Oregon high school shooter's father apologizes in letter

Oregon High School Shooter's Father Apologizes In Letter

The father of the high school freshman suspected of shooting and killing a classmate and injuring a teacher before killing himself is speaking out.

KPTV reports Michael Padgett wrote a letter on his and his ex-wife's behalf, apologizing to the family of Emilio Hoffman, who died when police say Jared Padgett shot and killed in a locker room at Reynolds High School in Oregon Tuesday.

According to The Oregonian, KPTV was the first news outlet in Portland to get the hand-delivered written statement Friday, but by Saturday other outlets had gotten the same statement.

In the statement, Padgett also said he couldn't believe what his son was accused of doing - using phrases like "horrified and distraught" and "deeply confused and shocked." (Via KOIN)

Padgett also says his family has never condoned violence. A family friend of nearly 30 years told KGW-TV he and so many others saw no warning signs from Jared before the shooting.

Police say the suspected shooter got the guns used in Tuesday's shooting from his family's house.

Those guns were locked up, but a Oregon senator Ginny Burdick told KATU Michael Padgett should be held criminally responsible for the shooting since she claims he didn't properly lock up his guns.

"To have those in your house entails a lot of responsibility for keeping them from falling into the wrong hands. And in that case, the guns ended up at school."

KATU reports the senator wants state lawmakers to pass legislation that would hold gun owners criminally responsible if a child gets access to their firearms. As for this week's shooting, a public funeral service for Emilio Hoffman is scheduled for next Sunday.

bd2thebone June 15 2014 at 3:18 PM

Today I swung my front door wide open and placed my Remington 30.06 right in my doorway. I left 6 shells beside it, then left it alone and went about my business. While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor boy across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near the front of our house. After about an hour, I checked on the gun. It was still sitting there, right where I had left it. It hadn't moved itself outside. It certainly hadn't killed anyone, even with the numerous opportunities it had been presented to do so. In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself. Well you can imagine my surprise, with all the media hype about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people. Either the media is wrong or I'm in possession of the laziest gun in the world.
The United States is 3rd in Murders throughout the World. But if you take out Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC and New Orleans, the United States is 4th from the bottom for Murders. These 4 Cities also have the toughest Gun Control Laws in the United States. All 4 are controlled by Democrats.

It would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data – right?

Well, I'm off to check on my spoons.
I hear they're making people fat.

Hikari June 15 2014 at 2:19 PM

Trying to hold the father of this boy criminally responsible for weapons that have already been stated WERE LOCKED UP, is just horrifyingly stupid. It doesn't matter how 'locked' something is, if someones determined to do harm, a lock, no matter how complex, isn't going to stop the deranged mind from doing what it wants. If it wasn't a gun, it would have been a knife, or his fists. Trying to persecute a father who is already suffering a turmoil of emotions and grief is NOT the way to handle this. He's being punished enough as it is and he will have to suffer from this for the rest of his days. This is just another politician who's trying to seek out more votes from the right wings and it's disgusting.

mikesells4u June 15 2014 at 2:46 PM

In reference to the proposed law if a minor steals a car is the car owner criminaly liable? If a minor breaks into a drug store and steals drugs is the drug store criminaly liable? If a minor steals liquor from a house are the homeowners responsible?
I fail to understand why some people are always trying to pin blame on someone other than the people that commit the crime in the first place.
Example: A man rapes an attractive woman wearing a short skirt. Is the woman at fault, the skirt at fault, the store that sold the skirt, the company that manufacutred the skirt, the designer that designed the skirt, the parents that got together and created the attractive woman, or the rapest?

jwfoust June 15 2014 at 2:46 PM

Raising kids is a complicated process. Some do a horrible job and the kid turns out great. Some do a great job and the kid turns out to be a serial killer. Do the best you can. At some point that person will become their own person. Unless the family truly was to blame I see no reason to punish them for the action of others, regardless of the fact it's a son or daughter. Lives were lost. A horrible Fathers Day for some.

orion15stars jwfoust June 16 2014 at 1:44 AM

The blame lies in bringing firearms into the house in the first place and storing them there. That is firearms violence waiting to happen.

