FBI: San Francisco man had bomb components

BY TERRY COLLINS AND CHANNING JOSEPH

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A search of the San Francisco apartment of a social media expert turned up ball bearings, screws and components needed to make a homemade bomb, the FBI said in an affidavit unsealed Tuesday.

"FBI bomb technicians believe that the device was designed to maim or kill a human being or human beings," FBI Special Agent Michael Eldridge said in the document.

A circuit board described in the document was designed to serve as a remote control, allowing detonation of the device from afar, Eldridge said.

Investigators said they found the materials inside a bag at Ryan Kelly Chamberlain's apartment during a search over the weekend. The discovery prompted a nationwide manhunt for the 42-year-old Chamberlain.

The FBI has not said what, if any, specific plans Chamberlain might have had for the device, or how they were alerted to the material.

Chamberlain appeared in federal court after being charged with one count of possession of an illegal destructive device. He was accompanied by a public defender but did not enter a plea. He wore the same shorts and shirt that he had on when he was arrested Monday near the Golden Gate Bridge.

Though Chamberlain was considered armed and dangerous, FBI spokesman Peter Lee said Monday during the manhunt that he did not seem to pose an immediate threat to public safety.

"Anyone who has the means, methods and access to make a bomb should be considered armed and dangerous," Lee said before the arrest.

Police Chief Greg Suhr described Chamberlain as someone who was in crisis and getting "more desperate by the moment." He was arrested by officers who responded to a report of a person matching Chamberlain's description.

Chamberlain spotted the officers and tried to flee but was taken into custody after a brief chase and struggle, police said.

Morgan Manos, who saw the arrest and captured it on video, told the San Francisco Chronicle that Chamberlain looked surprised and frantic.

He was wearing shorts, a sweatshirt and a beanie hat, Manos said, adding: "They took him down hard."

Multiple agencies, including hazardous materials crews, searched Chamberlain's apartment on Saturday in the Russian Hill neighborhood, blocking off the street to vehicle and pedestrian traffic for much of the day.

Alex Clemens, a partner of the San Francisco-based Barbary Coast Consulting, said Chamberlain is well known in the city's political circles and had been a fixture on the campaign trails for more than a decade. His work in the field ended several years ago.

Clemens, who briefly hired Chamberlain for a project in 2009, said people who know Chamberlain are stunned.

"I believe there's been a failure in his support system. I'm sad for that," Clemens said. "I hope he will reach out to those who will help him."

Chamberlain also worked as an independent contractor for the San Francisco Chronicle during the 2012 NFL season, doing social media to boost coverage for the San Francisco 49ers Insider iPad app, the newspaper said.

In 2011, Chamberlain taught a "Grass Roots Mobilization" course to graduate students in the public affairs program, said Anne-Marie Devine, a spokeswoman for the University of San Francisco. Chamberlain taught for one semester and wasn't invited to teach another course, she said.

She said she didn't know why he was let go because hundreds of adjunct professors come and go at the university.

---

Associated Press writers Garance Burke and Sudhin Thanawala in San Francisco contributed to this report.

meryleeweisman June 03 2014 at 7:24 PM

IT SIMPLY DOES NOT MATTER WHAT COLOR YOUR SKIN IS WHEN IT IS RIPPED APART BY THE EXPLOSION OF THIS LUNATIC'S BOMB. You moron's are spewing out MORE junk and anger at moot differences. These comments about politics ARE WHAT MAKE NUT JOBS LIKE HIM BUILD BOMBS. You should be ashamed of yourselves, why can't adults state differences of opinion WITHOUT NAME CALLING AND BELLIGERENCE? You know, like maybe, ADULTS?

bigred8690 June 03 2014 at 6:58 PM

I don't know what this guy intended; I do know that al-Qaeda would never want to attack San Francisco for fear of collateral damage against left-wing MSNBC-watching America haters.

frnthaf June 03 2014 at 6:32 PM

Is Ted Danson and FBI agent now?

yahunnut June 03 2014 at 7:55 PM

why did they search his place? What were the warning signs or evidence? KMCC is correct, this could happen to any of us. Sounds fishy to me

jmmkrny June 03 2014 at 6:45 PM

WHATEVER it takes to get our guys back. Next time those Taliban turn up on the battle field, let's not bother taking them hostage. I supported President Bush's attempts to help the people of Afghanistan and Iraq, give them the opportunity for a better life and educate the female population, but some people won't or can't be helped. It's a shame that the majority of the people in Afghanistan and Iraq who want peace have to live in a country with those who don't. Janice in Missouri

meryleeweisman June 03 2014 at 7:19 PM

The FBI agent DOES indeed look like Ted Danson!..Now JUST WHAT does George Bush, liberal, conservative, MSNBC, etc have to do with this LUNATIC?? What is wrong with you people?? Can you NOT SEE THAT PEOPLE LIKE THIS PUT ALL OF OUR LIVES AT RISK? IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE TO THE DAMNED EXPLOSION OR BULLET WHAT COLOR YOU ARE, WHAT RELIGION YOU FOLLOW, OR HOW YOU VOTE. You just die,

kenmac7 June 03 2014 at 8:13 PM

I am sure there is much more to be revealed. However, I am equaly sure that if you searched most homes in these United States, you will find "ballbearings" and "screws".

sunflower4405 kenmac7 June 04 2014 at 7:48 AM

You sure have that right! I don't know what brought all this on for this man, but I do know that if my home was to be searched for any reason, the searchers would screws, nails, and fasteners of all kinds. They would also find wrenches, srewdrivers, plyers, knives and sawblades, too. I have a 357 magnum and the ammo I use in it. Some may look at me as a person and wonder why I would have that kinds of thing in my home, I am a white, sixty-five-year-old female who lives alone and I use this kind of thing very often. But, until today, I have been able to refrain from building any bombs! Let's wait for the whole story. If he is up to something manical, we'll judge him then!

vegaslots777 kenmac7 June 04 2014 at 12:17 PM

9 OUT OF 10 BOMBERS TARGET A INDIVIDUAL PERSON, ONLY 1 IN 10 TARGET BUILDINGS, PLANES ETC.

webreader June 03 2014 at 8:09 PM

Mass destruction in the making. Glad he was stopped and taken-down hard.

knute9 June 03 2014 at 7:25 PM

The article doesn't say what his motive was?

craftlaw knute9 June 03 2014 at 8:11 PM

the article doesn't describe any possession that it is criminal to own.

normde craftlaw June 03 2014 at 9:51 PM

I have heard of people who were arrested, charged and convicted of purchasing the ingredients for making meth from their local 7-11 Store. Each, individually not a problem.

Flag +4 rate up
nebrostx knute9 June 04 2014 at 12:23 PM

This is unfolding news. I'm sure there will be more details following.

rohrscheibcroh nebrostx June 06 2014 at 4:21 PM

I sure hope so as serious as this is something not right .why why why

Flag 0 rate up
BOB June 04 2014 at 6:23 AM

FBI can basically go into anyones home and claim " Bomb components " .... My best friend is a former Police chief and I was a breacher on his tactical team . We discussed booby traps etc. I turned in a report to him and in summary , many typical items found in everyday life can make bombs . I guess a couple major stores could change their name . Like Al Qaeda Depot ...It all boils down to if a person is going to use any item for its normally intended use , or as a weapon . Much like a firearm , vehicle , or knife .