Officers push veteran home after motorized scooter breaks down

Officers Push Veteran Home After Motorized Wheelchair Breaks Down

KGTV says Vietnam veteran Gil Larocque is thankful to a pair of San Diego police officers who pushed him for miles after his motorized wheelchair broke down. "I appreciate what they did."

Officers Milo Shields and Eric Cooper of the San Diego Police Department, one a veteran and the other the son of a veteran, spotted Larocque on the sidewalk.

The two decided to push him home in his power scooter -- and in case you didn't know, those things are heavy. Larocque's scooter weighs more than 300 pounds.

The police department proudly posted the video of the officers pushing Larocque and noted it took place over Memorial Day weekend. The Facebook post says, "These officers were willing to go above and beyond the call of duty."

They certainly did - at some points they had to drag the chair when it would lock up. But KUSI reports the officers are staying humble about their act of kindness.

"They say, well, it was the least they could do."

"I was gracious for his service to our country, the least I could do was push him."

KGTV reports, "Larocque has had trouble walking ever since he suffered several injuries in Vietnam. Since he can't drive, Larocque uses the scooter to run errands for him and his 90-year-old father, a Pearl Harbor survivor."

Once the officers dropped off Laroque, KGTV reports the sergeant who caught their good deed on camera returned them to their patrol car.

gardinerda May 30 2014 at 7:20 AM

"He ain't heavy, he's my brother".......I think the police officers took this quote to heart (literally)

imopettibone May 30 2014 at 6:46 AM

God bless the officers - what a wonderful story to read. It is so much better to hear about the good things people do, instead of all the terrible things in the world.

natalie imopettibone May 30 2014 at 10:10 AM

it's part of their job!! what don't people get about this???

exitscreaming imopettibone May 30 2014 at 5:26 PM

Yes good news is nice to hear , however have to agree with Natalie to a certain degree...because yes it is their job to help the public and really what was their alternative, leave him there , possibly have something bad happen and have to answer why didn't you assist him ? Having said that , they still deserve a thank you for helping him out, I just think lately AOL/Huff Puff have been laying it on a little thick....trying to turn ordinary acts by people into superhuman heroics

Bob May 30 2014 at 7:32 AM

I came upon a fellow on a similar scooter stopped in the middle of the street with a dead battery. I parked my car and got the scooter to the side of the road when a couple biked up to us. The man offered to push the fellow home so I put the man's bike in my car and he alone pushed the disabled man home -- many, many blocks on a very hot day. The samaritan was overweight but strong, and held up all the way. There are good people out there.

IBruzEZ May 30 2014 at 8:12 AM

Wonderful.! sick of hearing all the bad comments about cops, most are wonderful people. Bless them for their good work.

bert hall May 30 2014 at 6:54 AM

FANTASTIC JOB TO THE SAN DIEGO POLICE DEPARTMENT!!!!. THE NEWS MEDIA SHOULD SHOW MORE POSITIVE STORIES ABOUT OUR POLICE, THROUGHT-OUT THE COUNTRY. THEY OUR FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AT HOME.!!!! REMEBER 9/11

hensteeth bert hall May 30 2014 at 2:11 PM

I do remember 9/11, Bert, and recall that NYC firefighters were the real, self-sacrificing heros. One entire shift of our local fire house died in collapsing tower.

morine44 hensteeth May 30 2014 at 5:50 PM

So now we're playing "Can You Top This"? smh

Flag +5 rate up
Brad May 30 2014 at 8:39 AM

i have to tell you that this kind of story really makes my day. it is easy to knock a police person they take a lot of abuse, but they are exceptional people and at least much appreciated by me.

BOB May 30 2014 at 8:15 AM

Just goes to prove cops arent all bad . Maybe if more people learned a simple idea of " dont do stupid crap and the cops will leave you alone " and if your a good citizen they will help . I have noted that the idiots of the world are the worst cop bashers around . It doesnt matter what law you break , suck it up and pay for your violation of law . I have been speeding , got caught and paid my cites . So What ! I was wrong . At the same time , I know some cops that have helped me a little also . Welcome to the real world .

meepstein BOB May 30 2014 at 1:58 PM

Unfortunately stupid people do stupid things.

Winky Eye May 30 2014 at 7:30 AM

It's really great every once in a while to see some good that's still left in our scociety. Isn't much of that left these days, that's for sure! Officers are always getting a bad rap from people and the press. Great job guys on this one. You are tasked with a tough job, one I would'nt want. Stay safe out there and keep us safe...

Jeri May 30 2014 at 7:24 AM

there are lots of wonderful people in this world mostly we hear only the bad

fkfrakes8 May 30 2014 at 8:20 AM

What the officers did was very kind and should be applauded. I'm wondering why they couldn't have called a flatbed tow truck rather than take themselves off their job for 2 hours ?