Mary June 15 2014 at 2:55 PM

Just because a gun is "locked up", it does not mean it cannot be obtained. All it takes is determination. I believe that is what happened in this case. It is not the father's fault.

cact25 Mary June 16 2014 at 1:19 AM

We don't even know what is meant by "locked up". It could mean it was in a locked glass case which can be easily broken, or it could mean it was in a safe that was locked.

orion15stars Mary June 16 2014 at 1:43 AM

Yes, it is. The father put them in home to be accessed by family members in the first place.

stimpy58 June 15 2014 at 2:34 PM

Aother comment from a politican who shows she is blantaly stupid and should be removed from office.The guns were locked up. The kid found a way to defeat the locks. Lady how dumb can you get??? no don't answer that you can't get more stupid than you are.

cact25 stimpy58 June 16 2014 at 1:24 AM

Then I guess the "locks" were not very good, were they? Hold parents liable for shootings that could have been prevented by a person using reasonable caution? No. Leaving guns easily obtainable? Yes. Criminally? No. Civil liability? Yes.

orion15stars stimpy58 June 16 2014 at 1:53 AM

I get it. When the laws are conservative to protect the general public, the politicians are "stupid and should be removed from office". When politicians act the anarchist making firearms ultra-liberally legally available to all and no firearms controls demanded, those politicians are "smart and should stay in office until they die there". Right . Orwellian Newspeak Karl Rove demands to propagandize into the brains of everyone in the US nation. Up is down, right is left, liberal is conservative, and it's good to be bad, and bad to be good. Got it.

How dumb does a human have to be to lack understanding that a child cannot access in the home what isn't there to access? There are chimpanzees, dolphins, elephants, wolves and meerkats with more logic skills and conscience than mentally unstable firearms worshippers devoid of both.

DADDIO orion15stars June 16 2014 at 6:46 AM

So in your opinion while you have kids in the home no car in the garage, no alcohol in the home and certainly no prescriptions in the home because those kids might get a hold of them and cause mayhem

Flag +3 rate up
onemadashell orion15stars June 16 2014 at 8:40 AM

you are an IGNORANT FOOL.

Flag 0 rate up
dtsv180 June 15 2014 at 6:49 PM

When my children were growing up I always had 4 shotguns hanging on the wall. I also had a hand gun next to my chair. They were never shot. Friends would visit throughout the decades for parties and the guns just sat there. bd2thebone only had one lazy gun. I had five. I do know this. If they take my gun the bad guys will have guns. Right now the bad guys don't know if they come in my home they will get shot or not, but if you take away guns then the bad guys will have a gun free society to do with what they wish.

treyn87957 June 15 2014 at 3:28 PM

LOCKS ONLY KEEP HONEST PEOPLE HONEST

clarkkentdlyplnt June 15 2014 at 3:36 PM

My daughter used to cut school and they made me responsible and tried to fine me. I took my daughter into the counselors office and the counselor sent her on to class. By the time I went to my car to get her forgotten lunch and return it to the counselor for her lunch, she had already left the school. How was I to keep her in school when even the school couldn't. Point is they locked up the guns to the best of their ability and the young man still got them out. You can't punish parents for not knowing it was not enough. Are police officer parents not to bring home their weapons? Are parents who are hunters to give up hunting until their children have grown? No, they lock them up to the best of their ability. Teenagers can get into a gun safe quicker than they can download music, I've seen them do it. There is no perfect world.

Eric Cox June 15 2014 at 4:47 PM

It must be the fault of George Bush right libtards.

rostra Eric Cox June 15 2014 at 7:02 PM

Nope, it's ignorant comments like yours, contributing to the political civil war in our country. Many brave Liberals fought with me in service, the Honorable Daniel Inouye was awarded the Medal of Honor, and you insult them, grow up. Better yet, go enlist, and quit acting like a little teddie nugent, all talk, no walk.

World Series