'Late Show': Regis Philbin explains hitchhiking in NYC

'Late Show': Regis Philbin Explains Hitchhiking In New York City

Regis Philbin paid his pal, David Letterman, a visit over on the "Late Show," and of course they talked about that hitchhiking story.

About a week ago, TMZ posted a video of Philbin taking a ride from a couple of complete strangers. Of course, the video went viral.

BuzzFeed, USA Today, and TMZ were left wondering why the legendary host would be hitchhiking around Manhattan.

Well, Philbin finally explained the whole thing to Letterman -- he needed to get to the CBS studios for an appearance, but the network didn't send a car. Philbin said, "Nothing for Regis!"

Not mention that no cabs were stopping for him. However, a random white van did pull up -- with two fans inside.

Philbin insisted, "[They were] nice guys, so we had a nice little chat. We had a few laughs. I got out at 57th street. Before I know it, 'Regis Is Seen Hitchhiking!'"

Letterman couldn't believe the story, but Regis didn't seem to think he did anything wrong. He said the guys loved him!

As TheWrap highlighted, Letterman told his buddy that usually, stories like this end with police finding a decomposing body in Staten Island three months later.

Uproxx is still confused as to why a living legend like Philbin had such trouble hailing a cab –- or why he couldn't just call a car service himself.

SMCLEOD June 13 2014 at 1:12 PM

Instead of trying to paint this in a negative light. We should be looking for those two guys and give them an applaud for the good deed. what are we thinking. These guys show what america should be about.

Brenda June 13 2014 at 1:00 PM

This doesn't make Regis look bad . . it makes CBS Studios look bad. What were THEY thinking?!?

imopettibone Brenda June 13 2014 at 4:40 PM

agree!

cagw131 Brenda June 13 2014 at 5:15 PM

I totally agree with Brenda. CBS looks pretty bad on this one!!

Ray June 13 2014 at 2:28 PM

I wish Cash Cab would have picked up Regis. That would had been a funny show.

stildreaming June 13 2014 at 2:22 PM

Regis is a fine, friendly, and, personable man. When he was in Los Angeles I used to see him at Jack La Lane's on Wilshire Blvd. He always returned a greeting and extended one to everyone. His fame didn't go to his head, he was a regular guy.

Lexus June 13 2014 at 1:15 PM

Regis is a smart man and knows how to get FREE publicity .

dtsv180 June 13 2014 at 5:29 PM

I love Regis. I wish he never left Live with Regis. Never missed a show. Just a class act. I am glad things turned out well for him. I am sure Joy let him know that he is not to do that again.

southlock June 13 2014 at 5:00 PM

love you regis

dltanner7 June 13 2014 at 5:44 PM

Hitchhiking used to be fun way to go places and meet people when I was a teenager. My brother and I hitched rides to Galveston County, Bolivar and had lot's of good times, but it took a serious turn when those creeps in Houston started torturing and murdering those young men and buried their bodies off of the same highway on the beach during the same time. We just didn't know how lucky we were, we may have rode in the car with those perves. After that I always carried a big knife, the days of innocence were lost, it's those kinds of things that make people not trust hitchhiking as a viable way to travel.

mcrowellflorida June 13 2014 at 4:58 PM

Love Regis!!!

The Canoli King June 13 2014 at 10:06 PM

Where was Gelman when you really needed him????

World Series