Famous Amos gives cookie business another try

HONOLULU (AP) -- The Hawaii man who in the 1980s lost ownership of his Famous Amos cookie company is reinventing his brand yet again.

Wally Amos debuted his latest push for a retail rebound this month at Ala Moana Center in Honolulu. The 76-year-old is now selling his cookies at candy store Boardwalk Treats under the name, The Cookie Kahuna.

Amos has reinvented himself more than a half-dozen times since losing ownership of the Famous Amos company, along with use of his moniker and image, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported.

Amos started the Famous Amos company in 1975 in Los Angeles. The company ran into financial trouble and Amos eventually lost ownership. The brand is now owned by the Kellogg Co.

His latest venture comes after launching other cookie businesses in Hawaii, including Uncle Noname, Aunt Della's Cookies, Uncle Wally's Muffin Co. and Chip & Cookie, which lost him nearly $1 million. He has lived in Hawaii since 1977.

Amos says his previous successes and failures taught him to never give up.

"Failure is not failure, but an opportunity to begin again more intelligently," he told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, paraphrasing Henry Ford. "I love that quote. On my worst day I never thought I should quit. You are guaranteed to fail if you quit. But if you find the tenacity to keep going, eventually you will succeed."

He said he plans to launch online sales in the coming weeks at TheCookieKahuna.com.

"I'm setting up to do some real business, to make some real money and spend some time with the people that have always helped me," he said. "I don't have that money yet, but it's right around the corner."

alfredschrader June 17 2014 at 7:11 AM

Wally Amos is amazing. What Wally doesn't realize is he didn't lose anything.
He is still Wally and people will buy his foods because he is Wally.
He didn't fail. The "Wally's" brand is worth billions.
Cookies are just the crumb of it all and only one product.
I should know, I've invented hundreds of new foods including the Chili Pizza and the Breakfast Pizza. Right now I'm working on the Jaeger Pizza.
I've given away recipes worth billions. So what. Ones I kept are worth even more.

Mr. Amos needs to secure legal and business representation to protect his interests.
I suggest start with Wally's brownies and go from there.
He needs to copyright the Wally's brand.

lbreamer June 17 2014 at 7:46 AM

I hope he succeeds!!! Good for him - we need so many more people like him, who aren't afraid to get back up & struggle on after a setback.

west83jazz June 17 2014 at 5:45 AM

I hope the best. I love chocolate chip cookies.

sueandjes45 June 17 2014 at 10:34 AM

Good man. Good luck.

Davis10Oregon1 sueandjes45 June 17 2014 at 6:25 PM

A good man, with a good positive attitude, obviously his cookies were among the best because The Kellogg Company now owns the entire brand, name included . Amazing some of the things we people of color don't know . At his advance age, he probably realizes some of that business acumen he had not mastered, yet he feels a need to continue fueling his business with newer and fresher ideas and I would hope he achieves whatever those goals are he has set in place for himself, keeping in mind we brought nothing in, nor do we carry anything out.He, alone is a story of success.Thanks for sharing his hard earned wisdom,it may be a guiding light for young business capitalists to do their research first or to Hire.

katman2014 June 17 2014 at 10:45 AM

MY KIND OF GUY I ALLWAYS TELL MY DAUGHTER NEVER GIVE UP

ANDY DONT GIVE UP

Jim Kelley June 17 2014 at 11:31 AM

I wish him the best as his "old" Famous Amos cookies were probably the best. Hope I get to sample his newest cookie.

hello friend Jim Kelley June 17 2014 at 8:13 PM

jim kelly from sb

CHUCK June 17 2014 at 11:20 AM

I hope he hires someone that can grow the company instead of closing the doors again.

Vicki June 17 2014 at 9:19 AM

You go, Wally! Best of luck.

WildMtHoney888 June 17 2014 at 10:51 AM

More molasses I could tell that the company was taken over. The cookies are good but they are not as good as they once where. Here is to hoping this company takes off, and they promote it. Have a countdown to classic cookie on facebook. But make sure everyone knows that the Wally Wonderful Cookies are back and ready to share the table.

muffin June 17 2014 at 12:26 PM

Ok, aol. That should read "Hawaiian" man not "Hawaii." Someone needs to proofread the stories before posting. Does someone get paid to do that? Maybe aol is too cheap.

dtk071952 muffin June 17 2014 at 4:19 PM

Quit belly aching. Did you pay AOL for the news?

empirewa dtk071952 June 17 2014 at 6:39 PM

I'd rather pay then read all their their stupid ads and popups.

Flag 0 rate up
Ken muffin June 17 2014 at 9:28 PM

I don't think he is a Hawaiian native. He lives in Hawaii therefore he IS a Hawaii man. Just as if you lived in Vermont you would be a Vermont man.