Middle school yearbook makes fun of 'fat' students

Middle School Yearbook Makes Fun Of

BOISE, ID- An Idaho middle school's yearbook posed the question: "When I hear the word Twinkie I think of?"

The seemingly well-meaning question invited a lot of harsh responses from teens and tweens, like one who responded: "I think of fat kids, wait is that going in the yearbook, oh no no no, I think of the minions from despicable me!"

Surprisingly, this and other responses made it into the yearbook, upsetting parents like Lee Howard, who said, "It's always still okay to still make fun of the fat person especially the fat chick. It hurts. It hurts just as much."

Her daughter, who was also upset by the remarks, thinks the school is being hypocritical.
"They always advertise anti bullying, and how bullying is so wrong, but then they put this in the yearbook," the teen said.

How did this hurtful talk end up printed in the school's yearbook? The school district says yearbook's adult advisor was absent during important parts of the editing process and are trying to prevent something like this from happening in the future.

"That shouldn't have appeared in the yearbook," a representative from the school district said. "The content is not appropriate. It's sending a message that it's ok to make fun of children for anything -- their physical appearance or their demeanor. The kind of things you're really trying to prevent."

crowland503 June 10 2014 at 10:54 AM

I am fat, bald, and proud of it!!! Skinny people are obese-challenged! I am surprised that the school officials permit the politically incorrect comments! What uproar would they have stirred if bashing gays, lesbians, Muslins, Jews, or other sensitive-identified groups in this country? Also, do not use the lack of adult supervision as an excuse, since the "master copy" should have been thoroughly reviewed/screened and approved/disapproved with the signatures of the school officials!!!

uffan131 crowland503 June 10 2014 at 2:37 PM

Don't pretend like you're some kind of oppressed victim who just deserves to be treated with the utmost respect for your physically harmful body type

crowland503 uffan131 June 10 2014 at 3:00 PM

Are you jealous of my good looks? I am flattered that I have an admirer. If you need assistance in building your self worth due to your low opinion of your physical appearance, then I would suggest contacting your community health and mental office! Good luck.

Flag +9 rate up
jvt1984 June 10 2014 at 7:41 AM

This subject will bring a lot of controversy. One of my daughters was born with this obesity tendency from the very day of her birth, the other one not. The paternal grandmother fought this for many years and finally lost the battle to heart failure. My daughter has only recently made great strides to overcome the obesity, but the struggle goes on. Every single day she has to struggle, but it is worth every effort she makes. Her appearance continually improves, and diabetes disappeared, at least for now. I am so proud of her for her efforts. I am very well aware of genetics.

rockymtnleather jvt1984 June 10 2014 at 11:51 AM

Did you take any responsibility as a parent and feed her well rounded, healthy and nutritious meals when you realized she 'was born with this obesity tendency' ... or did you just let her eat whatever she wanted because you had a built in excuse at the ready?

nic nice jvt1984 June 10 2014 at 1:26 PM

My son had prader willi jvt1984 its hard!!!!

Meh... June 10 2014 at 10:04 AM

They were right. Anti Bullying campaign in full force, publishing bully type remarks in the yearbook was wrong. If the editor wasn't there that day, they should have waited until they were there to do the editing. Now these kids can look back in 20 yrs and think.... man I was a shallow A hole. Good for them. Being obese is a problem and should be taken seriously with the main goal of exercise. Kids these days don't do anything but sit on their arses and get bigger. Parents are to blame. That does not mean it is appropriate to publish these kinds of comments in the year book where they will keep them for the rest of their lives.

mnden99 Meh... June 10 2014 at 5:35 PM

I doubt that any of these kids will look back in 20 years and think they were shallow A holes. I'd almost guarantee they won't have changed and many will just have become worse.

jcroofing7a June 10 2014 at 10:54 AM

Can I just be the one to say I am glad that these kids associate this crap food with fat! The reality is that eating that garbage makes you fat. If you choose to be offended by that in wait til you hit the real world. Don't like being overweight...do something about it then. For the love of God can someone start teaching children about self control and taking responsibility for their actions...which includes the action of putting too much food in your mouth. I am sure this may offend people...but ya know what...I'M FAT! and I don't find it offensive! TWINKIES MAKE YOU FAT!! Newflash...I know it's a shocker, but there it is.

ratboy4444079930 June 10 2014 at 7:16 AM

IT'S NOT APPROPRIATE... to be obese.

proffjimbob June 10 2014 at 8:04 AM

You should never ask a question if you're not prepared for answers.

hensteeth June 10 2014 at 9:55 AM

So, freedom of expression's OK so long as no one's offended. This is where PC becomes Big Nanny. Freedom of expressions runs a constant risk of giving offense. It's the price we pay. Otherwise what is it about this country that makes us better?

hankmeeske June 10 2014 at 9:15 AM

eough crying from the fat folks, eat less shape up or ship out

Tessa June 10 2014 at 11:45 AM

what kind of answer were they expecting from a bunch of kids with that stupid question?!?!

lv2213frs June 10 2014 at 2:11 PM

Personally, I prefer the SnoBall -- especially the pink one.