Canadian woman takes life-saving selfie

Woman Takes a Selfie That May Have Saved Her Life

Stacey Yepes took a selfie that may have saved her life. She says she went to a local hospital after having what she believed was a stroke after her whole left side went numb and tingly -- but doctors said it was just stress. They offered her breathing exercises and sent her on her way.

When the same thing happened again a few days later, Yepes took out her phone and recorded the symptoms as proof.

"I just needed somebody to see what was happening," she said. "When I'm telling people this has happened, and they're saying this is stress, I know this is not stress."

In the video, Yepes says, "the sensation is happening again. It's all tingling on the left side."

Thanks to the video, doctors were able to diagnosis the woman with a condition that causes mini-strokes, as a result of plaque buildup in her arteries.

Yepes is taking medication and hasn't had a stroke since, according to UPI. But she does advise that others in a similar situation call 911 first, then take the video.

"I would just encourage anybody, if you have these symptoms, or even if you remotely think (you do), go and get it checked out," she told UPI. "Don't wait because your greatest chance of recovering is getting it looked at immediately."

As for her famous video, the local woman's hospital has asked for it, to have a look at it, and learn from it.

chdblwinnr June 19 2014 at 1:34 PM

I am a physician so please let me enlighten you for a moment. No matter the profession you get the same slice of life. Doctors can be just a corrupt, lazy or venal as anybody else in any line of work or position in life. Here are 2 rules to live by when it comes to interacting with the healthcare world. #1. Always be your own patient advocate (the squeaky wheel gets the grease). #2. When you can't be your own patient advocate make sure you entrust that duty to a person you trust with your life. Doctors get tired. Doctors get lazy (some of them). Doctors can be corrupt and money hungry. It happens every single day and I have, unfortunately, seen more than my share of it. I have seen patients die because their nurse was just plain stupid. I have seen patients die because their doctors simply didn't care. In the case of this woman her doctors didn't take her seriously and she could have had some very serious repercussions because of it. It has nothing to do with O'Bamacare.

vrf19977 June 19 2014 at 12:26 PM

Hooray for gov't-run healthcare! Patients have to flippin' self-diagnose to get medical attention now.

sylvabugg2 June 19 2014 at 1:01 PM

Isn't socialized medicine great? This is what we have to look forward to with Obummercare. Thanks all you Obummer voters. We're doomed.

GB June 19 2014 at 1:31 PM

A friend of mine, who was in the auto repair business, was telling me about a debate between him and his doctor brother in law concerning the high cost of medical care in the U.S. The doctor thought it was right where it needed to be and countered that auto repair was what was too expensive. My friend ended up telling the doctor that the only difference between auto repair and medical care was that in the automotive business, they have to fix their mistakes, while doctors bury theirs.

majorg1000 GB June 19 2014 at 4:26 PM

Someone once told me that the only difference between an Auto Mechanic and a Doctor is that the Mechanic washes his hands BEFORE he uses the rest room.

He's out there! June 19 2014 at 1:19 PM

What on earth does this have to do with Obamacare?! Some of you guys are really stupid! This is about bad physician analysis and has nothing at all to do with the government. Get over yourselves already as your ignorant comments are embarrassing.

Mary and Rick June 19 2014 at 1:12 PM

I don't have "government run healthcare", I have what is supposed to be one of the best HMO healthcare policies in the country and I have had one doctor after another drop the ball over the years taking care of my recurring health issues. I pay a fortune for my policy and it has very high copays (because of my age, which is 61). I pay $8,100 a year just for my policy and that's before the thousands more I spend on copays and I still get misdiagnosed and less than acceptable outcomes for many of the procedures I've had. Our system is no better and infinitely more expensive.

twoblueyes70 June 19 2014 at 5:38 PM

Drs no days just dont care or care to listen. It seems like what you tell them just goes in one ear and out the other and cant wait to get you out of the office.

jayneereich June 19 2014 at 1:27 PM

Ain't government medicine great? That's why Canadians have always come over the border to the US when they really needed help. Thanks, all of you O fans... that's what you have to look foreward to.

evelyon7 June 19 2014 at 1:11 PM

WELL I HOPE THE PERSON IN THE WHITE HOUSE IS PLEASED WITH HIMSELF AND HIS HEALTH?? CARE. PEOPLE PLEASE LOOK AT BACKGROUND OF ANYONE YOU VOTE FOE SO WE CAN VOTE INTELLIGENTLY

chuck June 19 2014 at 1:43 PM

just like obomacare . watch this libs

bba007 chuck June 19 2014 at 3:24 PM

Obamacare is not even close to the Canadian system, unless you continue to watch Fox and listen to Limbaugh. All of the insurances on the web site are private companies bozo. The only Federal health care is through medicare, tricare, and the VA. Ask how many retirees and vets want to give up their government health care.

bettykc2 chuck June 19 2014 at 11:54 PM

Our health care system was marked by rampant price increases for commercial insurance, dropping people from coverage because they had chronic conditions, refusals to cover prexisting conditions so that those who were dropped could not find care hospitals that charged $25.00 for an aspirin, etc. People were being priced out of the system. Does no one remember these things?

Kathy bettykc2 June 20 2014 at 1:31 AM

well, now THAT's funny... because now people are being dropped from the policy THEY CHOSE and wished for..thanks to obamacare. I was recently hospitalized. Do you really think obamacare made the price of an aspirin go down? HAHAHAHHAHHAH Come see my hospital bill. Bottom line is, the American people have been thrown under the bus and forced to take obamacare or be fined. So much for freedom of choice, hmmm?

Flag +2 rate up