Beware: 40 percent of house guests snoop around

Beware: 40 Percent Of House Guests Snoop Around

So, imagine this. You're at someone's house for a party, and after several glasses of water (or whatever your beverage of choice is), you take a bathroom break.

And there it is, the medicine cabinet. Nobody will ever know, you tell yourself ... and you take a peek. If you're a household "sleuth," don't feel too ashamed. NBC explains that you're not the only one.

"There's a new survey out. 40 percent admit to snooping around their host's house."

For this survey funded by party planning website The Salonniere, researchers collected responses from 605 men and women between the ages of 25 and 54 as a part of the site's Party Poll series for summer 2014.

And as you can imagine, bathroom detectives are nothing new.

In 1994, the Los Angeles Times spoke with some psychologists and sociologists to better understand why people love snooping so much. According to one doctor, it's a quest to know the person better.

"Medicine cabinets are where you find secrets. People are naturally curious, and they like to know things about other people."

However, The Salonniere survey found that some guests don't limit themselves to just snooping.

"Get this one: 14 percent said they have actually gotten frisky, sneaking off to the bedroom or bathroom."

The survey also notes that "one in 100 people said they have even taken off with something that didn't belong to them."

Now that's just rude!

Are you guilty of bathroom sleuthing? Share your stories in the comments below.

LA is Best June 09 2014 at 8:11 AM

I'd sure like to find out what's in the White House medicine cabinet.......drugs are the only thing that could explain the irrational behavior of the regime!

janieturnage June 09 2014 at 8:09 AM

Put a real-life looking rubber snake in there and observe bathroom visitors carefully when they return. You will be able to tell.

tizzmine June 09 2014 at 7:16 AM

got the wrong friends......

mielkele June 09 2014 at 7:11 AM

Heard about someone who put marbles in the medicine cabinet. Great idea!

i.plau June 09 2014 at 9:42 AM

Isn't it funny, that no matter what the topic is, it somehow gets to be about Obama. I suppose the GOP, want us to believe that if you say anything often enough most of their mindless followers will believe it and they are right. Still be careful who you invite to dinner okay?

loamylam June 09 2014 at 11:48 AM

We were taught early in life 'If it's not yours don't touch it' and to this day I use this guideline. I care less what other people have and am glad for them should they have something new to display. But, to snoop or intrude on them would simply never enter my mind. It it's theirs let them have it. It it isn't mine why would I bother it? People today simply lack manners, social graces and respect for others. Poor parenting is only explanation I can think of to cause such a world filled with ignorance.

rayser711 June 09 2014 at 8:19 AM

Kick them the hell out if they snoop around. Who do they think they are.....the govement?

creginalan June 09 2014 at 8:54 AM

I no longer let anyone use my personal bath in my master bedroom...they must wait their turn at the guest bath that has nothing of value to steal. I once had a friend who brought her 2 kids over with her to visit and every time they left, something was missing. My electric shaver, costume jewelry (good stuff locked up) and my cancer meds! She even bragged one birthday about how her kids saved up and bought her an electric shaver right after mine, same brand and design, went missing. I told her that it was mine and she got angry...they aren't allowed back in my house!

dolsondl June 09 2014 at 7:52 AM

PUT A WORD OF WISDOM IN THE CABINET, THOW SHELL NOT BE PEEPERS. GOD BLESS.

rohrscheibcroh dolsondl June 09 2014 at 4:04 PM

nah give them something to talk about an there you have it .lol

rwitchwoman63 June 09 2014 at 9:55 AM

Good thing I don't have a medicine cabinet.

Penny Cranston rwitchwoman63 June 09 2014 at 6:13 PM