2 children injured in most recent bounce house incident

2 Children Injured In Most Recent Bounce House Incident

A terrifying scene for parents in Littleton, Colorado, as two young children were injured when strong winds caused a bounce house to roll across a field.

According to KRIV "A strong gust of wind picked up this castle in Colorado, carrying it 300 hundred feet. It's just tossing it around like it's a small balloon."

KUSA reports:
Witness 1: "Me and one of the defenders looked over and we saw the wind pick up."
Witness 2: "And then all of a sudden it picks up and there's a girl going down the slide. She flies out about eight feet in the air."

According to HLN, a 10-year-old girl was thrown out immediately, but a 10-year-old boy remained inside the ride while it tumbled some 200 to 300 feet into a lacrosse field.

Both children are reportedly recovering from minor injuries. But witnesses feared it could have been much worse - had the ride landed on any of the lacrosse players or if the boy had fallen out so high in the air.

This, of course, isn't the first time this has happened.

CBS notes "Last month you may recall in New York state a powerful gust launched a bounce house 50 feet in the air. Two kids were seriously hurt in that accident."

And bounce house safety has been an ongoing problem in recent years.

A study by the Nationwide Children's Hospital found emergency rooms treated 31 children for bounce house-related injuries daily in 2010.

Similarly, following a string of bounce house incidents, Jim Barber, a spokesman for the National Association of Amusement Ride Safety Officials told USA Today in 2011, "I wish this was a rarity, but it's not. ... These are probably the most dangerous amusement devices they have."

For its part, the company that set up the Colorado bounce house says it was properly staked and safety precautions were taken. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is now investigating the incident.

bigcatdaddy June 03 2014 at 9:14 AM

You do not use these in STRONG WINDS. Does anyone use common sense anymore?

KATHI AND JOHN bigcatdaddy June 03 2014 at 9:33 AM

can't sue if you use common sense

beatricedcny June 02 2014 at 3:29 PM

They should make them with lots of sand underneath and better regulations must be enforced. Such as when is windy do not use at all.

Jeanne June 02 2014 at 3:41 PM

I don't know much about these bounce houses, but do they come with a way to stick them to the ground like you should a tent? I always anchor my tent when I go camping. Wind or no wind because I live in a very windy state.

goodgrief61945 Jeanne June 02 2014 at 5:09 PM

Sure. They come with tie down corners, just like a tent. The morons using them, dont drive the stakes in far enough to make them safe.

Gina June 03 2014 at 7:29 AM

We go to the pumpkin patch every year with our Grandkids and they have two bounce houses. They are anchored down with heavy ropes and staked into the ground. It's usually cold and pretty windy every time we go but these bounce houses never go anywhere! I think these people aren't securing them as well as they should be or possibly not at all! The only reason I wouldn't let the kids go into one this next fall is because last year the inside looked pretty cruddy like they never wash the thing but other than that, they are bolted to the ground for the week or so it's there for the season.

jim June 03 2014 at 10:18 AM

let the good times roll !, i won't let my kid's in thease things, good way to get a broken neck !!!!

deannascandles2 June 03 2014 at 9:49 AM

I was at an event last year where my kids were in a large bounce house and it collapsed sending several kids falling up to 20 ft down. Luckily neither of my kids were injured, but I sat with one young boy for several hours (his parents took 3 hours to get there and refused to let the paramedics take him to the hospital) with his broken arm and nose, keeping him semi calm and comfortable. the bounce houses DO have a tie down system but they are NOT REQUIRED to use it. I will NEVER allow my children on one of these again!

squeeks910 June 03 2014 at 9:17 AM

Mrs, Obama will probably try to ban this too.

Richard squeeks910 June 03 2014 at 12:39 PM

She needs to ban you from replying on the Internet on these types of stories, dim wit...

kleind862 June 02 2014 at 6:09 PM

Gezz when I was a kid I was just happy to play bobbing for apples or kick the can. Now days little Johnny and Suzy have to have bouncing ball house that is know to fly in the wind.
Hey idiot parents STOP USING IT, IT IS DANGEROUS GOT IT.

rex1 June 03 2014 at 4:24 AM

the cpsc states that that the stakes are to be 7/8 diamener 36 in long and be driven in a minimum of 30 in the ground. the stakes supplied with 1/2 screw stakes about 12 inch long now what the f### is that about.

sylvabugg2 June 03 2014 at 11:40 AM

Now they're gonna want to ban these because people are too stupid to know that they must be securely anchored to the ground. Can't fix stupid I guess.