High school elects male student as prom queen

High School Elects Male Student as Prom Queen

Nasir Fleming, openly gay since 6th grade, was nominated for both prom king and queen at Danbury High School. He opted only to leave his name on the ballot for queen, as he wanted the opportunity to satirize gender rules in our society.

"At the end of the day, we all have a masculine side and a feminine side," noted Fleming. "So, what better way to show it than to run for a girl's title as queen?"

Fleming says the problem with America is we use proms to glorify how popular and how pretty someone is.

"So, when someone who's not ... the average prom queen, you know, a black person and a boy, it's like it's the end of the world," said Fleming.

The YouTube video of Fleming being announced as the winner had received nearly 50,000 hits as of Thursday evening. But, it is not a hit with everyone on social media. One woman wrote the title and video is "absolutely disgusting." And a man suggested the 17-year-old high honors student will "burn in hell."

"At first I was a little offended and then I realized if a 55-year-old is really commenting on my video, leaving these remarks, obviously they have nothing better to do in their life," said Fleming.

Some of the heat Fleming has received has been from the gay community.

"A lot of people are upset because they said I was feeding into stereotypes, which I completely disagree with because I don't think I'm the face of the gay community," the Manhattanville College bound student said.

Danbury High School's senior prom king said he would've danced with Nasir, but the DJ didn't allow it.

"Just seeing him up there doing his thing, being himself, I couldn't just not want to dance with him," said Rohit Das, the prom king. "I'd love to carry on the tradition no matter who it was."

Brian Workman May 30 2014 at 1:09 PM

Here is "another case" of a Homosexual, pushing his/her minority agenda, onto the heterosexual majority, and making the School Prom a total JOKE!! Thank You Far Left Liberal Agenda Democrats!!

Flag +101 rate up
illustrator63 May 30 2014 at 1:05 PM

How screwed up are the teachers/ students in this school to elect a male prom queen?

michaelawspn May 30 2014 at 1:12 PM

Sad, Pathetic, Disgusting...What is the proper word for this issue.?
No wonder the entire world hates what our great country has become.!

goodstuff244 May 30 2014 at 1:12 PM

I CAN'T BELIEVE HE WAS SO SELFISH AS TO USE HIS GAY POPULARITY, TO TAKE IT AWAY FROM A YOUNG LADY, THAT PROBABLY DREAMED ABOUT IT HER WHOLE SENIOR YEAR. I DON'T LIKE IT, I DON'T THINK IT I S CUTE, OR OKAY. HE IS JUST GAY, LET HIM BE QUEEN OF THE GAY PARADE

abuelacece May 30 2014 at 1:05 PM

disgusting

dgrnwood2506 May 30 2014 at 1:03 PM

He is not a QUEEN.......and queen is female and a king is male......GENDER........NOT a person who is both............If he is gay that is fine......but, he is MALE and should have been crowned king.

swordplay62 May 30 2014 at 12:55 PM

Schools are too scared to say no... I have nothing against gay people, but I hate all this crap they keep shoving in our faces trying to prove a point. I dont care what you do in bed but please just try to act like another person.

Diana May 30 2014 at 12:15 PM

I am a 55 year old and I have a lot of things better to do in my life than read about a male prom queen. No, he's just a queen!!

JE WA ZA WI May 30 2014 at 1:14 PM

Thank God I grew up in the greatest generation ,when the majority would kick some freak a====s====s ===e===s

michaelawspn May 30 2014 at 1:13 PM

Sad, Pathetic, Disgusting.....What is the correct for this.??.....Sad what our great country has become, no wonder the entire world hates us.