Lighter bedrooms possibly linked to obesity

Lighter Bedrooms Possibly Linked To Obesity
A new study suggests shrinking your waistline might be as easy as unplugging.

A team at the Institute of Cancer Research found women have a greater risk of gaining weight if their bedroom was light enough to see across at night.

They say an increase in exposure to artificial light at night corresponded with an increase in obesity over the past century.The study looked at data from more than 100,000 women and found their body mass index, waist-hip ratio, waist-height ratio and waist circumference all increase when they were exposed to more light at night

- but

researchers caution there isn't enough evidence yet to prove that sleeping in complete dark will help you lose weight.

But shooting for a darker room might help you achieve better sleep

overall, and that's healthy.

Artificial light

can disrupt the body clock

by delaying melatonin production - the hormone that helps us sleep. So being surrounded by your TV, computer and phone screens late at night might make it harder to fall asleep.

dwtomczyk June 08 2014 at 2:55 PM

over eating is linked to obesity

mgm0803 June 08 2014 at 3:41 PM

that is just so much bullshit i can't believe someone would even write about it. guess what esle. living is linked to dying. centuries, even eons, have proven it. anything else?

dwneastchk mgm0803 June 08 2014 at 5:44 PM

No, it isn't BS at all. Look it up.

doonooch dwneastchk June 08 2014 at 6:37 PM

It's in the Bible. !!!

Flag 0 rate up
TK Steelies dwneastchk June 09 2014 at 7:43 AM

Look it up? You only have to read this garbage article to figure out it's a load of bs.

Flag +1 rate up
muffin June 08 2014 at 4:02 PM

I wonder how many of the 100,000 may have had jobs that required them to work the night shift I am surprised that the Institute of Cancer Research allowed this unscientific study to be released.

dwneastchk muffin June 08 2014 at 5:46 PM

How many skinny security guards do you know?

karen June 08 2014 at 3:01 PM

Really???!!! Baloney. I'd LOVE to know how they knew how 100,000 women were exposed to more or less light in their bedrooms at night! What constitutes "more light". "More light" than WHAT? Did they look at diet? Did they look at sleep patterns? Unbelievable that money is actually spent on garbage science like this. Please….cite the source for this "study" with names….

hm4mm June 08 2014 at 5:43 PM

It's the refrierator light that's causing the problems. If that wasan't constantly lighing up, there would be no problem.

healthisthepattern hm4mm June 09 2014 at 1:50 AM

hm4mm, I love your sense of humor! Thanks for the good laugh.

randesoup healthisthepattern June 09 2014 at 8:39 AM

ditto for me! LMAO

Flag 0 rate up
Freedom Writer June 08 2014 at 4:16 PM

Posters bashing these conclusions are short-sighted. More light means less sleep. When we sleep less, we eat more; that's been scientifically verified. It all makes perfect sense to me.

lv2213frs June 08 2014 at 4:06 PM

Can't believe I wasted the time reading this dumb taxpayer-funded study.

jansavard4 June 08 2014 at 8:08 PM

I too have done extensive research on this subject and I have found that overeating and lack of physical exercise cause obesity. Stop all the nonsense excuse making and just state the obvious "get up and move around and you wont be fat." Put out more than you take in and you'll be slim, it's not rocket science.

sulandherb jansavard4 June 08 2014 at 10:56 PM

You really need to do some research

tuey_user June 08 2014 at 6:52 PM

I have had sleep issues for a decade. I have had 2 sleep studies and done cognitive sleep behavior. While I'm not obese, I am over-weight and have type 2 diabetes. When you do not get deep sleep, you body doesn't produce enough of the right hormones. I bike 10 miles 5-6 days a week, walk 2 miles a day and each a very restrictive, healthy whole foods diet due to allergies. While this study seem simplistic, it does reinforce what I have learned. I'm really surprised at all the haters on this post.

dwneastchk tuey_user June 08 2014 at 8:47 PM

Sounds like time for a new mattress, some room darkening shades, and maybe an air purifier - with a fan.

tpatr74212 June 08 2014 at 6:50 PM

Are you kidding me? How much did we pay for this research? Does this make it easier to find your way to the refrigerator? America needs to wake up to one simple fact: How much you weigh is directly linked to how much you eat.

nebrostx tpatr74212 June 08 2014 at 7:37 PM

No, sorry. . Yes, overeating causes weight gain. But it's more complex than that. Why do people have such an aversion to science?

1414231996381