Why eating kale is better than going to a tanning salon
A beautiful tan is actually skin deep. The more fruits and veggies you eat, the better your skin will look and feel. Added bonus -- some foods will even give you a natural tan! If heading to the tanning salon isn't your thing, but you're feeling a little too pale to fully enjoy your beach time, try eating (but not overeating) these foods for a natural glow.
- Everyone knows to eat their vegetables but super foods like kale that contain beta-carotein may also contribute to a tanned look. Snacking on kale chips may save you a trip to the tanning salon.
- Plums are another great source of carotenoids. When you eat orange and yellow vegetables and fruit, the extra carotenoids are stored in the fat below your skin, contributing to a naturally tan look.
- Apricots are a good source of carotenoids, which help give your skin a golden hue.
- Tomatoes are one of the world's wonder foods. They're thought to help prevent sun damage and contribute to your natural tan thanks to the presence of antioxidant lycopene.
- If you're looking for orange foods to give your skin a tan boost, look no further than carrots. The common root vegetable is packed with alpha-carotene, which also helps maintain your eyesight.
- Enjoy the sweet side of natural tanning by eating sweet potatoes, which have many of the same effects as carrots.
- Fruit like cantaloupe are high in carotene but that doesn't mean you'll have insta-tan. It could take several months of eating so-called tanning foods before you see a change. Experts also caution overeating foods with carotene as too much can lead to illness.