Dad keeps promise, surprises daughter at 5th grade graduation

Soldier Keeps Promise, Surprises Daughter at 5th Grade Graduation

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - One student got a big surprise at Heartland Elementary School, in Hardin County, WLKY reports.

Grace Reyes was one of the students celebrating at a graduation ceremony for fifth-graders.

Maj. Julian Reyes promised his daughter he would be back in time for her graduation no matter what.

His command released him early from Korea so he could fulfill that promise Wednesday, and for his daughter, it meant the world.

"It's hard to be without him and it's hard to go through school," she said. As certificates of completion were passed out, Grace was called last.

Unaware of her father's presence, there was a bit of confusion for Grace as the surprise played out.

"I was like, 'What?' I didn't know what they were doing," she said.

Grace also received awards to recognize her attendance and good academic standing.

Reyes will be home for the summer. He is scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan in November.

wrobwarn34 June 06 2014 at 5:50 AM

that is vary heart warming. in our world of so much meaness these are so good to see.

baynesan June 06 2014 at 6:47 AM

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. You helped me to start my day with bright side!

DEE June 06 2014 at 6:52 AM

I never grow tired of these joyous stories!

MBC June 06 2014 at 8:05 AM

Kudos to his commanding Officer and the school!!!!!

cincyburb01 June 06 2014 at 8:55 AM

What is up with all these graduations? There is no fifth-grade graduation! When I was a kid, the only graduation was from high school. You didn't graduate 5th grade, you 'passed' onto the next grade. No pomp, no circumstance. Nowadays you celebrate every little thing a kid does (and yes, passing 5th grade is a little thing, for everyone is expected to do it, it's not a grand achievement). No wonder these kids are so screwed up. They wipe their nose and you give them an Academy Award. But don't let a father dare try to discipline his kid by making him walk one mile to school.....nooooooo. That is horrible abuse that your little angel can't endure. Although I walked over a mile to school every day from 7th-9th grade, Junior High. It's called 'character-building." Stop pampering your little brats and stop pumping out so many babies. I'm getting sick of supporting them with WIC checks and prison funding.

kcarthey June 06 2014 at 7:01 AM

Another one? Enough already. There's bigger news than some member of the military trying to get on the news.

ratboy4444079930 June 06 2014 at 7:49 AM

So glad to see more and more people complaining about these endless tributes that are nothing more than, "Trophys for Participation."

pruettee June 06 2014 at 8:14 AM

First, I think it is wonderful the Major could be there for her. What I strange to me is graduation from 5th grade. It seems you graduate from every grade today. What ever happened to simply pass from grade 1 through grade 8 and have a graduation from grade school to high school. By the time you get through college, graduation is no big deal.

Richard Bale June 06 2014 at 10:42 AM

Please stop running these stupid fluff pieces.

cafebeege Richard Bale June 06 2014 at 7:54 PM

Please develop some sensitivity and think about the sacrifices this family is making for your "stupid fluff" a--. You obviously do not appreciate what military families go through to provide the security and standard of living you enjoy living in this country. What did you do to earn it ???

s5cat2dog cafebeege June 06 2014 at 9:26 PM

Yeah, I appreciate military families...and their housing allowances, free health care and lifetime pensions. Yeah, we need more of that. NOT.

Flag +1 rate up
vincent.barnes1 cafebeege June 06 2014 at 9:27 PM

Im from a military so please ....5th grade? Really ...

Flag +1 rate up
Midnight Cowboy June 06 2014 at 1:26 PM

Has anyone noticed that these events are always filmed and sent online somehow and someway get put on this site? Its like its a reality show of sorts. And they do it during public events so everyone else has their moments disrupted by some attention grabbing military man. I dont like these anymore. I wish I could get rid of these news scenes every time I sign on. I cant stand these fake events anymore.

smoses80 Midnight Cowboy June 06 2014 at 4:16 PM

Then don't watch them and don't comment on them. Why do you feel the need to say the same thing on every homecoming video?? Doesn't Make Any Sense!!!??

jperez2013 smoses80 June 07 2014 at 4:25 AM

Man, its true, its like 1 or 2 times its cool, but cool it already, we get it not everyone is here for a sob story, Ive lived through this without a happy ending, and im not looking for it with someone else,

Flag 0 rate up
cafebeege Midnight Cowboy June 06 2014 at 6:38 PM

"everyone else has their moments disrupted by some attention grabbing military man" ????!!!!! Oh puleeeeze don't let us "disrupt" YOUR "moments" of YOUR life !!! You SELF-ABSORBED, IMMATURE "COWBOY" !!!! This "military man" (trained to protect YOU and OUR country) I'm sure didn't request to have the cameras there, the news station wanted to do this and asked permission of the family. I am a former Marine officer's wife and years ago my husband came home on Christmas day on a long cargo flight (laying on the floor of the plane the whole flight) from the far east to surprise me and our four yr old (the other child was a newborn). We weren't asked by the local news and I probably would have declined, but it is a good reminder for some who forget the sacrifices these families make when it is publicized.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal