Texas Gov. Rick Perry draws comparison between homosexuality, alcoholism

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry drew a comparison between alcoholism and homosexuality, during a visit that also dealt with economic issues.

Perry's comments to the Commonwealth Club of California came after Texas' Republican Convention on Saturday sanctioned platform language allowing Texans to seek voluntary counseling to "cure" being gay.

The San Francisco Chronicle http://bit.ly/1oWq0qR reports that in response to a question about it, Perry said he did not know whether the therapy worked.

Perry, a former and potential future GOP presidential candidate, was then asked whether he believed homosexuality was a disorder.

The paper says that the governor responded that "whether or not you feel compelled to follow a particular lifestyle or not, you have the ability to decide not to do that."

He said: "I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that, and I look at the homosexual issue the same way."

The Texas Republican platform stand on the issue is in contrast to California and New Jersey, which have previously banned licensed professionals from providing such therapy to minors.

During the bulk of his talk, Perry held up his own state as a model for responsible energy production and economic growth in California.

Perry said he believes Texas is leading the way in achieving energy independence by producing crude oil and electricity in many forms, including solar power.

Perry also suggested that deregulating electricity had started a boom for renewable energy in Texas, which he called the nation's leading developer of wind energy.

Perry said shale drilling techniques had doubled oil production in Texas, and he urged Californians to tap the full energy potential in its Monterey Shale.

On Tuesday, Perry drove up to California's state capital of Sacramento in a Tesla Model S electric car - underscoring his desire to lure a Tesla battery factory to Texas.

krf1942 June 12 2014 at 5:49 AM

Ah, more pearls from this woefully inept less than human being. Please run, you will provide much needed fodder for late night comedians and anyone with a modicum of intelligence and decency.

Practical Nomad June 12 2014 at 6:48 AM

Perry said...."whether or not you feel compelled to follow a particular lifestyle or not, you have the ability to decide not to do that."

OK Rick, stop being Heterosexual, decide not to do that - right now.

Perhaps we can send you to a psychologist or clinic to cure you? Certainly you weren't born Heterosexual, it's an orientation you chose.

leogeee June 12 2014 at 5:42 AM

So, in terms of being gay, if you are "on the wagon" according to Mr. Perry, are you gay or not? If I dye my hair blonde, am I a blonde? Do my roots count? (I think I'm a brunette). So it's all about pretending for social acceptance?

onionson June 12 2014 at 5:48 AM

I am a heterosexual conservative Republican Christian and I sort of like Perry but he has said many stupid things and I think this is one of them. Alcoholism might have some genetic link but is also classified as a disease that can be cured or well managed like some genetic disorders. Being gay might have some genetic link but I doubt it can be cured anymore than the color of hair that grows out of your head or the color of your eyes. Is there a cure for brown eyes? Being Black or Irish is genetic. Can you use force of will to chose being something else? IF it turns out I am right and there is a God THEN I plan on asking him about all this. It is one of the few "ethical conflicts of interest" I have not worked out concerning his righteous plan. Until then I will treat gays as Christ commanded and will have faith that a good answer will be forthcoming.

Gene June 12 2014 at 6:03 AM

Perry is spot on. I concur.

bikerat57 June 12 2014 at 6:11 AM

The state of Texas, and all its red-necked yahoos including its idiot mayor can leave the union. That way, their immigration problem would be solved; namely, the Mexicans would overflow the borders in hoards and have a second Alamo- the Mexicans would annex Texas and the union would send no troops in to save them from their lunacy. There is nothing about Texas that is BIG except they are wrong about just about everything.

rjen164497 June 12 2014 at 6:24 AM

Hurray for an honest politican. Perry governed a very, very well run state. It is refreshing to hear someone speak truthfully without concern for potitical correctness.

Goddess Toby June 12 2014 at 5:45 AM

Idiot.

stengernc June 12 2014 at 6:48 AM

One of the major problems with all religions is that mere humans are assuming to be judges of others when it is God who commands and judges all who wish to enter his kingdom. Can't we just let God do his job and let humanity find its way without hate, discrimination or condemnation....we certainly are not qualified to be judges, so all you mighty then now hypocrites like Mr. Perry and Fox News....get a life, the rest of us will pray for you.

blo2thehead June 12 2014 at 3:04 PM

This guy gets too deep into his issues with gays and creates more curiosity with pitchers wanting to be catchers as well.
However if he would just explain that dipping your Dodger dog into someone's Hershey squirts is filthy and perverse, I think it's enough said.
Have a nice day.

orion15stars blo2thehead June 12 2014 at 3:18 PM

Then why do those only claiming to be heterosexual do that to their opposite sex partners? Why don't you explain that?