Study finds differences between 'cat people' and 'dog people'

The Truth About Cats & Dogs

It turns out that "dog people" and "cat people" are very different. A new study from Carroll University in Wisconsin found the personality traits of cat lovers and dog lovers couldn't be more different than... well, cats and dogs.

The study suggests that those who prefer dogs are seeking companionship, and generally more energetic and outgoing. That makes sense as dogs are more lively and interested in playing outside and socializing. Dog people also tend to follow the rules.

Those who prefer cats, on the other hand, are more likely to be non-conformists, introverts, want affection, and be sensitive home bodies -- as cats also like to stay inside.

Researchers surveyed 600 students and asked them to classify themselves as cat people or dog people. Sixty percent said "dog people," eleven percent said "cat people," the rest were either both or neither. They then asked participants a series of questions about their personalities.

But before we start a cyber-war between cat and dog lovers, it should be pointed out that researchers only surveyed 600 participants and they were all college students, so it's unclear if the results apply to other age groups. That being said, the study also suggests cat lovers are more intelligent than dog lovers.

KCee May 29 2014 at 7:27 AM

"cats also like to stay inside" - I've never owned a cat who preferred staying inside to exploring outside, especially at night since they are nocturnal animals.

BOB May 29 2014 at 6:53 AM

Another " study " .... This is BS . I prefere cat because I can go places and not have to worry about coming home and finding brown presents on the floor . It would be a disaster to leave a dog alone on a 3 day vacation .

namvet May 29 2014 at 6:04 AM

I have 14 cats and 2 dogs that reside with me. They are all rescued animals and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Denileriverafter May 29 2014 at 6:54 AM

I thought dog lovers were control freaks, who didn't like anyone who doesn't bow and snivel to their commands..i.e...cats. Therefore, dog lovers need to feel in charge. Cat lovers, on the other hand, are accepting of non-conformist personalities..i.e...cats! Cats are to be "dealt with", not commanded. Although, with their different personalities, there are some cats who will follow orders..after much consideration, AND, in due time. lol IF they feel it is in their best interest, AND, they are not busy with something more important! Such as..a nap! But, I amnot saying I hate dogs, I love ALL animals! But, cats are my favorite!

Suzann May 29 2014 at 6:02 AM

I grew up with cats and had my first dog at the age of 21 and have been a dog(s) owner ever since. And yes I completely agree on the comment of seeking companionship, but not the part of the study suggesting cat lovers are more intelligent than dog lovers. While dogs do require more hands on work than cats, I would never want to live my life without a 4-legged friend because my world would be empty without their unconditional love that they have to offer...

ilkschum May 29 2014 at 1:09 PM

Dogs have masters....cats have staff....

BoniLu ilkschum May 29 2014 at 9:24 PM

Cats are fast, have great intuition, are neat, cunning, independent and confident like their owners who respect those traits. Many, but NOT all Dog people are control freaks, that need to be the boss, and in charge of a submissive living thing, because in real life, they really are insecure and incapable of all those things. this is common in the worthless sadistic freaks that abuse their dogs because they can, and enjoy it!

Beautiful BoniLu May 29 2014 at 9:51 PM

Many people think (incorrectly) that because dogs are agreeable and love to work in groups that they are somehow "inferior". Shame. Dogs are super-humanly adept at forgiving human foibles and overlooking human faults. They love us in spite of ourselves....and we "dis" them. Shame on us. Don't mistake friendliness for stupidity.

Flag +1 rate up
wmichalek ilkschum May 29 2014 at 10:35 PM

My divas would completely disagree. They allow us to live in the house and sleep in their bed, and feed them. They tolerate being taken to a Spa Day, and enjoy my friends at coffee. If an alien race were observing most dog households, they would assume the dogs are the masters, and the humans are the subservient species.

mikkhila May 29 2014 at 9:53 AM

This is not surprising....all these things have been known for a long time. Talk about wasted research money !

noughtman May 29 2014 at 8:55 AM

How did they quantify "more intelligent"? I.Q. tests? Grade point averages? Science versus liberal arts? This study needs some study.

dbrianpritchett May 29 2014 at 7:24 AM

Really now..I have 6 cats and 2 dogs....so are my "traits" more cat friendly or dog friendly? Being a former Army officer you can bet I know how to take charge...yet at the same time at a later point in life I was a VERY successful salesman and sales manager and we KNOW people don't hand over their hard earned money to people they don't Like..

oujoou May 29 2014 at 5:45 AM

I'm a both person . . cat AND dog. I've had both before as pets. :) I also like big spiders and snakes. :) The study seems interesting enough. However . . . 60 percent of the ANY group polled is NOT extrovert. I'm extroverted. I see very few people who are extroverted. Pretending you are a certain way to get a girl's attention does NOT make you an extrovert. Or vice versa. Walking into town to show how great you are is NOT extroverted. An extrovert takes an interest in the comings and goings of wherever he or she MAY be. In another country even. Extroverts can live ANYwhere in the world . . .basically. Umm . . Americans aren't good when they travel abroad . . .except when it becomes to BEING the ugly American abroad. :(