Critics Say Breast-Feeding Ad "Sexualizes" And Shames Women

Critics Say Breast-Feeding Ad

A breastfeeding campaign in Mexico has ignited controversy with an ad some are calling too sexualized.

In the ads, a banner across the women's chest reads "don't turn your back on them, give them your breast." Time reports the new campaign from Mexico City is drawing such heat because some say it sends the wrong message.

"Health advocates are peeved that the campaign both sexualizes women and faults those who choose not to breast-feed, rather than simply emphasizing the benefits of doing so."

And NPR says it doesn't help that the models for the ads were famous actresses. The outlet spoke with Regina Tames, a member of a reproductive rights group.

"'It's not only a very terrible campaign in terms of how it looks, but it's also the message that if you don't breast-feed, you are a bad mother and you are the one to blame."

And not to mention those women in the ads are pretty tone, hardly looking like they just popped out a baby. But Fashion Times points out, while the ads may have missed the mark, breastfeeding education is important in the country.

"​It is the lowest city in Latin America with nursing mothers. Only 14 percent of mothers nurse their child exclusively in the first six months, a standard recommended by the World Health Organization."

KOKH asked its viewers about the controversial ad.

"I breast fed and formula fed my three children. I would have no issues with this ad. Stop crying over spilled milk! Haha.

But Mexico isn't alone when it comes to controversial ads. California-based nonprofit breast cancer group The Keep a Breast Foundation caused a stir with this "I Love Boobies" campaign.

autounionbailout May 27 2014 at 12:15 PM

FEEDING A CHILD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SEX...UNLESS YOU ARE AN IDIOT

Amiee/Patrick May 27 2014 at 12:28 PM

Frankly, with all the sexualization of women on tv, in advertisements, in movies, in literature and with the unintended event through women "feminist" movement where they through themselves at men sexually at bars and nightclubs, the whole cougar thing (really?), sleeping around at like a 1000% more than in the 1960s, HOW IN THE WORLD could THIS matter??!! Not all, but a great MANY women have caused much of their own problems dressing like *****, acting like ***** and well, being ***** to give decent, self respecting females a bad name. In fact, I think more men treat women worse as a result of the male perception of real behaviors of women nowadays.

deridealldems May 27 2014 at 11:55 AM

Let me guess, ad campaign designed by....men?

Miles May 27 2014 at 12:13 PM

Looks like a few of those models would give a suckling kid nothing but silicone!

MaximaDecima Miles May 27 2014 at 8:57 PM

Wow ... Touche

AltamonteSprings Miles May 27 2014 at 10:04 PM

LOL That was sooo true.

Meh... May 27 2014 at 1:17 PM

I've never seen a breast feeding mother with a body like that....

enchantedtofly1 May 27 2014 at 1:37 PM

There is something wrong with a society that would shame women for breastfeeding and not be ashamed to commercialize erection products.

raptureready1958 May 27 2014 at 2:42 PM

Stupid people will not leave breast feed as a private time between baby and mother, not for public viewing.

Taxi Talk May 27 2014 at 12:00 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

bigred8690 May 27 2014 at 12:32 PM

They can show their breast all they want. I don't care. I want our Marine back!!!

Kate bigred8690 May 27 2014 at 6:21 PM

Then I suggest you write a comment about that on an article that has something to do with him. You might get some helpful tips from someone about how to help get his release, which you are unlikely to get in an article about breastfeeding.

alantatanka Kate May 27 2014 at 6:59 PM

You missed his point Kate.

Flag +1 rate up
rcppr1 May 27 2014 at 1:02 PM

I am sick of the female advertisements and feel they are more for the males. How come they don't advertise Jock straps etc!!!!

Beverly Doyle rcppr1 May 27 2014 at 1:52 PM

LOL - I got news for ya - the "how's it hangin'" photo ops are not being paid attention by women.

Storm Beverly Doyle May 27 2014 at 8:43 PM

Thye need to change the laws. women who really really want to expose their breasts in public should be able to do so. They should also be able to stck the photos up on Face Book MY Space or on every web site there is with that smirk on their faces that causes people to think it is a sexual thing. I need to know the harm it causes a baby when they are NOT breast fed in public? what scars will it leave if the child is covered with a cloth in public. I aso cannot understand why people who have paid a good amount of money in a very nice place to eat do not enjoy a woman with her breast out feeeding a baby?? I mean they could have gone to a topless place for less money right. I have no idea how I survived or my 11 siblings without being breast fed in public like at a bus stop or a nice diner or a movie or in Eng. Lit class. How about at graduation? Kimyes wedding would be a good place to do this too about the time they say the vows? Well I feel since we can see this very soon .

Flag +4 rate up