Woman claims CoverGirl mascara caused her to lose eyelashes

Woman Says She Lost Lashes After Using CoverGirl Bombshell Mascara

Women apply mascara expecting it to give them long, luscious lashes -- not to cause them to fall out. One Florida woman told ABC she found this out the hard way after using CoverGirl's Bombshell Volume mascara.

"I was using the eye makeup remover on a cotton ball and all of a sudden I looked down and on the cotton ball and into my hand was a chunk of lashes."

Reviews left on beauty supplier Ulta's website indicate Amy Schavolt isn't the only user who's been losing lashes when trying to remove this CoverGirl mascara.

Schavolt talked with WPTV about how worried she is about her missing eyelashes, so the news outlet spoke with a local doctor about the situation.

Dr. Alan Bauman repairs damaged eyelashes and said, "the eyelashes look traumatized." Doctor Bauman added, "Amy may have to conceal the lost lashes longer than she wants. Eyelashes can take some time to rebound. It could take, like, two to four months."

After news about Schavolt's missing eyelashes broke in the media, CoverGirl released a statement which was obtained by WFTS. "COVERGIRL Bombshell Mascara wears like a waterproof, and therefore it can be more difficult to remove than a regular mascara."

Shortly after that, it released another statement saying: "We've taken steps to more broadly communicate the need to use an oil-based remover with long-lasting mascaras." KMGH explains how to go about the removal process.

CoverGirl will now update its packaging to alert users to use oil-based makeup remover when removing their product.The cosmetics company also uploaded a tutorial to its YouTube page explaining how to apply and remove the mascara.

CoverGirl's new packaging will hit shelves in September. As for Schvolt, she says the company sent her a $15 voucher after she complained.

sherrywritepro June 09 2014 at 8:33 AM

"When us women put on mascara..." When "us women".. really? "US women?" Why on earth can AOL writers, editors and so-called "reporters" not made an attempt to use the simplest , correct English? Why contribute to the dumbing down of society? "Us women" should be " we women." Do you have no copy editors, script proof readers, or "reporters" who took basic elementary school English courses (and passed)?

Gloria June 09 2014 at 9:42 AM

What is wrong with you people? I've been using waterproof mascara since it came on the market. It never came with directions for removal, but my logic was, if it's "waterproof" water or water like removers probably aren't going to work. So, I used baby oil. Always have. Always works, no eye lash loss. It's called "common sense" but it probably isn't in todays world.

hensteeth June 09 2014 at 5:48 AM

A $15 voucher! -- such generosity takes my breath away! But my eyelashes remain.

ndtohvfun hensteeth June 09 2014 at 12:18 PM

i thought the exact same thing

mpiastra June 09 2014 at 6:23 AM

screw $15. what a joke!

ndtohvfun mpiastra June 09 2014 at 12:18 PM

exactly

Earthling mpiastra June 09 2014 at 4:10 PM

If it happened to me I would not sue, but if they sent me a $15 voucher THEN I would sue, what an insult! Worse than nothing at all!

happy2bgridfree Earthling June 09 2014 at 4:54 PM

The mascara did not cause her eyelashes to fall out. She used the wrong makeup remover and possibly rubbed too hard / picked at the dried clumps, trying to remove it. Her missing lashes didn't stop her from smelling deep pockets, though.

Flag +1 rate up
vivienne8 Earthling June 09 2014 at 5:43 PM

shows where your head is, "I would sue"....;...is that all you Americans think of, suing?

Flag 0 rate up
thumbyj June 09 2014 at 8:41 AM

I've used waterproof mascara for over 40 years, mostly Mabelline. I use generic baby oil to take it off. Never, ever had any problems with either one.

citykitty123 June 09 2014 at 6:31 AM

She must have been using the wrong eyemakeup remover and scrubbed really hard due to the discoloration around the eye. Waterproof mascara needs an oil based eyemakeup remover and you apply it to the cotton ball or cotton pad and hold it on the eyelashes for a minute to give the remover a chance to break down the makeup, it just doesn't swipe off easily.

zoomque June 09 2014 at 8:09 AM

This is why I never wear waterproof mascara. If I go someplace where I may get my face wet I just deal with the fact that my mascara will run. Better to run than to have no lashes.

morr1000 June 09 2014 at 7:54 AM

Hooey! I don't any more believe lash loss has anything to do with the remover. I think it's the mascara itself. I've always used an oil-based remover. I have used CoverGirl mascara since I was a teenager....years! But, for the last 9 years, I've experienced plenty of lost lashes; I mean huge gaps! I had blamed all the losses on medication until after a recent surgery when I didn't wear mascara for three weeks. My lashes were fine until I once again used mascara. And within hours, I could feel my lashes curling in on themselves. When I'd try to rearrange them, out they'd come! I changed mascara and have had no problems.

sue1mar3 June 09 2014 at 9:37 AM

Some mascaras are very hard to remove. It is a fact of life. I have had to discontinue use of one for the same reason. It is due to the removal process, not the mascara. Get over it lady.I

natalie sue1mar3 June 09 2014 at 4:34 PM

quit using cheap brands PERIOD

Hello fat head!! June 09 2014 at 7:13 AM

Same thing happened to me, used Covergirl eye makeup remover and it took off half my lashes after using Bombshell mascara. This was 3 months ago and they have still not all grown back,

natalie Hello fat head!! June 09 2014 at 4:35 PM

GET A DECENT MASCARA....

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal