Kerry to Snowden: 'Man up' and come home

WASHINGTON (AP) - Secretary of State John Kerry on Wednesday called National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden a fugitive and challenged him to "man up and come back to the United States." Snowden says in an interview that he would like to go home.

The former NSA contract systems analyst is living in Russia on a temporary grant of asylum after leaking a massive volume of NSA documents to the media. He told anchorman Brian Williams of NBC News that he had taken action in the belief that he was serving his country in exposing the surveillance programs of the NSA.

"I don't think there's ever been any question that I'd like to go home," Snowden said in a segment of the interview broadcast Wednesday night. "Now, whether amnesty or clemency ever becomes a possibility is not for me to say. That's a debate for the public and the government to decide. But, if I could go anywhere in the world, that place would be home."

Kerry's comments came before NBC aired that portion of the Snowden interview. On the matter of Snowden returning, Kerry told the "Today" show on NBC: "If Mr. Snowden wants to come back to the United States, we'll have him on a flight today." Kerry also said, "A patriot would not run away."

Snowden told Williams that he was "trained as a spy" and argued that he had a much larger role in U.S. intelligence than the government has acknowledged.

"I was trained as a spy in sort of the traditional sense of the word, in that I lived and worked undercover overseas," he said.

"Let him come back and make his case," Kerry said. "If he cares so much about America and he believes in America, he should trust the American system of justice."

Snowden said he never intended to be holed up in Russia but was forced to go there because Washington decided to "revoke my passport." In response, Kerry said: "Well, for a supposedly smart guy, that's a pretty dumb answer, after all."

"I think he's confused," Kerry said. "I think it's very sad. But this is a man who has done great damage to his country."

xqqsme3679 May 28 2014 at 9:52 PM

It's a shame John Kerry can't 'man it up' about his service time! 'Unfit for Command' by John E. O'Neil and Jerome R. Corsi, PH.D. documents a lot of things Mr. Kerry should man up and appologize for. He was a politician in training way back then.

shepfbm May 28 2014 at 9:58 PM

In my book John Kerry doesn't know the meaning of "man up". He won't testify for the Benghazi committee so they can find out the truth, he was a coward in Vietnam. I am ashamed for other countries to be in contact with that weasel. If I could be on the Snowden jury he would never be convicted.

Angela9 May 28 2014 at 10:30 PM

I love Snowden for what he did! He is a real Patriot. I understand there is more coming with NAMES being told! I love it. This is truth coming out and we need to know the truth. We are so tired of all the lies and cover-ups. Tell us more Snowden!!!!

John Roberson May 28 2014 at 11:16 PM

and Kerry should talk for how he defamed America after the Vietnam war?

TEXVOODOO2 May 28 2014 at 11:26 PM

"National security adviser Susan Rice said in a CNN interview that Snowden never worked undercover."

And we all know Susan Rice would never tell a lie........ (eyeroll)

Albert May 29 2014 at 12:16 AM

If anyone has done damge to this country, it's people like secretary Kerry and that poor excuse for a president he works for. Snowden will end up with a pardon and rightly so.

tornekrayville May 29 2014 at 1:09 AM

Kerry saying "man up" is like Nixon saying "I am not a crook". The ONLY thing worse than a politician is a child molester.

baggersrnutz May 28 2014 at 11:56 PM

What a strange bunch of citizens we have ! Our most fervent anti-communists have no problem with our largest companies outsourcing jobs to a communist country in order to put more profits in their pockets. Yet they also reject Ed Snowdens revalations about the NSA spying on our own citizens, all while claiming to want to uphold the Constitution, and yet voting to surrender every right we have

These kind of people are on both the Left and Right. A true testament ot the failure of our educational system, Common Core, and Conservatives as well !

chipvpb May 29 2014 at 4:08 AM

Kerry needs to man up on Benghazi, he will testify to one person but not the commity

lareginaproduce May 29 2014 at 6:24 AM

Man up Look Who's Talking Well spoken from a little girly man.!!

jvinylman502 lareginaproduce May 29 2014 at 9:46 AM

You just made me think of Obama riding his bicycle wearing all of that safety gear . And throwing out the first pitch. lol

Shirley jvinylman502 May 29 2014 at 11:09 AM

I can sure tell of which party you come from. lol

Flag +3 rate up
Randy jvinylman502 May 29 2014 at 11:20 AM

Shirley - I don't think its any indication of "party"... it might be an indication of sanity... but you said "party" which is also a good indicator of your LACK of SANITY.

Flag +13 rate up