Man takes the ultimate selfie atop Brazil's 'Christ The Redeemer' statue

Man Takes The Ultimate Selfie Atop Brazil's 'Christ The Redeemer' Statue

A British man just took selfies to a whole new level, Fox News explains.

31-year-old Lee Thompson snapped a pretty remarkable selfie from the top of Brazil's famous statue - "Christ the Redeemer."

Thompson is the co-founder of British travel company The Flash Pack. So, it makes sense he'd be up for a travel challenge. But first, he had to persuade the Brazilian tourism board to allow the climb.

Then came the difficult 25-minute journey inside the tower. He had to navigate dangerously narrow steps at the peak of the statue.

Check out his trip to the top here:
Video Selfie Taken Inside Christ the Redeemer Statue in Rio De Janeiro

Thompson told The Telegraph, "When I popped my head out of the top it took my breath away. The view really was incredible. It is the most fun selfie I've taken and one of my favourite photos."

According to Metro, Thompson says, "Everyone says it is crazy and it makes them feel sick just looking at it."

The selfie certainly isn't for the faint of heart, but is it the most dangerous ever?

It's tough to say. There are certainly some other selfie candidates out there - News Limited rounded up some of the most harrowing, from being eaten by camels to hanging from bridges to swimming with sharks.

But Thompson's greatest competition might be from a pair of daredevils who climbed an estimated 2,100 feet to the top of the construction of Shanghai Tower earlier this year.

blueeyessing June 03 2014 at 6:23 AM

It seems a bit disrespectful to have tourists and adventurers crawling all over Jesus like a bunch of ants.

billcdaly June 03 2014 at 11:56 AM

It's all about ME, ME, ME.
Ego, ego, ego.
I am special, my parents told me so.

c1g2w3 billcdaly June 03 2014 at 6:03 PM

agree, this is what is wrong with people "I am bigger and better then God/Lord/everyone and thing.

David S. c1g2w3 June 03 2014 at 8:05 PM

It's a statute, not God.....

Flag 0 rate up
larry June 03 2014 at 12:19 PM

This statue is beautiful and a work of art. I feel it is disrespectful for tourists and people anxious to take a selfie to be climbing on the statue. I can only hope, common sense will return in 2016.

Bruce larry June 03 2014 at 7:07 PM

Yeah, that's what the World Cup, and the Olympics are "all about"-- common sense. You'd better get ready to see a whole lot WORSE things shortly, as the drunk and disorderly descend on Brazil in hordes. It's going to make Mardi Gras look like a panty raid!

BamBam June 03 2014 at 10:24 AM

Totally disrespectful !

IBruzEZ June 03 2014 at 8:15 AM

Ok, so who is that out on the arm?? stupid people doing stupid things....again.!

ramonbatt June 03 2014 at 9:10 AM

Funny how everybody is calling selfies like if it was something new? I took pictures of myself 40 plus years ago!

Dennis Karoleski ramonbatt June 03 2014 at 9:59 AM

As did we all.

teriswish June 03 2014 at 1:40 PM

Bottom line is ....it Just seems very disrespectful...............

Mike June 03 2014 at 11:25 AM

Christ hasn't done a heck of a lot for Brazil. Maybe they should have gone with a statue of the Buddha?

exceltempsstptr June 03 2014 at 10:46 AM

All you people who take selfies are exactly what that infers. You're selfish and conceited. And Dumb!!!
Why in the world is it so important to see "Yourself". What? Do you really think that your that interesting?
Couldn't make the sports team? Couldn't make it in Hollywood? All of the "jack Ass" programing making you feel like you need to make an ass of yourself by being so conceited.
Get over yourselves and let someone else take the picture so it doesn't t look like all you care about is you.
All of this reality crap and the mentality that "Hey, I got a digital camera and I can take a picture of myself and post it on the internet anytime I feel like it, just to make myself feel good", has made every average and below average person think that they are superstars. The reality is that in 10 days nobody will give a s*&t about who you are.
Exactly how often do you take selfies?
Too often that's for sure, given the number of selfies and people taking selfies.
Pure Idiocy.

slackwarerobert June 03 2014 at 9:28 AM

he has a safety rope, WIMP!!!