Myspace is digging up your embarrassing old photos

Myspace Is Digging Up Your Embarrassing Old Photos

Oh, braces, how I don't miss you. And this could actually be the first ever selfie in the world - thanks, little brother.

Yes, I dug up old Myspace photos, but for a lot of users, Myspace is doing it for you - so if you've got some particularity embarrassing pics, be on the lookout.

WOIO: "It wants you back. The social networking site that faded into the background in the Twitter- and Facebook-dominated world is courting its users now with old photos."

The social networking site is emailing out old photos to users who are no longer active. According to TXCN, the message includes a link to the recipient's profile.

The Washington Post reports the email simply reads: "Your photos redelivered. The good, the rad, and the what were you thinking."

We're guessing there's probably a lot of "what were you thinking," as many outlets, such as the Angle Chronicle, are calling the tactic a form of blackmail.

But a writer for Tech Times points out Myspace is using a pretty unique marketing strategy "as MySpace isn't threatening to make the photos public or share them with anyone else."

And Mashable calls the approach clever - "After all, few things get your attention like the reminder that a tech company still has your decade-old photos on file." But whether it's working is the real question. ​

Myspace claims to have 15 billion photos in its database - that makes for a lot of potential emails. But Mashable notes in comparison, Facebook boasts a database of 250 billion pictures.

If you're feeling nostalgic - we'll note Myspace has done quite the overhaul from the good ol' days.

According to Ad Age, after it was purchased by Specific Media in 2011, Myspace was geared toward musicians.

According to The Washington Post, it's "kind of streaming radio service/music news site/social network for music fans. ... The new Myspace prioritized musician pages and encouraged them to upload songs and videos, which fans could then repost to their own profiles. ... But it's unclear whether any of those changes actually paid off.​"

Last October, Myspace announced it had 36 million users. During its heyday, those numbers peaked well over 100 million.

jbroskoski3 June 03 2014 at 4:43 AM

Who?

mcwald20 June 03 2014 at 9:50 AM

Do young people even use this platform any more? I have not heard this word - My Space - in several years now.

Kent June 03 2014 at 11:50 AM

Here's a solution. Don't post photos on-line. People bug me all the time for not having any photos on my Linkedin and Facebook accounts. I sort of like flying under the radar.

brenhatestwinkie Kent June 03 2014 at 1:52 PM

Or post photos that your not ashamed of

MURRAY J June 03 2014 at 11:02 AM

i was not in my space long enoughto have any photos in use .. i still have some use of it i think but it been years since i logged in do mot remember my name usedor paswoord ha

ChingOW Mango June 03 2014 at 1:48 PM

Somehow this seems very invasive and illegal. Did everyone sign a disclaimer giving the rights to all their pictures to MySpace?

Sir. JJStryyker June 03 2014 at 11:02 AM

My Space turned to crap years ago, when they tried to compete with Face Book. I quit after they screwed up all the pages I designed. That Tom charactor turnred My Space into a toilet bowl. I went back My Space a few months ago and it was worse! Just more crap on crap. I was getting e-mails from people I don't even know. I also found my whole name printed out. That's a no no. You never put your whole name on any web site.That leaves you open to hackers and scams. At one time My Space was the best site for videos and page design and communicating with friends and relatives. I had a choise of who I wanted on My site. Now there's no privacy and it's no longer your space. My Space is dumping ground for trash. It should be called My Crap in a Hole Space

Mike Sir. JJStryyker June 03 2014 at 11:47 AM

Translation: I did what most people did and followed everyone else to Facebook but want to look like it was for deeper reasons.

carolynbp5 June 03 2014 at 10:13 AM

The old my space was better. The new one is complicated. I don't like it

wokchrisman June 03 2014 at 9:35 AM

Bull, make photos public? I looked up google images, and found ALL the pictures on myspace of my family. They weren't there previously.

joshlsmith June 03 2014 at 5:34 AM

That's assuming I'd even look at an email from myspace, which I wouldn't.

Bewley Steve June 03 2014 at 5:44 AM

...and if they publish with out consent the'll get sued. Easy, cheesy.

susan Bewley Steve June 03 2014 at 6:29 AM

When one posted them that implied consent. They aren't using them for revenue, so, ok.