Woman finds sailor's dog tags missing for 20 years

Memorial Day Miracle: Woman Find's Sailor's Dog Tags Missing For 20 Years

A U.S. Navy identification tag missing for nearly 20 years is now on the way to its rightful owner.

Alyssa Shinew in Grant said that she found the tag on Memorial Day while doing yard work and found out the sailor lived at the home back in the 1990s. "I'm raking all the grass clumps out of the section that was roll tilled, and I look down because something caught my eye, and I was like, 'What in the world?' So, I bent over and I was like, 'Holy Hanna no way!'"

What Shinew found was a U.S. Navy ID tag belonging to Scott Barner, missing for almost 20 years.

"I really appreciate it. I think it's a really neat thing she did," said Scott Barner, who served 13 years with U.S. Navy. After serving in Iraq in 2005 as a member of the U.S. Navy Seabees, Barner left the military and moved back to his hometown of Mill Hall, Penn. In the mid-1990s, Barner lived with his wife Barbara at the house in Grant. Fast forward to 2014, when Shinew decided to do some yard work.

Shinew notes, "... the fact that I found it on Memorial Day ... it just blows my mind."

She made it her mission to track Barner down. She found him on Facebook.

"It feels really good," Barner told FOX 17 over the phone from Pennsylvania. "I mean, I'm glad there's people out there that would do that."

Shinew dropped the tag off to Barner's father-in-law's home, who lives up the street from her so his relative could mail it to Pennsylvania.

"I was shocked," said Barner's father in law, Dale Faurot. "It's just so amazing to me that it comes back after this long of time, but it's great to know. He'll be glad to have it back."

An an ID tag is an important memory for anyone who has served, said Faurot, who also served in the armed forces. "Part of his past history coming back. Kind of remind him of some of the things that he went through. I know I would and I'm sure he will too."

Returning the tag that was lost for almost two decades is also important to Shinew, because of her own family that has served. "I was just so excited to return it to him. My grandpa is a veteran. My brother is in the Army right now, and I know how much that dog tag represents and how much of a memory, whether good or bad, how much it means to them."

Shinew also said that she still needs to finish planting in the dirt, after getting side-tracked with the discovery.

Faurot said that he plans to send the tag in the mail within the next couple days.

mielkele June 06 2014 at 7:25 AM

If that is what you got out of this story you have a serious problem.

catbell7 June 06 2014 at 7:13 AM

how much fatter could this woman get???

ELSIE June 06 2014 at 11:16 AM

ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE SO IGNORANT....IF DONT HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO SAID KEEP UR F..........KG MOUTHS SHUT...........

bobbysmgp ELSIE June 06 2014 at 4:43 PM

Elsie, I wanted to say Ignorant too but I believe they know they are wrong, that they choose to be azzholes Ignorant makes them just not smart enough to know better. Although I know they are dumb...stupid..... but not ignorant

Hello Dolly June 06 2014 at 3:30 PM

If you negative people had 1/2 a brain you would be more dangerous than you are with all your negative talk about someones good deed. I am ashamed of all you . look in the mirror once in a while and see how really ugly you aare.

bsadonis June 06 2014 at 8:34 AM

She wasn't looking for dog tags. She was looking for cheeseburgers!

ntweety7777 bsadonis June 06 2014 at 9:47 AM

you are an ass you missed the point completely

Daddy O ntweety7777 June 06 2014 at 11:15 AM

To much ass is what he was talking about :)

Flag +1 rate up
BARRY AND KATHY ntweety7777 June 06 2014 at 1:04 PM

You're correct. It's not about how fat she is, it's about how stupid the writer is to not know it's ''ROTO'' tilled not roll tilled.

Flag +1 rate up
milkglasslover June 06 2014 at 6:36 PM

Wow, after reading all these comments, I don't believe I've ever read so many stupid, idiots that missed the whole concept of the article. Maybe she's so big because her heart is so big. She could have just dropped them in the trash and forgot all about it. They meant little to her but a lot to the man. She did a very nice thing and those that made all the negative comments should be ashamed of themselves, or.........did it make them feel better to belittle another person??

milliebsp June 06 2014 at 6:13 PM

Jesus H. Christ! Most of you people who commented here are appalling!!

All you focus on is the woman's weight????

This is a story about a woman who did a kind thing for another. Clearly, most of you wouldn't recognize kindness if it hit you in the face with a brick!

Shame on so many of you! You are disgusting examples of humanity. And I would be willing to bet that most of you would have simply thrown the dog tags away rather than do something kind by locating the original owner.

Disgusting!! Positively disgusting!!!!!!!!!

dmg12700 June 06 2014 at 10:02 PM

the rude comments about the womans weight are UNBELIEVABLE, Grow the Eff up already. A nice woman did a nice thing and you animals just have to get rude and nasty.

ritteralvarez June 06 2014 at 8:37 AM

For petes sake AOL PLEASE stop putting these gross pictures of fat women on here

Denny June 06 2014 at 8:55 AM

I was thinking she found that missing hot dog from the hot dog eating contest..........she is SO fat that if she had to haul A $ $ she would have to make two trips

bobbysmgp Denny June 06 2014 at 4:49 PM

IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmg12700 Denny June 06 2014 at 10:07 PM

and when will we be seeing you as a play girl centerfold, I am guessing NEVER. are you Perfectly sculpted and Ripped beyond belief?? Or is it because your life is So sad and Miserable that you can only feel good about yourself by speaking poorly about someone else, Schmuck