Ohio woman's 100th birthday wish: Doing yard work

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio (AP) - An Ohio woman who lives at a retirement home and turned 100 on Monday had just one wish for her birthday: She wanted to do some yard work and smell fresh-cut grass.

Trudy Price, of Bowling Green, has gotten her wish with the help of the grounds crew at Bowling Green State University. She pushed one of the university's mowers and then helped plant flowers near the student union on campus.

She also sat atop one of the crew's riding lawn mowers.

Price says staying active is important.

She says she has always loved of the smell of cut grass and still likes to go out for walks at the retirement community where she lives.

AURORA June 10 2014 at 3:23 PM

My mom is 101 and with the grace of God will turn 102 on July 13th. She came to live with me 17 years ago and was my gardener and cook as I was still working at the time. She loved to play in the dirt and unfortunately broke her shoulder 5 years ago and then I started doing the garden work under her supervision but I never lived up to her expectations...........LOL She's doing well and has been blessed. Still has her faculties and walks with a walker. She's an amazing woman with a beautiful smile. No one believes her age as she doesn't look it and also doesn't feel it.

Lambey June 10 2014 at 6:10 AM

Awww, that is sweet.

ssantoresr June 10 2014 at 8:35 AM

Great job Guys. Happy Birthday also. Hope you have many years ahead of you.

HanSolo VII June 10 2014 at 8:14 AM

100 years !! So happy for Trudy !! All the best of luck to her....may she enjoy another 20 years !! Happy Birthday,Trudy !!

al12exb June 10 2014 at 1:09 PM

the grounds keepers had a big heart..very noble of them to take time out of their working day to grant this wish.

jjdp June 10 2014 at 4:30 PM

Tough lady! Could you imagine the memories?

ksmdaisy June 10 2014 at 8:56 AM

HAPPY (Belated) Birthday, Trudy. WOW .. 100 Years. My mom just died at 91 years old. She'd been ill and in nursing home for 3 years. So happy to see someone live (healthfully) to this age! Several people where my mom was in nursing home were 99 years old. (And still thriving)!

bfor42 June 10 2014 at 12:55 PM

She can always come mow my lawn. I might even throw in a couple of bucks.

savannahswithgod bfor42 June 10 2014 at 4:59 PM

She can weed eat mine, sure she would enjoy running that around the herd of cats. Now and then the Lord pulls something out of his bag that makes some sense on their being a Lord!

Franco bfor42 June 10 2014 at 7:58 PM

Lol, said it after you not knowing you said it. We have a GREAT MIND. I mean GREAT! :O)

Calvin June 10 2014 at 12:53 PM

You go girl!

LL June 10 2014 at 10:39 PM

My 100th Birtdday wish would be to spend that day with prison inmates that still have a chance at someday being free, so that I can impart on them what truly matters in life - in the hope of breaking that cycle of repeat offenses, and then perhaps they too could make it to 100 - and Pass It Forward !

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal