Jurors are reprimanded over tweeting during trial

Jurors Reprimanded For Using Social Media During Trial

Most people aren't fond of jury duty, but two jury members on a case in Florida might have taken it a bit too far according to HLN.

The two jurors got busted for texting and tweeting during a trial. They wrote things like: 'Taking a nap' and 'Wish I wasn't a U.S. citizen right now.'

They didn't just tweet during jury duty, they tweeted complaints about jury duty. A local Florida attorney told WPTV he wants to ban cell phones and social media usage from the courtroom altogether.

Attorney Spencer Kuvin says, 'If they're tweeting and on their phone during a trial, how can they pay attention to the evidence that's being heard? I think it's a sad commentary on how people actually see their service, their important service to this country."

The two jurors who got in trouble for texting and tweeting aren't the only ones who've been reprimanded, though. According to the Palm Beach Post, one man could face up to six months in jail for contempt of court - all because of comments he posted on Facebook during a different trial.

Attorney Scott Smith told the paper, "In addition to expressing general disdain about jury service, he made very specific comments about the case itself. The comments made it very clear that he couldn't be and never was fair and impartial."

Hank's Mom June 07 2014 at 6:25 AM

There is nothing so crucial that requires a person to treat the cell phone like an umbilical cord. Put it away do the job you swore to do and do it right.

bearjolly June 06 2014 at 7:49 PM

I have been on three juries. It would amaze me if they texted while listening to testimony. While on a break, whatever, as long as they did not text anything about the case. During deliberations they took our cell phones. And as far as texting they don't like jury service, it is not for everyone. Especially the intellectually challenged.

dram2500c June 07 2014 at 7:23 AM

The "reprimand" should be a night in jail and confiscation of the phone for the first offense, and 30 days for each following occurrence. Jury duty is serious stuff.

Paul June 07 2014 at 6:20 AM

You are now more likely to be in a car accident due to someone texting than from someone drinking. Texting is the reason fewer cars get through traffic lights and less work gets done during the day. It's the reason why something that would easily be ready today has to be finished tomorrow. Your car would have been ready today but everyone from the mechanic to the parts courier to the guy at the front counter sent and replied to texts during the day and just didn't quite get their work done like they used to.

geezx Paul June 07 2014 at 11:42 AM

yesterday , i somehow got behind a postal employee in his jeep delivering mail was texting - not only is his vehicle steer from the right side he was alover the road , I found it truly difficult to get around him , had I myself had a phone that took pics with ease as smartphones can , I would have taken a pic of that , after i finally got passed him I had to stop at a light for a right turn , he was going straight thru , good thing his light was green , he probably din't even notice - i took his vehicle number down , but gave up makin the cal , cause , it would have taken me an hour to figure who to call - i should have just called the cops , but they actually have to witness his actions before being able to do something

sjguu geezx June 07 2014 at 3:03 PM

a quick search for “United States Postal Service complaints” got me this:

Flag +3 rate up
Karen geezx June 07 2014 at 5:32 PM

AND,if all this had actually happened as you say it did,you would have done more than whine about it online.

Flag +1 rate up
Dan Paul June 07 2014 at 12:08 PM

Right on Paul! I'm 1 person who'll never read or send a text while driving since (1) I cannot read or type a text without my reading glasses and (2) I cannot drive while wearing my reading glasses. If I must text from my car, I pull over to side of road, shift into "PARK" and then text! Hey! Once I won a pair of Cheap Trick concert tickets by send a text from a parking space! ☺

gramargo Dan June 07 2014 at 4:30 PM

Sensible man, Dan. It really scares me to look over at a nearby driver and see that phone being held up to his/her face. My SIL has a handsfree phone but only uses it occasionally to confirm an appointment, get directions or perhaps tell my daughter he's delayed along the way home. To me, anything else is far too distracting, much more so than speaking to a passenger. Oh, by the way, I don't even have a cell phone myself!

Flag +3 rate up
gneutron Dan June 07 2014 at 11:05 PM

I am 100% with you there! I can't read small print without reading glasses. I cannot drive with them on either or even walk around! I have great vision for driving, watching tv and other things. I just need reading glasses to read the small print. I never text while driving or even at work. I don't have time for it. I normally send 2 or 3 texts when I pull into the parking lot and may send another on break or lunch.

Flag 0 rate up
Kymberly June 06 2014 at 9:34 PM

Just goes to prove my theory...if one expresses a desire NOT to serve, do NOT force them! I think the first question to any potential juror: Do you want to be here?

bstsisy June 07 2014 at 2:07 AM

In our county, there are a couple of judges that tell you to turn off your cell phones & if they hear them ring, they will be donated to the local women's shelter. If a cell rings, I have seen these judges take the cell phones. They are not playing. Other judges will return them after the trial but not two of them.

kentuckycowby bstsisy June 07 2014 at 11:07 AM

Judges are not GOD. They have no right to take anything of anybody's. I hope god gets all of the crooked judges in this country when they have to face the real judge in the end!

d1anaw bstsisy June 07 2014 at 1:40 PM

They do in fact have the right. It is THEIR courtroom and THEIR rules and there are court rules as well. And if you violate them, then they can act accordingly. If you don't want your phone confiscated then put on your adult pants and grow up.

Gene June 07 2014 at 7:46 AM

I have NO use for people who don't use our God given abilities like vocal chords. If you can't converse with someone using your voice on a phone, your a loser. As for these jurors? Six months in jail without phones so they can learn how to communicate properly. The term "air head" is apt for texters.

Susan June 07 2014 at 9:33 AM

I was involved in a trial when I was forced to sue a guy who rear-ended me. His ins co. didn't pay any of my medical. The system is broken. The jurors clearly didn't want to be there and one wrote blow-by-blow on his Facebook page during the trial, clearly showing that he would never be impartial. (And I'm in Florida as well). After watching this story, I I'm going to notify the judge of this juror's misconduct.

While the jury found the guy guilty of causing my injury, they didn't award enough in damages to even begin to pay the bills. It seems they liked the insurance company's paid shill doctor far better than the doctor who actually treated me.

Lesson: Never depend on a jury 'of your peers' because these people aren't EVER going to be fair and impartial. They didn't even dress respectfully for court and it seems they had a problem with someone who DID act respectfully (me). The guy who rear-ended me dressed like a low-life and I guess they identified with him.

liondog96 June 06 2014 at 9:03 PM

I always get out of jury selection anyway. Every question I'm asked by those lawyers I reply "Pickles?"

moooooooooochelle June 07 2014 at 10:27 AM