Mother of four loses 100 pounds, runs first marathon

Mother of Four Loses 100 Pounds, Runs First Marathon

NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) - When mother of four Claire McCrary purchased her first scale, she weighed over 230 pounds, WGNO reports.

"My triglycerides were high, that was kind of a signal to me that I needed to do something to change," says McCrary. And so, she began to run.

"When I first started I was running mailbox to mailbox or street light to street light, I just gradually built up my mileage over time. It was addictive, once the first ten pounds came off then I would think, how much further can I go, well let's try for another ten, let me try for another ten."

Now over 90 pounds lighter with a marathon under her belt, life has changed completely.

"I always thought that if I lost weight, I would be the same person just in a different body, but when you're exercising, your entire outlook changes and you really do have more energy. You really do feel better," exclaims McCrary.

"The first time that I put on a pair of pants that were a size 4 and they were too big and I had to ask the salesperson to go back and get a size 2, I kind of screamed in the dressing room, I let out a little shriek, I did because I've never even been that small even in high school."

Claire's story has been so impressive she was even noticed by Louisiana's Health & Fitness Magazine Owner, Mary Piper. "This is just a story that will capture a lot of attention and inspire a lot of people who may be in that same situation because not only is it hard to lose a lot of weight but if you're not overweight it's hard to run a marathon so to do both, that's a great success story right there. It takes a lot of dedication and self-motivation to be able to do that," says Piper.

"Every meal, every snack is a conscious decision and if I find myself slipping a little bit, I'll start writing everything down that I'm eating and keep a food diary. My big thing is just consistency and if you mess up tomorrow's a new day. Moms really need to know that it's OK to have mom time that they need to do it to be healthy for themselves. I tell my kids all the time, I'm a better mom because I'm healthy and I can take better care of you."

Claire McCrary's journey began a year and a half ago and she has maintained the same weight for 6 months. She lost weight without a gym membership, without a personal trainer and without any surgical help. She did, however, have the love and support of her husband and friends. Her story will be featured in the July issue of Louisiana's Health & Fitness Magazine.

dexrmerritt June 02 2014 at 7:19 AM

I'd rather see this type of story than the 'celebrities' like Marie Osmond and the others who are paid by Nutri Slim and others for endorsing and therefore losing weight. Sign my PHAT A$$ up...

jcrisw3453 June 02 2014 at 5:53 AM

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13.

dl0007 June 02 2014 at 7:30 AM

The way this lady looks she better keep running because every male that sees her will end up chasing after her! Wow!

Owen June 02 2014 at 7:34 AM

I love these weight loss, success storiestheir very motavational!!

italbrat61 Owen June 02 2014 at 10:35 AM

I agree. I respect these people so much more than those who have lost weight because of surgery. I know a 22 year old who just had weight loss surgery. I mean REALLY! go on a diet! Congratulations to those who stick to it and do it on their own!

Betty italbrat61 June 02 2014 at 11:06 AM

This is an unfair assessment. People vary quite a bit in their medical conditions and ability to lose the weight. Furthermore, some folks' lives are saved by weight loss surgery because they were at risk for a heart attack. Lay off people with weight problems. It's complicated. For some, "just go on a diet" is not the answer.

Flag +14 rate up
boardsrbetter italbrat61 June 02 2014 at 4:20 PM

Betty, people like you are the problem, you are the reason obesity is getting worse and worse in america. Diet is the answer. Eat a bannana for potasium, then keep your 500lb as* away from the fridge, you'll lose weight.

Flag +4 rate up
marcsmpsn June 02 2014 at 7:48 AM

She looks great, congradulations.........

chefjohnp June 02 2014 at 7:18 AM

Good for her! It can be done, it just take a little time, a little effort and a lot of heart. No quick fix can beat simple exercise and diet. Set your goal to an attainable level and you can do it!

Hollow318 chefjohnp June 02 2014 at 8:43 AM

There is nothing simple about running. It's not possible for everyone. Yes I know that with arthritis you have to try so hard to move to prevent stiffness. But that's the mild form. For some of us, our joints are so wasted away it's depressing to see running and marathons glorified.

iconkestrell June 02 2014 at 9:38 AM

Nice to see someone do it the old fashioned way with willpower and hard work, unlike that shallow Miss Texas they spotlighted last week who had all kinds of bariatric surgery, plastic surgery, a personal trainer and a planned meal system. She'll be fat again, however this young woman realized the benefits of exercise and portion control and will therefore stay healthy in the future. Kudos.

Merlinman1 iconkestrell June 02 2014 at 8:54 PM

Where did you read that girl had surgery? I think you're mistaken. And why is she shallow? She was absolutely bullied and taunted by her classmates...why are you so negative about her? I'm happy for her...she looks great & the best part is she can tell those cruel "Mean Girls" to kiss her skinny a**!

steftonka June 02 2014 at 10:41 AM

She looked very pretty in the before photo Im sure for health reasons she is much better off Good for her

Jennifer June 02 2014 at 12:24 PM

I lost 108 pounds on my own with no surgery, no personal trainer and NO pills! My own food menu, my own work out and nothing but desire and hard work!

reelanimals June 02 2014 at 6:54 AM

She looks TOO thin to me. When your collarbones stick out that much you are too thin. Somewhere in the middle would be better for her.