Is the 'Ice Diet' a real thing?

The Ice Diet Promises To Melt Away Pounds

A New Jersey doctor thinks he might have the next miracle trick to melt away those stubborn pounds - literally.

Dr. Brian Weiner, a gastroenterologist, says his Ice Diet will help you burn more calories without breaking a sweat, in fact, quite the opposite.

Unlike many other diets, you shouldn't consume mostly the thing that it's called. Dr. Weiner says eating more ice will increase a person's metabolism because of the amount of energy it takes the body to melt the ice. People should continue to eat a normal, healthy diet.

He says nutritional facts on frozen food are mislabeled because they don't take into account the negative calorie effects it has.

But again, the doc doesn't encourage people start stocking their ice boxes with, well, just ice.

Weiner recommends 1 liter per day which will burn 160 calories, which is about the energy equivalent of running a mile. Much more than that and he says you'll likely feel uncomfortably cold. Go figure.

Also, try to avoid chewing the ice because you're trying to lose weight, not teeth.

And in case ice doesn't sound super delicious and tasty, you can make your own ice pops with zero-calorie flavoring. Not a bad way to spend Summer.

bigred8690 June 02 2014 at 9:35 AM

This is bogus. It is simply a misunderstanding of the term "calories." The doc is thinking that cold ice in your body has to be balanced out by heat, which drains you of calories. Well, if it was that easy, anyone who drank iced beverages would be size 2.

seattle333 June 02 2014 at 9:24 AM

Dentist all around are going to love this tooth fracturing diet!!!

Liza seattle333 June 02 2014 at 11:34 AM

Oh Yes! You have that right, OWWWWW my teeth as well as ridiculous.
Well, at least you could find out real fast where there are sensitive teeth,
and then SUFFER.
Unbelievable.

Pearltrans seattle333 June 02 2014 at 2:39 PM

The ice in your ice water or tea, etc. gets soft.

TripleXKimberly June 02 2014 at 9:35 AM

Just suck on it and you will be golden!

mercinyc TripleXKimberly June 02 2014 at 1:00 PM

That's what he said.

oujoou June 02 2014 at 11:01 AM

You want so much to believe that doctors are smarter than you. After all . .. when you're sick . . . it's who you turn to. I think they ARE. But . . . cool? This ice diet might work for some . . . just not the coolest way to lose weight . . . unless you like drinking iced water. :) I think people who are fat should look at this 'attempt' at weight loss in a new way. If you buy the total gym . . . and lose weight it's dull to hear about. If you take a pill and have a 'heat' belt that melts 3 inches off your waist . . . sure . . nice job . . .but you're an idiot. I've never been fat but the best fat to thin story I've heard of is Jim Morrison's . . . go to Europe . . . take acid for a month and stop eating. Come home and sing in a rock band and have unprotected sex with dozens of girls in a month. Drugs are illegal. So find a better and cooler way. It's YOUR life story. :)

Gina June 02 2014 at 10:40 AM

This is so stupid. You would have to live on nothing but ice and eat it all day long in order to lose any weight. Besides, not eating real food and not working out are terrible ways to lose weight. You have to eat and you HAVE to work out!

erinjanespca Gina June 02 2014 at 1:13 PM

I see that you neglected to read the article.

Liza June 02 2014 at 11:30 AM

It's 103 here and all I do is eat and drink iced things. I have not noticed any change because this doctor clearly needs to retire. Or he hoped people could be SOOOOO stupid that he could write a book about "eating ice" and make lots of money.
UNreal.

mercinyc Liza June 02 2014 at 1:01 PM

Yeah, but what iced things are you eating and drinking? High sugar, high calorie items will obviously add more calories, than take away.

Sherri June 02 2014 at 4:21 PM

Try common sense...Nope The ICE DIET does not pass the common sense test!! Sorry Doctor...

Sherri Sue Fisher, author Timer Lifestyle Series (TimerDiet, TimerOrganizer, et al)

bigred8690 Sherri June 03 2014 at 12:50 AM

I just looked up your blog.

Norma June 02 2014 at 12:57 PM

It's true!!!! I have lots of ice everyday. One becasue I love the coolness it brings to my entire body all day long. I live in South Texas and it's Hot down here. I weighed 325 lbs and I'm down to 245lbs. No diet, just plenty of ice with all my beverages. I tell you it does work ; )

zigyboo Norma June 03 2014 at 1:03 AM

Or maybe the fact that you're sweating a ton and your body consumes way more calories when it's 100 degrees outside than when it's 70?

Helllo Honey Pie June 02 2014 at 3:25 PM

I lost 15 pounds last summer drinking really cold ice water and it helped fight the summer heat however I was always cold.

Kat & Molly June 02 2014 at 12:18 PM

If you proceed with this "Diet", be prepared to have a huge amount in your savings account to cover your dental costs to replace "your" teeth with dentures or implants.

World Series