

richkolasa evnsaffl June 20 2014 at 11:35 AM

Flagged, for you being an anal-retentive feminine hygiene product!

Flag 0 rate up
peacefulcolours June 19 2014 at 5:21 AM

HUH ?!?!?!? Can someone please explain this to me like I'm a 6 year old ?!?