Paula Deen launching digital network

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) - Celebrity cook Paula Deen, whose career was derailed after she admitted using racial slurs, is going digital.

Paula Deen Ventures, a new company formed to help launch a comeback for Deen, announced plans Wednesday for the creation of the Paula Deen Network. The paid subscription-based network is set to launch in September and will be accessible by computer, smartphone or tablet.

The network will feature daily programming in an unscripted format with new recipes, episodes and cooking tools.

"We're going to have so much fun being together and cooking up some wonderful new and classic dishes," Deen said in a news release. "Y'all can get my recipes, tips and cooking anytime you want - this is for you. I can't wait to crank up the oven and get cooking for the people I love: my family, my friends and my fans!"

Production for the network began last month at a new studio in Savannah that has been designed to look like the set of her first television show, "Paula's Home Cooking." The set was built to accommodate a live studio audience, and guest appearances are planned.

The announcement of the digital network is the latest step in a comeback strategy Deen kicked off in February when she announced a deal with the Najafi Companies, an Arizona-based private investment firm that's putting millions into rebooting her public career.

Wednesday's announcement comes about a year after a sworn statement by Deen that she had used racial slurs in the past became public. The Food Network and other corporate sponsors soon parted company with Deen. Her offending comments surfaced during a court deposition in a lawsuit by a former employee making harassment and discrimination claims against Deen and her brother, Bubba Hiers. The suit was settled in August.

Deen is currently on a cross-country tour with her 90-minute "Paula Deen Live!" show that features a mix of cooking demonstrations, games with audience members and personal stories. The shows in Piegon Forge, Tennessee, on June 21 and 22 will feature a preview of the Paula Deen Network.

In addition to the dishes Deen is known for, she'll also include healthy and budget-friendly meals. The programming for the digital network will include both short-form and long-form content, including shows like "20-Minute Meals," ''Paula Cooking Light" and "One Dish, Three Ways."

Paula Deen Turns to the Web for Her New Venture

Top Searches Related to Paula Deen
1. Recipes
2. The Food Network
3. Southern cooking

gramcar2 June 11 2014 at 11:50 AM

HURRAY FOR PAULA!!!! WILL BE HAPPY TO SEE HER AGAIN!!

RSHta June 11 2014 at 12:04 PM

Welcome back Paula.....this whole situation was so overblown.....
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade........you are.............

ppllaanntt June 11 2014 at 11:48 AM

Yeah,,,,I always see black people in the news for using racial slurs against white people....Please.

Rebecca Cullum June 11 2014 at 11:57 AM

Good for the company that is investing in this and good for her. She has been through a lot for a remark she made 20 years ago. How cruel!

joseph0958 Rebecca Cullum June 11 2014 at 2:31 PM

I give this lame business venture 6 months #fail...

boytoy4her June 11 2014 at 12:03 PM

it's sad so many are unforgiving of her words of 30 years ago.

Amazing how Mike and the others need to call anyone racist.

The word Racism no longer means what it did, just a thing to call people you don't agree with and hope with that taint they won't speak anymore.

jama1830 June 11 2014 at 12:04 PM

Good Luck Paula !! I am so looking forward for this. I have missed you so much. You have been through so much and did NOT deserve it. Bless you and your family. Love You, Marcia

Miss Sonja June 11 2014 at 12:18 PM

Is that the best picture you could find of Paula to put on your homepage, Huff Post?
I think you find the worst pictures you can find to trash someone you don't like. YOUR bias is showing!

goodsosm June 11 2014 at 12:28 PM

I was glad she was gone, so sad to see her trying to come back. I used to be a fan, but she lost me back when it was made known that she had Diabetes for 3 years - cooking the same way. Then when she got an endorsement deal with a Diabetes drug company she wanted everyone to know. Anthony Bordain was spot on with his criticism of her.
I think she's a GREEDY OLD CRONE!

Mike June 11 2014 at 11:48 AM

I'm going to invest in cotton since everyone who subscribes will be wearing sheets.

Ray June 11 2014 at 12:02 PM

Paula I think you’re finished. You can put what’s left of the chicken wing down now.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal