The craziest rock formation in America

The Craziest Rock Formation in America

Turnip Rock, a rock island formation just off the shores of Lake Huron, was shaped by thousands of years of erosion from storm waves. It got its name from its unusual turnip-like shape and the vegetation sprouting from the top of the structure.

Few people actually know that the rock island exists on Lake Huron because of its limited accessibility. The land around it is private property, so the only way to access it is by boat -- except in the winter when the lake is frozen.

Another crazy rock formation resides in Colorado Springs. The "Garden of the Gods" is decorated with pink, white, and deep red rock formations. They each tell a story as evidence of ancient seas and sand dune fields, and both are visible on the rock's exterior. The Pleistocene Age brought erosion and glaciations that molded the rocks into nearly every shape and size imaginable.

More than two million visitors each year enjoy mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking and horseback riding at the site.

coopdabomb June 21 2014 at 7:19 AM

While America burns from lies and scandals AOL runs a story on a rock. The news at it's lib. best........

powermetal38 June 21 2014 at 12:49 PM

Reminds me of Northern California, it is the most beautiful state in the union !

pa34222 powermetal38 June 21 2014 at 7:00 PM

not at all. Florida has much more to offer than Calif, and no where as many nuts. It belongs to Mexico anway.

Niels Marienlund pa34222 June 21 2014 at 8:53 PM

You mean how Florida belongs to Cuba?

California has beaches, mountains, hills, plains, forests, and deserts. Florida has beaches and swamps.

Speaking of nuts, explain how Florida got its reputation for being home of the weirdest newsworthy events in the country?

Flag +3 rate up
mmwwil pa34222 June 22 2014 at 12:05 AM

Wrong. florida has more nutsd. It supassed California a few years ago.. If you haven't been to Northen Ca,./ You would not know. Big Sur.

Flag 0 rate up
Nona June 21 2014 at 1:16 PM

Beautiful landscape! I love the Great Lakes and have been awe inspired by my visit to Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Wish everyone had to oppurtunity to visit there!

gramargo Nona June 21 2014 at 5:28 PM

It is indeed beautiful. Have you been to Zion Canyon or some of the other amazing places in New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah? I'm rather fond of Canyon de Chelly myself with its human scale. And then there's Monument Valley which is quite the opposite. Get an Indian Country map from your auto club and see the wonders of the entire area.

wrascil June 21 2014 at 11:20 AM

I for one am excited to see something that dumocrats have not blamed on human activity.
although thousands of years of boat traffic likely caused the erosion and receding water levels due to global cooling caused by the building of polar ice that exposed the base of this rock

papasays54 June 21 2014 at 1:54 PM

Been to Turnip Rock. They forgot Pictured Rocks in the UP. Much better.

TripleXKimberly June 21 2014 at 8:45 PM

So Beautiful. I would love to visit the Garden of the Gods and should be considered one of the wonders of the world!

Carol Shafer June 21 2014 at 7:29 PM

I have pretty much been to most all of the states in our America and the one thing that stood out was that every state has it's own beauty and shouldn't be compared but accepted as something beautiful to behold...

TLKEDOVARY June 21 2014 at 4:45 PM

Turnip Rock is not available by land, due to private land. I know that is one place I wanted to visit on our way up the thumb are of Michigan. Come to find out I would never ever be able to see it unless I had a boat! Really stinks in my opinion...but maybe a good thing and it can remain untouched my many!

gramargo TLKEDOVARY June 21 2014 at 5:21 PM

Since it's out in the lake and not connected to the shore, how else would you get to it except by boat? I rather doubt you'd care to swim to it, what with the water in that lake being a tad on the chilly side, and even then, you couldn't actually get onto the rock.

grant911 June 21 2014 at 10:32 PM

Satan dwells on many isles. There is no sense of God here; just a demon's "joke" on God!

jloschh June 21 2014 at 1:13 PM

art vandolay has nothing over the all time architect,nature.