Students donate money to send janitor to Italy to visit son

High Schoolers Donate Money So Janitor Can Visit Son Stationed Abroad

When a high school janitor in Kentucky was called into an assembly to clean up a spill, he certainly wasn't expecting what came next. NBC reports, " ... instead of a mess to clean up, Ricky Spaulding got this: a trash can full of cash."

WAVE reports, "Students and staff poured into the Anderson County school gym for a pep rally that really was a cover up for big surprise. They presented Spaulding with a bag of money the students collected totaling nearly $2,000."

Ricky told WLEX what he plans to do with that cash. "My son is stationed in Italy and we're uh, we're going to see him."

Apparently school staff started collecting the donations earlier this year, after learning Ricky hadn't seen his son in over a year -- and had never met his new grandson. Ricky's wife Lisa was on hand to watch her husband receive the big surprise.

Lisa Spaulding was floored, saying, "I just think it's awesome that high schoolers and the school here -- it just shows how caring they are. I just think that's amazing."

And it seems like everyone at the high school really appreciates all that Ricky does. One fan wrote on WLEX's Facebook page, "He truly deserves this! I love Ricky and his family." Another posted, "He was always nice to everyone and help[ed] everyone!!"

The Spauldings are planning to take their trip to Italy sometime this winter.

kimcrdr June 05 2014 at 1:12 PM

I love stories like this! Kudos to the school and all the kids that pitched in, I'm sure he was very happy!!!

darkcloudstonite kimcrdr June 05 2014 at 11:19 PM

I'm not so sure about that . Many people have pride--janitors included. To call him in like some trained monkey on the false premise of cleaning up a mess, in front of an full audience strikes me as belittling and condescending...and giving him the money in a trash receptacle? real classy....--like here you go, here's some charity we know you must be poor and need help, afterall you're a janitor. It's actually insulting when you break it down , I probably would have ended up telling them to shove it.

cgo4855 June 05 2014 at 1:30 PM

What a Awesome High School and their students & Faculty. Things like this restore my faith in Humanity.

teeveequeen cgo4855 June 05 2014 at 1:44 PM

and you must still BELIEVE in Santa Claus & the Easter Bunny ... LOL

boogiewiz cgo4855 June 05 2014 at 3:13 PM

to teeveegueen, Its good to believe in Santa Claus and the easter Bunny. Wonderful things happen.... we need more believers

oujoou June 05 2014 at 1:14 PM

Wow. Far out. A janitor is a very interesting person . . . like anyone else you know. I know a few. They know when you're too snobby to appreciate what they do. They know what people think of them. Some of them are so bogged down . . .they can't recognize someone who appreciates them. That is the worst thing to see. :( So of course I'm very pleased that this high school is soo cool to theirs. :)

theomegaman72 oujoou June 05 2014 at 3:47 PM

although I don't think it was your intention, your comment comes across as very condescending..." a janitor is a very interesting person"...." They know what people think of them "

Imofanopinion June 05 2014 at 1:30 PM

What a wonderful story. Teaching the future generation to give back and care about their community. What the members of this school, students, teachers admin must have felt while gathering the funds and the final giving of these funds is something they will always remember. Kudos to the parents and school for supporting another valuable lesson in life

arikaofkataii June 05 2014 at 2:01 PM

Very thoughtful. Our world could use more of this and less of the finger pointing negative stories. Just goes to show you that there are good people out there. They just don't get as much press as the bad ones. I hope he has a lovely visit with his family, and gets to hold his new grandbaby a lot.

teeveequeen June 05 2014 at 1:41 PM

OMG ... what a warm & fuzzy liberal lame-stream human interest story !!!

maybe King Obama will personally call this guy to express best wishes?

Oh, wait ... he is NOT black, gay, or an athlete

pjarizona June 05 2014 at 1:29 PM

Great story. I hope he enjoys his trip.

ggosie25 June 05 2014 at 1:49 PM

Nice to hear something nice about young people.

dcrazysnake ggosie25 June 05 2014 at 10:01 PM

I've been around for 82 yrs. And I believe there is a hell of alot of good kids in this world. It's only the bad ones that makes the news. That's a shame. Mr. Spaulding is blessed to be around his group.

jnjsec June 05 2014 at 2:03 PM

Great thing the kids and school did. I also looooove his tee shirt!

madkono June 05 2014 at 1:05 PM

what goes around, comes around!!! it kinda offsets those people that would steal his money!!!

World Series