Four years later, woman paralyzed at bachelorette party prepares for baby

'Paralyzed Bride' Stays Positive On the Road to Recovery

Just a month before Rachelle Friedman's dream wedding in 2010, she was paralyzed in a freak accident at her poolside bachelorette party.

A shocking 911 call made by a friend captured the awful moment. The caller told the 911 operator, "One of our friends pushed one of our other friends into the pool, like as a joke, and she like hit her head on the bottom of the pool."

"As soon as I hit the water, I felt my body kind of stiffen up. I went numb and I kind of heard a crack in my neck," she told 'TODAY.'

As a result, Rachel was paralyzed from the chest down. Eventually, the wedding took place as planned. They said their "I do's" and shared a very special first dance. Now, five years later, Rachelle and Chris are hoping to start a family.

Chris told INSIDE EDITION, "When Rachelle was hurt, it was one of our first concerns. We asked immediately will Rachelle be able to have a child?"

Rachelle recently underwent groundbreaking physical therapy to strengthen and stimulate her muscles. For the first time since her accident, she was standing on her own two feet.

Rachelle never gave up on trying to have a baby, saying, "I wasn't sure if paralysis effected that ability. It turns out it doesn't, I can still conceive."

The problem is, she requires high doses of blood pressure medication which would be harmful to a fetus if she got pregnant. So, she has opted for surrogacy.

She said, "I'm worried. I'm scared, anxious, excited."

As luck would have it, a former college friend of the couple has agreed to carry their baby.

"I feel so comfortable that it's someone we met, and know, and like, and love ... doing this for us," she said.

Rachelle knows there will be challenges but refuses to let her disability stand in the way of motherhood, saying, "I can do a lot more than people think. I can change diapers. I can dress them."

Rachelle has written a book called 'The Promise,' and she promises this: once known as the 'paralyzed bride,' she is hoping for a little baby who will only know her as 'mom.'

rizzles3 June 09 2014 at 10:09 AM

rather see stuff about weddings like this than ones about kimye.

samfriel2002 rizzles3 June 09 2014 at 3:08 PM

amen this stuff is real not a waited out publicity seeking reception!

DUDE rizzles3 June 09 2014 at 3:20 PM

Amen

JeannieLuvsJeff June 09 2014 at 7:06 AM

Bless your heart!!! You are going to be an amazing mother. God be with you and your family always:)

ambonding June 09 2014 at 8:35 AM

This is one amazing woman! She has turned tragedy into triumph. Congratulations on the baby . She will be great mom showing the child that no matter what you CAN make it. Also, blessings to her wonderful husband that loves her for the person she is and has stayed with her through her most difficult times.

llamammama2 June 09 2014 at 8:58 AM

what a beautiful story!

LONNIE June 09 2014 at 9:57 AM

That is really a wonderful end to a tragic accident,but what is the remarkable thing is that not only a very high percentage of men would back out of going on with the wedding it is a fact that in marriage when one or the other spouse has had an illness or accident that leaves them disabled, the husband will most of the time leave,on the other hand women stay,so this man who is her husband is a remarkable man.

Laura Stiffler June 09 2014 at 10:12 AM

Best of luck to the mommy and daddy to be! I have followed this story since the beginning and find them both to be inspirations. God bless you both.

deanconstanting June 09 2014 at 12:45 PM

Dear Rachelle, from the bottom of my heart, I wish you and your husband all the happiness of the world. You made my day. Seeing you both so happy, it's beyond any possible thoughts and words. May God bless you till the end of times. Life is beautiful.

ksmdaisy June 09 2014 at 8:31 AM

GREAT FOR HER !!! Hope that she is able to get some of her lower body strength back. It's amazing what they are accomplishing medically with rehab type of therapy !! You just never know. Congratulations on your upcoming baby !!

Sophie Weintraub June 09 2014 at 8:07 AM

Rachelle is fortunate that her girl friend will carry the baby for her. Though Rachelle l is paralyzed she will be able to care for her baby. She will get her dream of being a Mom. These endeavors will bond both girls. This baby will have a Mom and aunt who love her unconditionally. God bless them all.

gcrowe37 June 09 2014 at 9:29 AM

It is wonderful to see the bravery and determination of this young woman. What a role model for all of us even though most of us have no concept of what she has been through.