Woman with stage 4 cancer survives seven days stuck in car

Woman With Stage 4 Cancer Survives 7 Days Stuck In Car

A seven-day search for 62-year-old Eileen Springer finally ended when a man driving on a dirt road found a car stuck in the mud with Springer still inside. Fox News reports, "Police say that she was disoriented and had gotten her car stuck in the mud in a spot where drivers couldn't see her."

A Silver Alert was issued for Springer in Oklahoma when she disappeared after running errands, according to KOKI: "Surveillance cameras captured her shopping for groceries. That was the last time Springer used her debit card."

Springer was quite the survivor. She ate the groceries she had just bought and drank rainwater she collected in a shopping bag. "She may be weak in body sometimes, but her mind and her spirit is amazing," said daughter Ricki Bateman.

KTUL says Springer didn't have a cell phone, and her medical condition made it nearly impossible to find help: "With stage 4 cancer and lung problems, she was unable to look or even shout for help."

Police searching for Springer were expecting the worst says KOTV. An officer stated, "To have a positive outcome like this is really good for us and wonderful for the family."

Springer moved in with her daughter and grandchildren only four days before she disappeared. "She shouldn't be driving anymore, and what a terrible babysitter I am," Bateman says.

Springer is reportedly at a hospital and recovering from dehydration and a kidney infection ... but she's apparently already telling jokes.

d1anaw June 14 2014 at 7:08 AM

If my daughter called herself my "babysitter" she'd be finding another mother. That is so disrespectful.

Linda June 14 2014 at 8:00 AM

I wonder WHO wrote this article coz they are a LOUSY reporter when they can claim 74 year old to weak to call for help and then you read the story and it says the lady was 62! Hey you whoever wrote this......go back to school and learn how to really report a story. GET YOUR FACTS CORRECT PLEASE!

reelanimals June 14 2014 at 6:38 AM

Headline says 74 yr old nd the article says she is 62 Which is it?

msdaubie54 June 14 2014 at 2:05 PM

What a survivor!!! I happy for this outcome!!!

goldberg18 June 14 2014 at 10:17 AM

This is why people should carry cell phones with you every where you go.

cgssnavickas June 14 2014 at 11:18 AM

If she was that weak she never should have been driving in the first place. Take away her license, let the county take her shopping. A lot of towns have buses for seniors to take them to stores, doctor appointments, etc. She should look into that.

audioknot1 June 14 2014 at 10:42 AM

Irresponsible person. Irresponsible family.

sylvabugg2 June 14 2014 at 1:19 PM

This is just bad decision making all the way around and it almost cost this woman her life. I have heart problems too, and arthritis, and I always carry a cell phone with me and I rarely ever leave town by myself. If this woman was running errands, what was she doing out in the middle of nowhere? It's obviously not the usual route she takes to get home or that would have been the first place most normal folk would have checked. I just don't get it.

gramargo sylvabugg2 June 14 2014 at 6:57 PM

She had moved there only four days before. Nobody could see her car from the main road, and she didn't have the strength to walk back to it. By the way, I don't have a cell phone either, but have never been in a situation where I'd have needed one, either.

romag46 June 14 2014 at 3:32 PM

Can't everyone just say..." Way to go, to her for surviving for a week alone like that ? "
Sometimes getting out and driving to the grocery store can be better than sitting around doing nothing......it can help give an independent boost to one fightng a disease. I do agree that she should have had a cell phone or at least a life alert thngy. I'm so glad they found her and that she was strong enough to survive.

smiles41 June 14 2014 at 1:35 PM

You go, girl! Age has little to do with the desire or will to survive. Sometimes, it takes something like this for relatives to understand their family member's disabilities. Glad this had a positive turnout and I hope she continues to beat the odds for survival time.

romag46 smiles41 June 14 2014 at 3:34 PM