'Harry Potter' star Rupert Grint aims for Broadway

NEW YORK (AP) - Producers of Terrence McNally's Broadway-bound revival of "It's Only a Play" have added a little "Harry Potter" magic - Rupert Grint.

Grint, who played Ron Weasley in the Potter film franchise, will make his Broadway debut alongside Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Stockard Channing, Oscar winner F. Murray Abraham and Emmy winner Megan Mullally.

The revival will play at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre. Opening night is Oct. 9.

"It's Only a Play," which previously appeared off-Broadway in 1986, is a send-up of show business. It is set on the eve of a play's opening night and its anxious playwright has to deal with Broadway show business types as they await the first reviews.

Grint made his West End Debut in the 2013 revival of Jez Butterworth's "Mojo."

Related Slideshow:

What The Cast Of 'Harry Potter' Looks Like Today

loreequilts June 18 2014 at 10:01 AM

whoooo....look at Neville!

myirysheyes June 18 2014 at 11:37 AM

Love, love LOVE these three kids...my five grew up with their stories; so I consider them my own; and since my daughter and I have red hair, we have a particular affection for Ron. ..and Emma and Daniel have proven themselves to be talented performers in the roles they've chosen after Potter; I'm certain Rupert will do the same.

BTW every interview you see these kids on, from when they were in the first (perfectly cast) movie until now; they are polite, articulate, charming...not a whiner among them...contrast that with the Lindsey's and the American, troubled child stars. What do the Brits know that we don't?

schillig7 myirysheyes June 18 2014 at 1:19 PM

Maybe it's the fact that they've had parents that keep them grounded and insist they look after their education as well. But I'd also wager it has to do with the British attitude towards acting as opposed to the American attitude. The British actor (or at least it seems to me) seems more interested in being the best he can at his craft, and not quite as focused on "superstardom" as an American actor is. For a British actor, there's no such thing as "slumming", only working.

It can be summed up in something Jay Leno said when he interviewed not-yet-Sir Patrick Stewart. "I can't get over how BUSY you British actors always seem to me. An American movie actor will make one blockbuster and then wait six months until another comes along. But you British actors...you'll do a high-profile movie, then a small independent one, then a run onstage, then a BBC miniseries...you're ALWAYS working!"

tesserae5 schillig7 June 18 2014 at 2:19 PM

They are always working because in England they pay something like 50% of their earnings in taxes. Not as easy to get rich as for lazy American actors.

Flag +1 rate up
mj3legends schillig7 June 18 2014 at 4:00 PM

@tesserae5

Flag 0 rate up
Susan myirysheyes June 18 2014 at 4:52 PM

They consider education important. We have the worst education system in the English speaking world. Most adults can't put together cohesive sentences in English, and don't know how to spell. Americans do not read!

laura June 18 2014 at 10:26 AM

I may seem twisted, but have always loved Snape, silent sexy. Neville ended up the best looking, then the twins.

vrf19977 June 18 2014 at 11:15 AM

Emma is the only one of the original trio who turned out attractive... the other two... *shudder*...

Bill June 18 2014 at 11:02 AM

That was refreshing, like seeing you family after many years.

laura June 18 2014 at 10:27 AM

Could you see snape in 50 shades of grey?

fifiwereking laura June 18 2014 at 2:57 PM

ewwww, no! now, benedict cumberbatch...

Trish June 18 2014 at 12:23 PM

Mr. R. Grint is still adorable, I could imagin him as a baby, he must have been his mother's kissy face. And I mean that as a very good thing, he still has that look. I wish him well in his acting career.

PrettyEyes Trish June 19 2014 at 1:10 AM

Yeah, I think he's a cute kid too. I look forward to seeing what he does with his life.

Salve Tutti! June 18 2014 at 2:14 PM

Neville Longbottom…..from total nerd who can't fly..to absolute stud. Looking at these photos was nostalgic for me….but also makes me feel so old, even though I am not 'so old.' They have all, those kids, grown up well and handsome and/or gorgeous. Am glad for them all. How many years HAS is been, exactly?

donald.gorobegko June 18 2014 at 6:26 PM

Remember, it's MAGIC.

jwil382894 June 18 2014 at 3:05 PM

Freedom from slavery mentality.. you! They have NOTHING on you.
http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=Zn7JcBnx-tE