Florida man calls 911, gets voicemail

Florida Man Calls 911, Gets Voicemail

A violent home invasion got even scarier for one Florida resident when he called 911 and got transferred to voicemail.

Four men reportedly broke into a home in New Port Richey and began attacking three people, even threatening an infant with a gun while they demanded cash and prescription pills.

The man who called police was connected to a dispatcher who tried to transfer his call to local police, but it obviously didn't work - so he turned to his next option for protection: a gun.

Officials released the timeline showing that deputies were sent to the home less than four minutes after the original call and say the mix up didn't slow down the response time.

Three of the men were caught and detectives are still looking for the 4th suspect.

dewlady357 June 14 2014 at 6:20 PM

Too bad he didn't shoot every damned one of them. I certainly would have and I am a 73 year old woman who does NOT back down from a situation like this. Four years ago 4 mexican punks tried to steal my purse off my arm. I turned to the one closet to me and kicked his ass....literally....I kicked his ass! Another one laughed and I sprayed pepper spray in his eyes..he went down like the cowardly bastard he was. The other two ran away with the ass kicked coward right behind them. You HAVE to protect yourself. If I would be home and someone would break into my house, their ass would be mine and theirs would be dead dead dead! I don't know what stopped this man from shooting all four of them. I am a responsible gun owner, have a permit, have taken shooting lessons. I have a gun safe which will take me less then one minute to unlock. I also have a state of the art alarm system in my home. Overkill? I think NOT. Not in THIS day and age. Not a bit

Frank June 14 2014 at 6:44 PM

Remember people...

The only gun control we need, is using both hands.

sirbosk1 June 14 2014 at 6:05 PM

They were sent 4 minutes AFTER the call. That's insane! The called did what he had to do, armed himself and protected the other people. The dispatchers should be fired.

Wally June 14 2014 at 5:32 PM

The man needs training he only shot one...

edwsrtn June 14 2014 at 6:28 PM

Thank you for calling 911. If you speak and understand ENGLISH PRESS 1.
If you don't speak English PRESS 2.
If you are being Rob or invaded HANG UP AND GET YOUR GUN.

Ian June 14 2014 at 6:38 PM

LOCK AND LOAD!!!! police are strictly a reactive force, not a proactive one

rbpratt887 June 14 2014 at 6:04 PM

when do you think the sheeple will learn---there are way too many who have no regard for the law, decency, or the rights of others---only one way to deal with such vermin scum suckers

generalsnafu June 14 2014 at 5:41 PM

Yup, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. What happened? I'm pretty sure he had more than one round in that gun. I was hoping they would say, the fourth one was dead.

lckspt June 14 2014 at 5:50 PM

not sure that this is a story, but there is not a lot of confidence that is imparted to the caller/victim when either you get voice mail/transferred to someone else when you dial 911. We are all under the assumption that when you call 911 you expect help now. Might want to rethink your home defense and emergency plans. just sayin......

kitharris1 June 14 2014 at 5:58 PM

we need to stop this man from shooting criminals, lets make it illegal for him to have a gun.

1414020760515