Soldier wraps himself up as gift for son

You Won't Believe How This Soldier Surprised His Son

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA- What did you ask for your sixth birthday? Maybe some toys? An action figure or a Barbie doll?

One Minnesota kindergartener got the ultimate gift: time with his dad, who he thought was away in Afghanistan.

Gary Kirby's mission upon arriving home? Getting gift wrapped and not ruining the surprise for his son, Derek. His mother told the boy that the cameras were there to make a birthday video to send to his dad.

The newly minted six-year-old wasn't the only one getting gifts that day. Kirby got a gift of his own: a baby boy, born while he was away.

Tom Keplinger June 05 2014 at 8:18 AM

no big surprise....as if we haven't seen this before x 1000000000

budshort June 05 2014 at 9:12 AM

It's nice that the public is showing respect and gratitude for the returning troops and I agree, they deserve it. When we came back from Vietnam, the best we could hope for was to NOT get spit on by a hippie. I'm not saying we should stay over there but I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen in Afghanistan that happened in South Vietnam. In January of 1973 the Vietnam war was won and the Paris Peace Accords were signed. After the U.S. withdrew, South Vietnam lost the war that we had won for them and the fall of Saigon happened a little more than 2 years later. Just watch, we are going to pull out of Afghanistan and a couple or few years later the whole thing is going to be for naught, just like Vietnam.

teebear817 June 05 2014 at 9:16 AM

zzzzzzzzzzz hey everyone...dads gonna jump out of some box so get the camera ready. This stuff has been done to death. I wish they would stop filming these things. Just go home like 99% of the soldiers and see your children.

donna teebear817 June 05 2014 at 2:56 PM

I wish you numb nuts would stop watching these videos then crying about how tired of them you are. Stop looking at the freaking things if you don't like them. Geesh!

brenzluv teebear817 June 05 2014 at 3:35 PM

I served...for a looonggg time...and I'm fed up with them. The fact that someone disagrees with you and won't toe your treacle-y line doesn't make them a douchebag, though it does make them an American.

Midnight Cowboy June 05 2014 at 9:13 AM

Seriously? Another one of these? How many is this now? 1000? I cant stand these things any more. There are way too many of these staged reunions. Stop posting these.

brandonindc June 05 2014 at 8:59 AM

I new it was a militray member once I saw the box. I hate to be the one to say this, but this sort of thing is getting a bit old and tiresome. I appreciate the man's commitment and the sacfrifice his family made, but come on already. We will read another story before the end of the month about a soldier surprising his kid at their graduation, recital, prom, etc....

MICHAEL June 05 2014 at 10:21 AM

let me guess...... without even reading the article...... SOLDIER IN A BOX SURPRISING KID? oh, my god, only 32,000 more of these. i gotta go bang my head now.

kcarthey June 05 2014 at 10:41 AM

Has anybody ever learned that anticipation and planning is half the fun? These narcisstic parents and school teachers leave the kid out of that and do it all for themselves and the News At Five. I'd suggest that the at home parent let the kid know ahead of time and get the kid involved in planning and the anticipation of the parent's return. Make that return a private event centered on family and not some school, little league team or the community as a whole, let alone us on AOL

bccmconsulting June 05 2014 at 10:49 AM

Aaaaawwwwww -- They can show these videos a million times. Always makes my heart melt. Great to see a soldier return to his family. My family has lost two family members due to this BS war! My aunt/uncle to this day are still mourning. We ALL are....

Sunny June 05 2014 at 9:13 PM

These stories are very heartwarming but I wonder why they always have to be made public. It is a nice video to show to friends and family, but they always seem to go to the internet to be publically broadcast. It is to to point that you see one of these every day, or so it seems. If not on the internet, on TV.

dbs7641937 June 05 2014 at 12:43 PM

Yes these stories are nice but there are so many that over time they get a little boring. OK now and then but wear them out.