Soldier wraps himself up as gift for son

You Won't Believe How This Soldier Surprised His Son

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA- What did you ask for your sixth birthday? Maybe some toys? An action figure or a Barbie doll?

One Minnesota kindergartener got the ultimate gift: time with his dad, who he thought was away in Afghanistan.

Gary Kirby's mission upon arriving home? Getting gift wrapped and not ruining the surprise for his son, Derek. His mother told the boy that the cameras were there to make a birthday video to send to his dad.

The newly minted six-year-old wasn't the only one getting gifts that day. Kirby got a gift of his own: a baby boy, born while he was away.

Tom Keplinger June 05 2014 at 8:18 AM

no big surprise....as if we haven't seen this before x 1000000000

budshort June 05 2014 at 9:12 AM

It's nice that the public is showing respect and gratitude for the returning troops and I agree, they deserve it. When we came back from Vietnam, the best we could hope for was to NOT get spit on by a hippie. I'm not saying we should stay over there but I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen in Afghanistan that happened in South Vietnam. In January of 1973 the Vietnam war was won and the Paris Peace Accords were signed. After the U.S. withdrew, South Vietnam lost the war that we had won for them and the fall of Saigon happened a little more than 2 years later. Just watch, we are going to pull out of Afghanistan and a couple or few years later the whole thing is going to be for naught, just like Vietnam.

brandonindc June 05 2014 at 8:59 AM

I new it was a militray member once I saw the box. I hate to be the one to say this, but this sort of thing is getting a bit old and tiresome. I appreciate the man's commitment and the sacfrifice his family made, but come on already. We will read another story before the end of the month about a soldier surprising his kid at their graduation, recital, prom, etc....

MICHAEL June 05 2014 at 10:21 AM

let me guess...... without even reading the article...... SOLDIER IN A BOX SURPRISING KID? oh, my god, only 32,000 more of these. i gotta go bang my head now.

kcarthey June 05 2014 at 10:41 AM

Has anybody ever learned that anticipation and planning is half the fun? These narcisstic parents and school teachers leave the kid out of that and do it all for themselves and the News At Five. I'd suggest that the at home parent let the kid know ahead of time and get the kid involved in planning and the anticipation of the parent's return. Make that return a private event centered on family and not some school, little league team or the community as a whole, let alone us on AOL

abudotcom June 05 2014 at 1:35 PM

Priceless gift…..

teriswish June 05 2014 at 1:54 PM

Oh, I am so sorry for you... these are moments children will treasure and be paramont in their lives forever. I feel for you that you can't see that.................... so sad for you.

bccmconsulting June 05 2014 at 10:49 AM

Aaaaawwwwww -- They can show these videos a million times. Always makes my heart melt. Great to see a soldier return to his family. My family has lost two family members due to this BS war! My aunt/uncle to this day are still mourning. We ALL are....

dbs7641937 June 05 2014 at 12:43 PM

Yes these stories are nice but there are so many that over time they get a little boring. OK now and then but wear them out.

sjk1335 June 05 2014 at 12:56 PM

I cannot help if the people making negative comments would be willing to sacrifice their time and risk death to serve our country. Thankfully we have those who are willing to serve so the complainers can sit around and right negative comments all day.

brenzluv sjk1335 June 05 2014 at 4:53 PM

You don't seem to understand, not a few of us who dare disagree with you ARE veterans. I suspect you aren't though

smoses80 brenzluv June 05 2014 at 5:54 PM

How would Anybody Know that?? Why, BTW, did the American People Not give Geat 'Welcome Homes' to Vietnam Vets?? They were drafted and fought and served their country. The People should have been Angry with the Gov't Not the Veterens.

Flag 0 rate up