Teen graduates high school, college at the same time

Teen Graduates High School, College At The Same Time

While most secondary students play sports or join clubs, one Minnesota teen decided to use his time before graduating high school to ... well, graduate college.

Bryan and Stacy Greer told KARE their 18-year-old son David was always a smart kid but never very motivated - until he started high school, that is. "I think he just realized one day that 'Hey, I think I can get this done really fast,' and he became internally motivated."

David earned his associate degree in 11th grade after taking advantage of Post-Secondary Enrollment Options at his high school. 'I figured the quicker I can get through it get on with my life and get a job. that's the way to do it.'

Hometown Source reports David then used the same options to enroll full-time at the University of Minnesota, Morris in his senior year of high school.

He said, "The PSEO program at the University of Minnesota at Morris has been amazing. ... I'm extremely grateful to the university for helping me to speed up my education beyond anything I could have imagined. ... My education at Morris has given me a solid foundation for my future career."

Northfield News reports David earned his degree in statistics without going into debt and is currently applying for several jobs at the age of 18.

Pretty impressive, David. But, you've been one-upped.

WFOR reports a teen in Hollywood, Florida, finished off this last semester with a degree in criminal justice before her high school diploma. Grace Bush finished the four-year degree in three years, and she's only 16 years old.

Slow down! You're making the rest of us look bad! David said he's looking for an actuary job and Grace said she wants to go to law school.

kcarthey June 10 2014 at 8:02 AM

This is truly stunning when one realizes how difficult a Statistics Major really is. This kid is remarkable and has the potential to be very, very wealthy very, very soon given the demand for and salaries of actuaries.

boardsrbetter kcarthey June 10 2014 at 11:03 AM

And the parents are being nice and modest, "He wasnt motivated until high school, I guess he motivated himself". Things like this dont happen, and children like this dont exist without proper parenting. Kudos to the parents for raising such an astounding man.

And of course kudos to the young man for making this happen. This isnt something easy. He really had to work and sacrifice to do this. Power to you!

Karen boardsrbetter June 10 2014 at 2:18 PM

And to Grace Bush!

Flag 0 rate up
d1anaw kcarthey June 10 2014 at 10:57 PM

No kidding. Anyone who has ever had to take that awful class knows that. Kudos to a kid who didn't spend his spare time being an idiot like most of his contemporaries.
My step-grandson graduated today with high honors. I taught him to read, so it was a particularly proud moment for me. Almost made me think I should go back to teaching, but not the way things are now.

nordengto June 10 2014 at 9:22 AM

These teens are our future, they are awesome. Kudos.

vafilec_39 June 10 2014 at 10:21 AM

Its wonderful to know that these great teens walk among us. Its stories of this nature that make us know that the bad ones are lacking in knowledge & brains.

napa422 June 10 2014 at 10:50 AM

WE NEED MORE KIDS LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

gserlin June 10 2014 at 10:46 AM

Too fast. Take the time to enjoy your youth while you are still young. The job of life will catch up to you faster than you think.

boardsrbetter gserlin June 10 2014 at 3:15 PM

This is true as well, you only get to be a kid once....

But hell, at least the kid is motivated and has ambition

d1anaw gserlin June 10 2014 at 10:59 PM

Unfortunately ambintion and intelligence aren't well thought of in the entitlement generation. Most of their parents were raised and schooled during the Bush "mediocrity is enough" years. And it shows.

bootz6 June 10 2014 at 10:00 AM

It is so encouraging to find someone so motivated. Best of luck to him..!
And in Statistics ?

jansavard4 June 10 2014 at 11:30 AM

what an awesome pair of young people. If only they were the rule and not the exception. Good luck to both of them.

SHOOTER! June 10 2014 at 5:54 PM

It is sonice to hear about kids like this, they are the only hope we have. Stay humble but keep right on going. Life is not a football game... there is no second half. Before you know it the game will be over... so when you play, play hard, when you work, work hard, and someday you will be satisfied with yourself. We all salute you.

Christina June 14 2014 at 3:34 AM

So, why is the article about David Greer? His accomplishment is laudable. Grace Bush's accomplishment was greater, but she ends up as a 3-line footnote in Greer's article. From the article, I see that he is a White Man. She is a Black Woman.

pbutler111 June 10 2014 at 9:46 AM

I hate to tell you this, but getting an associates degree is NOT the same as "graduating college". At best, it's about the equivalent of completing half a bachelors degree. Great effort, but this kid is not a college graduate.

1413881924721