Blogger lives for an entire month without spending a dime

Chicago Blogger Lives For An Entire Month Without Spending A Dime

Thirty-one days without spending a dime: it's what 28-year-old Kevin Zarlengo did to raise money for a good cause. How did he live during the month of May ... and how much did he save?

One of the main challenges for Zarlengo was getting food each day. He explains, "I contacted my friends and family, and through social media, I even had a lot of strangers offer to help. I exchanged doing chores for dinner every night after work." Zarlengo did lots of tasks like walking dogs and cleaning people's houses to get a hot meal.

His body had a transformation as well: the 28-year-old lost just over 10 pounds. His goal for the next 30-60 days is to gain that weight back. Zarlengo biked and walked around Chicago in order to avoid spending any money. "I became extremely aware of every neighborhood in the city, and I got a lot of exercise," he says. This exercise came in handy when he did the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer at the end of the month.

All of the money Zarlengo saved and raised went towards the Avon Walk. He donated $900 of what he saved, raised almost $3,500 altogether for the cause. His team was able to raise almost $16,000.

His frugal month was a challenge, but Zarlengo gained something invaluable. "At first, there were a few things that I wanted and that I missed ... but after a while, I really felt free from not spending money on retail and other programs," Zarlengo, who is wearing a "Save Second Base" breast cancer t-shirt, states.

He adds, "When you're donating to charity, when you're doing good, you feel good. People will go out of their way to help you out ... I just felt really clear and happy. When you're not wasting any thoughts on what to buy next, a lot of other thoughts pop into your head on positive thinking."

He is still taking donations for the Avon Walk on his personal Avon profile page. "I've learned a lot on my way that I hope to keep with me," he says.

d1anaw June 05 2014 at 10:28 AM

At least he was willing to work in exchange for his food. Something many of the entitlement minded aren't willing to do.

coopdabomb June 05 2014 at 6:27 AM

Oh please, most thing were given to him. Typical lib story

twiggymonsterone June 05 2014 at 10:30 AM

Wow, this is news, thousands do that all year long. It's called unemployment.

craigkit June 05 2014 at 9:42 AM

I'm not impressed. I went six months waiting for my disability from the VA. I collected a lot of beer cans and begged for help with the mortgage from the VA. It was hard but a lot of people go through it.

dal June 05 2014 at 6:28 AM

Hell that was about a daily thing for me when I was working through college, I discovered that grocery stores throw away lots of food.

kindamara dal June 05 2014 at 8:35 AM

A lot of stores aren't doing that any more. They will usually donate the food to a charitable organization - food pantry. Anything not donated will be destroyed due to liability. People were dumpster diving and then claiming they became sick off the food they took from the dumpster.

Dan dal June 05 2014 at 8:39 AM

I remember stopping at a 7-11 store late 1 nite with friends when I was still in my 20s. It was after midnite so the manager was giving us free food that had passed expiration date at stroke of midnite and would otherwise have to be thrown away. Being alone in the store, I quess he was happy to have us hanging out there to discourage any possible late nite robbery and we were happy for the free eats. ☺

rwilliamhoward Dan June 05 2014 at 11:34 AM

Expiration dates are generally 'sell by' dates. Use by is usually about 10 days after that. And even then it might be OK.

Flag +4 rate up
alfredschrader June 05 2014 at 7:40 AM

I've traced my donations to corporate charity organizations. They spent most of it on advertising budgets, office and rental expenses, and on salaries - basically they used my donated funds to operate their business. Little of it actually went to patients.

So I turned to other methods to help. Turns out breast cancer is also paired with thyroid cancer, both are glands.
Nearly all breast cancer patients were deficient in iodine levels. In persons with adequate iodine levels, cancers were non-existent.

jnette.houle June 05 2014 at 10:53 AM

This story is unrealistic if you ask me. What about his rent? And the bike he is riding is a rental...
he at LEAST spent a DIME for the rental bike. I understand the moral of the story but come on, he spent money... he HAD to. Or maybe he just skipped his rent for the month in which he supposedly didn't spend a "DIME" ... either way he will still have to pay it lol. This is so much left out of this story... I understand the moral and they have a good point, however it is totally UNREALISTIC.

Mike Jones June 05 2014 at 12:23 PM

So the real headline is....Man works in exchange for food. Kind of like every homeless guy on every street corner has a sign stating. The rest he got donations. Just another liberal that thinks you can get something for nothing. It sounds nice until EVERYONE does it...then what? Oh yeah...it relies on others to work.....for this to be possible.

fullsrvlaw Mike Jones June 05 2014 at 1:45 PM

Did you miss the part where he donated $20,000 to breast cancer research? He did not get "something for nothing" he worked for it. Typical Republican. Ignore the facts and just talk about your bias against apparently people less fortunate than you or in this case, people you perceive to be liberal. He said that after work, did you get that, after work, he would work for his dinner. Your subtext is really that Republicans like you are not charitable.

shirley.butterfield fullsrvlaw June 05 2014 at 2:16 PM

Please re-read the article. His TEAM donated $16,000. Politics were not involved until you brought it up.

Flag +5 rate up
Linda Mike Jones June 05 2014 at 8:52 PM

No the real headline is he did this to raise money for chairity, can't you people read, All of this negative crap is why the world is a mess. I say good for him. YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT OF THE STORY, DO YOU GET IT NOW?

Carie June 05 2014 at 3:51 PM

Leave it to the village idiot to make the statements that “Most thing were given to him”. (I'm sure they meant “things”)

It was an experiment & also an opportunity to raising money for charity. You know, those in need, less fortunate than others, flat out human kindness? Something you obviously know nothing about.

What he did is awesome & what a lot of this younger generation, the "GIMME" generation, needs more of.

Awesome job Kevin!

cyberhawk1 June 05 2014 at 7:13 PM

gee wonder how many welfare leeches, aka obama voters would even try that for a day...ummm I know! ZERO of them, currently 55,000,000 of them want even more to sit on their collective azzes and watch the maury povich show, u know, to find out hom many illegitimate kids are theirs that they'll never pay child support for...hey how you guilty white asswipes feeling right about now??? especially you military geniuses that voted black and got royally screwed due to it? how you doin!!