Parrot tricks woman into calling 911

Parrot Tricks Woman Into Dialing 9-1-1

FAIRFIELD, Conn. (AP) -- Police say a Connecticut woman became concerned when she heard someone calling "Daddy" repeatedly near a school. But when she began looking for a child, she instead found a large green parrot up in a tree.

Fairfield police Lt. James Perez says the fire department used a long pole to remove the bird from the tree at Holland Hill School on Thursday. The parrot then flew onto a bamboo stand. Firefighters chased it out and an animal control officer caught it in a net and brought it to a shelter.

Perez says the bird was talking nonstop saying, "Daddy," "hello," "what!" and other words.

The bird was found about one mile from its home. It was later reunited with its owner, who had reported it missing.

cpruitt221 June 16 2014 at 4:58 PM

This is great and I am so happy that the owner "Daddy" found his pet. Pets are actually very intelligent and can learn an enormous number of words. If you teach them their address they remember it.

cqdeed cpruitt221 June 17 2014 at 4:18 AM

Right, but don't ever move.

Applez64 June 16 2014 at 9:05 PM

I had a neighbor who had to make sure her door was locked because every time someone knocked her Myna bird would say "come in"!

laferiabil June 16 2014 at 9:16 PM

It was several years ago that a widow neighbor of mine had a thirty year old parrot that had a rather extensive vocabulary It was in ecember and my neighbor wanted to spend the Christmas holidays with her sister and made arrangements with another neighbor to take care of the Parrot. Unfortunately three days after the neighbor with the parrot left the neighbor whom was taking care of the parrot had a heart attack and died. I was concerned about the welfare of the bird that was kept in an open Car port and it was forcasted to get very cold that night so I went to the house and moved the Parrot from the open carport to the adjacent laundry room. This was a huge cage and took considerable effort and there was a cover for the cage in the laundry room. Wanting to protect the parrot I coverd the cage and prepared to leave when the parrot in her voice began to scream help, help, help!!

dal June 16 2014 at 5:34 PM

the bird would say Daddy, hello and what, and other words, what other words do you suppose they may be. LOL!

mykell069 dal June 17 2014 at 7:15 AM

Lol...I was thinking the same thing!

Maurice June 16 2014 at 8:06 PM

Great human interest story and it had a happy ending, too.

jvt1984 June 17 2014 at 1:06 AM

When I was about 18 years old and working in an office, I had to go to the local office supply company. The minute I opened the front door, I saw a group of young men toward the back of the store. They started laughing and smiling and then suddenly there was a loud wolf whistle, which I properly tried to ignore and walked on by them to the products that I came for. Then I heard the wolf whistle again and again. Of course, my first thought was that they must think I'm pretty cute. When I got to the checkout counter, the clerk said their myna bird was the one that thought I was cute. Rats for that.

TR by ML Neal... June 17 2014 at 4:03 AM

What illiterate idiot writes this stuff? They didn't "bring the bird to a shelter, unless the write was there, the TOOK the bird to a shelter. Simple English folks... 5th grade stuff. Where do you sign up to write this drivel?

jclewsmass TR by ML Neal... June 17 2014 at 8:33 AM

and which grade is "the TOOK the bird to a shelter"?

jclewsmass jclewsmass June 17 2014 at 8:34 AM

and "unless the write was there"?

Flag 0 rate up
TR by ML Neal... June 17 2014 at 4:06 AM

African grays do the same thing and can mimic a voice to sound exactly like a person, a telephone, anything that makes sound. They are so funny and smart.

TR by ML Neal... June 17 2014 at 4:12 AM

Afrian grays will repeat WHATEVER they hear. Be careful around them. They are like little children repeating everything...including "oh baby you were soo good last night" at the most inappropriate time... or "come on let's get a quickey before the kids get home"... or "is that what you're gonna wear" anything you say they store it in their memory banks.

blo2thehead June 17 2014 at 4:19 AM