Baby birds give man at electrical substation the cutest 'shock' ever

Power Station Holds Cute Surprise

Michael Finnigan was doing some maintenance in a former factory electrical substation when he noticed a bird flying around the area, coming and going from a small nest.

Curious, he went to look at the nest and found four hungry creatures waiting for their parent to come back with some food. He was sure not to touch the babies or the nest, backing away after getting his unexpected surprise. "Sorry, got nothing for you!" he said as they screeched.

On YouTube, Michael wrote, "Surrounded by 115,000 volts, mom picked a strange place for this."

Commenters were delighted by the birds, though many were worried for them, asking whether or not Michael planned to call animal control.

Michael explained, "It's safe there. The yard is surrounded by chain link fence topped with barbed wire, and no humans really want to be out there due to the danger of being electrocuted into a small pile of carbon dust. "

Pasko June 16 2014 at 2:17 PM

Did you see how big the mouths are on those chicks? They must share DNA with Debby Wasserman-Schultz.

bd55pack18 June 16 2014 at 4:20 PM

What a shocking story!
I got a charge out of it as I read it again.
Gives new meaning to the phrase " Bird on a wire".
This story must be all the buzz at the electric company.
What an electrifying experience for that worker.
That guy must be a real live wire at his job...

Sal Diggs June 16 2014 at 5:19 PM

Looks like my in-laws at a family picnic. :)

tharper001 June 16 2014 at 6:16 PM

It is a myth that the momma bird will not come back if the babies or the nest is touched... looks like these birds are doing just fine! I had the pleasure of raising a very young starling last year... the bird did so well... I have a room in my house that is a sunroom and is closed off from the rest of the house via a glass door... my daughter and I had a blast feeding this baby and watching him learn to fly. If you encounter birds in the wild, especially babies that have fallen out of the nest... pick them up and put them back in... the mother will come back... but if you can't reach the nest or don't see the mother after a few hours, by all means contact the local wildlife shelter! And there's a lot of information on line on how to properly feed and raise a baby bird that otherwise would not have a chance... although the latter is not recommended unless you know what you are doing!

jimfrisky tharper001 June 16 2014 at 10:16 PM

I TO RAISED A STARLING ONCE KEPT SINCE ITS A INTERDUCED BIRD IT LIVED TO BE 8 YEARS AN LEARNED TO SAY ITS NAME HELLO FRISKY AND WISTEL A LOT OF STUFF

BARRY AND KATHY jimfrisky June 17 2014 at 2:26 PM

I'm betting the bird is better at spelling than you.

Flag +1 rate up
BARRY AND KATHY tharper001 June 17 2014 at 2:24 PM

There you go. I'm glad I scrolled down before I commented. It saved me time.

charpist5 June 16 2014 at 12:25 PM

In 10 days they would all fly away, so they aren't in any danger...unless they fly into power wires of course.

droppitch charpist5 June 16 2014 at 3:37 PM

They can fly onto power lines and rest there as long as they don't ground themselves

rolnutz droppitch June 16 2014 at 8:45 PM

They said " into power lines" and if they do,as many do along with flying into wind generators,they will be injured, or more likely die.

Flag 0 rate up
uppasnuffagas June 16 2014 at 10:56 PM

I hope mom and babies will be safe. I feed birds and squirrels every day and have a soft spot in my heart for them. What a story.

jvt1984 June 17 2014 at 1:18 AM

There are some bats that come on my back porch at night and poop on the wall of the house. Hmmm. Maybe I could hook up something electrical that would just run them off, not harm them. I believe they eat mosquitoes, don't they? We have plenty enough mosquitoes to share with them.

blo2thehead June 17 2014 at 4:18 AM

Darn...I thought I was going to read about someone's son coming home from the war and surprising them.

endmillll June 17 2014 at 6:19 AM

There mouths looked like a few on capital hill not counting my x wife.

sindfetish June 17 2014 at 7:51 AM