Messy bed is worth millions

Messy Bed, Garbage Expected To Fetch Millions At Auction

Your dirty bedroom could be worth millions. OK -- not yours. But one is. Today explains.

"Tracey Emin is the creator of this modern Art Piece called 'My Bed.' She took it from her bedroom and made it into an installation. Yeah, that's the way my bed looks all the time."

'My Bed' is expected to sell for more than $2 million at auction. It was first made -- or rather, unmade, in 1998 by the British artist.

Right now, the Daily Mirror says the wealthy and controversial Charles Saatchi - as in Nigella Lawson's ex – owns it.

His gallery explains the power behind the piece...

"By presenting her bed as art, Tracey Emin shares her most personal space, revealing she's as insecure and imperfect as the rest of the world."

And as The Daily Beast notes -- the piece has become iconic.

The Independent says the work was the result of a three-day breakdown from Emin -- it features real dirty sheets, used bottles of vodka and some more intimate items we won't mention here.

The Guardian spotlights one of the challenges: moving the bed. The piece comes with photos showing exactly where all the mess should be, from ashtrays to dirty underwear.

Emin herself spoke on how to really make the mess.

"When I get the bed I have to make the bed. I get underneath, snuggle, throw the covers over. Otherwise it would look too contrived. It looks fake."

So, a perfect mess. Worth millions.

fkfrakes8 May 30 2014 at 7:52 AM

Haven't made my bed since 1983 - will be putting it on Ebay for 3.5 million.

dal May 30 2014 at 6:14 AM

Now that is art with a capital "F".

jimbon88 May 30 2014 at 7:44 AM

She is a real pig. She could never live in my house. Her parents did a poor job raising her, unless they were raising a farm animal. To pay for this garbage called art is obscene.

silverfawn May 30 2014 at 7:52 AM

Eeew. Looks like a crime scene- a crime against good taste and common sense.

Linda May 30 2014 at 10:20 AM

What's that rumbling I feel??? An earthquake??? No, its all the real artists who have died & are collectively rolling over in their graves....

boardsrbetter Linda May 30 2014 at 10:30 AM

yup, this lady is a disgrace

jakki051 boardsrbetter May 30 2014 at 9:18 PM

HA HA. AND THE FOLKS WHO PURCHASED IT FOR THOSE MILLIONS!

Flag 0 rate up
Ken Linda May 30 2014 at 7:26 PM

I think the "Murphy Brown" series did a great parody of "art" in the episode where she got a gallery to show one of her house painter's ceiling murals - and because it was on the ceiling the gallery put velvet ropes on poles around the space underneath. Naturally, all the guests started thinking the velvet ropes were the "art installation" and saying how admirable it was, completely failing to look up at the mural.

kittenblu May 30 2014 at 8:33 AM

I guess all of us are artists then. She is nothing special....I do this to my bed along with millions of other people , everyday. Whoopdee doo. Is the artist special needs? Because who ever bids over $1.35 on this is definetly special needs. This is the most stupid ""ART"" I have ever, ever seen.

cbcmkting May 30 2014 at 7:28 AM

Geez/...I have an old used, dried out condom that I believe is modern art also....much more powerful....

Just shows that some people have too much money AND how one's person's discusting life is anothers artwork...some people will buy anything - or believe anything, just like global warming..

wmcbhere cbcmkting May 30 2014 at 8:59 AM

why'd the chicken cross the road?

Ken wmcbhere May 30 2014 at 7:30 PM

To lay it on the line. (Not my original, but I love it.)

Flag 0 rate up
MARIANINIA May 30 2014 at 7:39 AM

to be or not to be messy , that is the question ,we are all messy people ... lest face it , who isn't when we are in a rush and time is of the essence but to think that her mess is worth that much because she is an artist , she is dillusional , but like they say a sucker is born everyday ....

kissables May 30 2014 at 5:12 AM

Stupid.

Angbii@aol.com kissables May 30 2014 at 6:05 AM

I agree. I'm sure anyone with enough money to actually buy this could recreate it in less than a minute for a fraction of the cost!

Bill Oakley Angbii@aol.com May 30 2014 at 6:16 AM

not that stupid if shes going to make more then 1,000,000

Flag +3 rate up
Cheryl May 30 2014 at 8:30 AM

I have enough problems having my kids keep their room clean. No thanks PS: 4 bedrooms for sale for 100K, dirty sheets and all.