Frightening 'ice water warning' has really been around since 2007

Vet Reveals Truth About Viral Dogs and Ice Water Post

An article has gone viral across the web and is terrifying pet owners. The blog post, NO ICE WATER FOR DOGS... PLEASE READ ASAP, discusses one dog's near deadly encounter from an innocent activity.

The story has been widely circulating, showing up Facebook timelines and emails from friends, so FOX 17 talked to a local vet to see how true the post really is.

"On the internet circulating right now is a story that seems very legitimate of a dog developing bloat after consuming ice cubes and water," Dr. Randall Carpenter, DMV of Family Friends Veterinary Hospital said.

It's the story of a dog who almost dies after his owner gives him ice water, claiming the cold water caused the dog to 'bloat.' Dr. Carpenter says bloats are life-threatening situations that actually flips the stomach while enlarging it.

He says he's actually seen the viral post scaring dog owners since 2007, and it just recently made a comeback on social media.

"If the dog is overheated and dehydrated, and desperate for fluids and they consume huge, huge amounts of ice cubes or water all at one time, it could create a situation where the dog could bloat," Dr. Carpenter said.

But that's true for large amounts of any temperature water, he added.

He says just consuming cold water or ice cubes in moderation will not cause bloat, saying ice cubes and water when the weather is hot is a good thing.

Though the article seems very real, even scientific enough to scare the most educated pet owner, the findings behind it are simply false.

nightstalker1724 June 19 2014 at 10:50 AM

"Ice cubes and cold water are fine for pets as long as it's done with some common sense," Dr. Carpenter said. The use of common sense, something that is lacking in this country, pets are in trouble.

toneitup June 19 2014 at 12:04 PM

What do Wolves do in Alaska? Carry a stove?

sharonboy30 June 19 2014 at 10:54 AM

Common sense is something a lot of people are missing.

songbirdgray sharonboy30 June 19 2014 at 11:08 PM

AMEN!

zrsz1 June 19 2014 at 11:03 AM

talk about sensationalism !!,,I give my dogs a bowl of water with a few ice cubes in it twice a day. they way the headline made it sound I thought I was killing them. why I go on this site is beyond me,, I need to get a life,,,,

nchscleve zrsz1 June 19 2014 at 4:00 PM

I got this warning on my email, and it made no sense to me, but other rescuers rushed to pass the news along, sending panic with it. I hate when this happens.

tony zrsz1 June 19 2014 at 8:57 PM

True.

sasfmw3 June 19 2014 at 11:54 AM

I know some people only feed their dogs the approved healthy foods (often dry). This means the dog spends its entire life watching its family eat cheeseburger, steak, deserts and other tasty stuff. Common Sense to allow your dog an occasional meat treat. I guess the argument would be you are shortening his life with the wrong diet. By what weeks?? I would still hope we can lighten up - poor dog watching you consume that delicious roast all his life. Dogs were originally meat eaters.

eric June 19 2014 at 10:48 AM

As a treat, I will give my two "boys" an ice cube or two. I don't do it all the time because I figure it could be as damaging to their teeth as it would be for you or me. Like the guy said, "common sense". (Which has never seemed to be all that common to me when it comes to most people)
They also LOVE carrots and the older one gets down right pushy when I'm eating melon (any type). Again, these are occasional treats.

vafilec_39 June 19 2014 at 11:34 AM

My one dog used to go diving for ice cubes in the water. Now that he is older, no more diving but just begs for an ice cube. Have always put ice cubes in their water and have owned 6 dogs. First one lived to be 17, the rest lived to between 13 & 15. Pure breds seem to have shorter lives than the Heinz 57 variety.

Pam June 19 2014 at 11:10 AM

This kind of makes me laugh the someone actually thought a dog could die eating ice. It's frozen......water.

erinjanespca Pam June 19 2014 at 11:36 AM

B-but it's so cold his muscles will tighten like if we jump into icy water which is 100% irrelevant!

/sarcasm (just in case)

buglebob June 19 2014 at 12:25 PM

So much total BS on the internet. Ice cubes are very good for dogs. They seem to think it's an ice cream treat and they are recommended by all working dog organizations.

ht4cycle June 19 2014 at 10:49 AM