Miss South Texas shares story of her transformation

How Miss South Texas Transformed From 'Fat Girl' To Beauty Queen

Miss South Texas 2014 and her inspiring story are making waves throughout the country.

Keli Kryfko's platform is "Losing to Gain," something she knows well after dropping 100 pounds to get her beauty queen physique.

She was bullied in middle school and started her transformation at 14 years old. KTVT reports, "I was over 200 pounds ... I had to take the fitness test in PE class. I not only failed it but I ended up getting a zero on it ... I overheard some girls saying, 'can you believe the fat girl couldn't do any of it.'"

Those harsh words were the motivation she needed. The first thing Kryfko cut out was Dr. Pepper, and to this day she says that was the hardest. She spoke with ABC, explaining, "I had a learning disability and I just felt inferior to others. I would really depend on food just to kind of comfort me. I took a stand and said enough is enough."

Within a year and a half, she shed 70 pounds.

The 23-year-old says she cut out all carbs except oatmeal in the morning, and says she was "on a practically paleo diet." KHOU explains that Keli went from a size 24 to a 4.

"It's not just about being skinny, it's about a lifestyle and fitness."

Unfortunately, many kids struggle as Kryfko did in middle school. According to a study published in the journal Pediatrics, in 2010 obese kids were 63 percent more likely to be bullied and in turn suffer from loneliness, depression and anxiety.

But Kryfko says she hopes her story will help inspire others to make similar life-changing transformations.

On her website she writes, "I will always be proud of the 100 pounds I LOST, but GAINING the chance to change others [sic] lives has been my biggest accomplishment. My ultimate dream is to be an inspirational speaker all over this country."

Kryfko will begin competing for the title of Miss Texas at the end of June.

Coni Weisenburn June 01 2014 at 6:33 AM

Awesome. Good for her. She looks wonderful.

dal June 01 2014 at 6:24 AM

Bet any of them boys who might had picked on her regret it now.

PeachyLand June 01 2014 at 5:34 AM

Good for her! Wish her all the best! :)

mlegacyent June 01 2014 at 6:49 AM

While the cruelty of others served as a motivator for her, it usually has the opposite affect on most. I must say also that the school who required her to do the fitness test in front of those mean kids is as much to blame and a bully. No matter what a person is dealing with, it should not be met with cruelty and being made fun of. It is because of society's obsession with weight or the lack there of, that people resort to desperate measures to loose weight and many result in the loss of life. Remember NO ONE is promised tomorrow!

chefjohnp June 01 2014 at 7:04 AM

Well, that is a great accomplishment, but remember everyone is different. Some people can't go without carbs. I know that when I deny myself carbs, I feel weak and light headed. There is a balance. Keli looks beautiful and I hope she takes the crown!

Lisa Marie chefjohnp June 01 2014 at 1:40 PM

I am currently on a low carb diet and plan to transition into a paleo lifestyle. During the first few days of a low carb diet and am always tired and moody, but that is the withdrawal symptoms. Once I am threw the withdrawals I feel fantastic.

bettysue113098 Lisa Marie June 01 2014 at 8:09 PM

lisa what kinds of things do you like to eat on your low carb diet?

Flag 0 rate up
deciamae Lisa Marie June 01 2014 at 9:21 PM

Low carb diets arent healthy. Its the body's best source of energy, and its not a feasable lifestyle. Your body can hold water differently, impacting the number on the scale. People seem to forget all veggies are considered carbs. Cutting out any food group is not healthy and may lead to a faster weight loss initially but almost always ends up in disaster in the end.

Flag +1 rate up
bleulorax chefjohnp June 01 2014 at 9:47 PM

Everyone is different, but I have a feeling you are overweight. Your statement sounds as though you may be creating excuses, not reasons, for your weight.

seeker4179 June 01 2014 at 7:47 AM

KEEP THEM COMING,I LOVE GOOD STORIES ESPECIALLY OF ACHIEVE DONE BY ONESELF,YEAH.

shrinker31 seeker4179 June 01 2014 at 11:54 AM

ones self? and an endless team of surgeons and body alterers

memaw7824 June 01 2014 at 7:48 AM

I had never heard of the Paleo diet, clicked on it and looks like they have some good, free recipes. Just now made my version of their egg bake, didn't have all the ingredients but I did put some onion and broccoli in my eggs and it was good. I am wondering if it is a diet I could actually live with. Thanks for sharing your story Keli!

TR by ML Neal... memaw7824 June 01 2014 at 5:20 PM

memaw7824...sounds a lot like quiche....

karen June 01 2014 at 10:09 AM

So let's see,,,,, this article is promoting and agreeing that bullying is a good way to make you lose weight? Seriously? The article says she was made fun of so she ran out and did everything she could to lose weight. She bought boobs, she had surgeries? Wow, So if a young girl today listens to the article and hears this she should do the same right? anything she can do to please the stick worshipers,,, oh, now you will say Oh it's healthier, but some young girls, with go anorexic, take diet pills, but that's ok? and nothing is done to the bullies. Goooooo America!!!

Steve-a-rino June 01 2014 at 9:07 AM

So, beauty is on the outside, or is it on the inside? Wasn't she a "beautiful person" before? Funny how mixed the message is depending on who's doing the talking.

Baines-Hunter June 01 2014 at 6:53 AM

Please inform the Republicans who are directing schools to serve unhealthy products to our students