US seaman surprises sister at high school graduation

US Seaman Surprises Sister at High School Graduation in New Hampshire

Cody Voisine surprised his sister at Timberlane High School's graduation Saturday after the U.S. seaman hadn't seen his family in 10 months.

After two days of traveling on planes, trains and automobiles, Cody made it to the town of Plaistow, New Hampshire.

"It was a whole two-day process," Cody said. "Bahrain to Kuwait. From Kuwait to D.C.. From D.C. to Haverhill. The shuttle to the Blue Line. Took the Blue Line to the Orange Line. Took the Orange Line to TD Garden. Since Christmas, I wanted to surprise my sister at her graduation since I missed every holiday in between that and now." The long journey was worth it in the end, and he was able to keep the secret from his entire family.

Before the surprise, Cody said the excitement was building. "I don't know what she's going to do. I honestly don't," he said before the ceremony. "I just want to run on the field right now and hug my sister, and then jump the fence and hug my family."

His entire family had no idea he was in town. To help keep his presence under wraps, the staff at Timberlane kept him hidden in a shed until it was time to present his sister, Megan Voisine, her diploma. His sisters were all in tears when Cody appeared.

"My heart is still pounding. I can't even believe it. I didn't know," Megan Voisine said after her brother hugged her on the stage when she received her diploma.

"I'm very happy the way it turned out, very happy," Cody Voisine said. "I wouldn't have changed a thing."

Cody Voisine is home until the Fourth of July. He'll then return to serving in the Middle East.

dspirgen June 17 2014 at 10:20 AM

Gee, what an unusual story. I can see why it made a national news feed. I haven't seen an article about a serviceman coming home to surprise a loved one in maybe DAYS.

billcdaly June 17 2014 at 10:32 AM

Always great to see these videos.
A shame the government has abandoned them medically in the VA hospitals.

chuck June 17 2014 at 9:01 AM

good for you son. i was a seaman once too. retired chief. wtg

exitscreaming June 17 2014 at 12:32 PM

The preceding commercial was brought to you by the U.S. Military

bonnlaw711 June 17 2014 at 9:08 AM

What a great brother.. the diploma was important but her brother being there will always be an unforgettable memory in her life forever... Way to go

Mare June 17 2014 at 3:51 PM

As sweet as it is to surprise a loved one....honestly, haven't we read ENOUGH stories like this? Who cares? It's not news. It's nice for the family. End of story.

kimcrdr June 17 2014 at 11:28 AM

I love these stories, they always make me have happy tears flowing down my cheeks! Thank you Cody for all your service for our great country!!

madcap.1 June 17 2014 at 10:54 AM

with what is going on in Iraq now , i hope this kid is around to hug his sister in the future.
Bush made sure that there are 5000 soldiers that will never hug their family again

darkcloudstonite June 17 2014 at 1:35 PM

just curious , when people write things like " tears are streaming down my face as I'm typing this "....are they being honest or just acting overly dramatic ?

Susan darkcloudstonite June 17 2014 at 2:53 PM

I have to admit tears come my eyes really easily when I read/see a story like this, but personally, since I'm reading it at work, I can't let them fall. :)

ddacarrier46 darkcloudstonite June 17 2014 at 10:49 PM

no dramatics these stories are touching, but the headlines are so corney and you know what is going to happen

lisamarieg44 June 17 2014 at 9:55 PM

I love seeing these! It sure beats all the bad news we have to see. Thank you servicemen and women for all that you do and all you have done in the past!