Rare twin colts born in Kentucky

Rare Twin Colts Born In Ky.

If you like horses, basketball and the unexpected, this story's for you. Fox News reports that, "One in 10,000 - those are the odds of these rare twin colts being born. Their owner in Kentucky named them Aaron and Andrew."

See the colts and other rare animal births:

You heard that right - 1 in 10,000. If that's not the most adorable defiance of odds, we don't know what is.

WHAS says the colts, Aaron and Andrew, are healthy as well, which makes the situation that much more unusual.

According to Kentucky Equine Research, twin embryos are often lost within the first weeks after breeding. If both fetuses survive for all stages of development, the delivery poses a high risk of losing all the horses, including the mother.

Owner Danny Benningfield was shocked and thankful when he came to the stable and found two healthy horses. But, next came the obvious question - what should he name them?

Besides breeding horses, Benningfield's other love is University of Kentucky basketball. In honor of the program, his previous horses have been given names such as: Coach Rupp, Coach Cal and Blue, which is UK's main color. But this time he was looking for two names that go perfectly together.

Draft Express reports that's when Benningfield's grandchildren thought to honor Kentucky basketball's own famous twins, Aaron and Andrew Harrison, who led the team to the championship game last season.

LAURA June 11 2014 at 3:08 PM

Name them Pete and Repete

dupreehap LAURA June 11 2014 at 7:13 PM

I LIKE IT ! HOW CUTE !

Sandy Rinehart Bratc June 11 2014 at 4:43 PM

My Mare delivered twins and they only lived 48 hrs. So weak I had to milk her and then feed them every 4 hours. It was very hard to lose them. The first vet did not identify twins and actually told me the breeding did not take. Then months later she was acting lethargic and looked pregnant so a second vet was called in and told us we had one big baby coming. 2 weeks later she delivered two beautiful foals , but they just couldn't make it. It is very rare. I'll never breed again. Thank God my Mare was fine but she changed emotionally.

dupreehap Sandy Rinehart Bratc June 11 2014 at 7:22 PM

I HOPE YOUR GIRL GRIEVES THE WAY SHE NEEDS TO AND GETS BETTER WITH TIME . I WISH ANIMALS COULD KNOW LIKE WE DO THAT CREATION GOES BACK TO GOD .

I WATCHED A DEPRESSED DOG RECOVER WHEN HE WAS PUT IN WITH PUPPIES . HE WAS SO HAPPY THEN . I HOPE YOU CAN TRY THAT WITH YOUR LADY : MAYBE OTHER FOALS OR EVEN BABIES OF ANOTHER SPECIES !

THEY UNDERSTAND DEATH EVEN THOUGH THEY MIGHT GRIEVE , BUT THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND DISAPPEARANCE . I DO NOT KNOW HER WHOLE STORY BUT IF THAT HELPS ANY UNDERSTANDING ... .

Trish Sandy Rinehart Bratc June 11 2014 at 11:36 PM

Sandy R. I am sorry you lost the baby horses, that would rip my heart out also. The Mare you say has changed...don't you think horses have felllings, she knows her babies died and she is hurting over it, poor thing she can't talk to any one about it either, I am a firm believer that animals do have feelings.

Mrs. Erickson June 11 2014 at 3:58 PM

good story, and they are both healthy that is the main thing.

Zsurn June 11 2014 at 4:36 PM

Why do they bother to show video? The broadcaster reads exactly what is printed below and they don't show any different pictures.
The twins are adorable.

millsworth Zsurn June 11 2014 at 6:45 PM

I think they do it for the huge majority of Americans who are illiterate or just plain lazy.

yayabeanes Zsurn June 12 2014 at 8:47 AM

For the blind.

hellyon3too June 11 2014 at 7:27 PM

Not only is it a rare birth, but one of them appears to be a "medicine hat." A very rare and special marking highly revered by Native Americans.

Lonny June 11 2014 at 4:08 PM

"mare mother"

Is this as opposed to "stud father"?

tony Lonny June 11 2014 at 11:50 PM

Ya vole

Elizabeth Lonny June 12 2014 at 6:12 AM

Well, at least it isn't "mare father"!

moonakiss007 June 11 2014 at 3:57 PM

Ahhh not so rare, my friends mare just gave birth to twins and all are very healthy and happy,

lgvxl42 moonakiss007 June 11 2014 at 4:08 PM

.........Your friends mare, is she the two-legged variety?

neb1997 moonakiss007 June 11 2014 at 6:47 PM

Actually, it is very rare for a mare to give birth to live twins that are able to survive beyond a few hours or days. However, twiin pegnancies in horses are fairly common, but most breeders will have their vet "pinch off" one embryo so that the ramaining one is much more likely to go full term and be born perfeclty healthy. Most twin pregancies in horses are "slipped" at some point, much too early and both foals are lost.

green gate farm June 11 2014 at 4:11 PM

Glad to see mother and offspring are doing fine. I think the names are silly, at least for a horse.

Bethany Henninger Go green gate farm June 11 2014 at 5:38 PM

I agree. I pause the video because it is distracting and I don't need someone to read to me. Guess the reading is for those who did not pay attention in school.

yayabeanes Bethany Henninger Go June 12 2014 at 8:48 AM

Or they are blind...Poor eyesight, too.

Flag +1 rate up
MICHELLE green gate farm June 11 2014 at 8:20 PM

If you want to see some really silly names, check out the names given to racehorses. I think Aaron and Andrew are refreshing, especially given that the names were chosen in honor of twin players on the owners favorite college basketball team.

Chuck and Rose June 12 2014 at 7:16 AM

I did not notice what breed they are. At first I thought they were thoroughbreds from the picture of the stalls and the looks of the dam, but as soon as I saw the colts, they do not look like thoroughbreds.
So, what are they, ponies as they say on the backstretch???

barbaranotbear Chuck and Rose June 12 2014 at 8:17 AM

Paint horses!

drbdcl June 11 2014 at 3:59 PM

named after twins on UK basketball team clever like the idea

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal