Ray Rice apologizes, says he 'failed miserably'

Ray Rice Apologizes For Incident

By DAVID GINSBURG
AP Sports Writer

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- His voice cracking with emotion, Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice acknowledged Friday that he "failed miserably" and apologized for the actions that led to his arrest on assault charges.

Rice was arrested following a Feb. 15 altercation in Atlantic City, New Jersey, in which he allegedly struck fiancee Janay Palmer. The couple married in late February, and both went to the stage at the team training complex for their first public comment since the arrest.

"I failed miserably, but I wouldn't call myself a failure because I'm working my way back up," he said.

Wearing a light gray suit and striped tie, Rice spoke for just over six minutes and didn't take questions. His speech was not prepared, but he often referred to notes on his cellphone.

"I know many of my supporters, sponsors, don't want to be in partnership with me. That's my fault," Rice said. "I take full responsibility for that. One thing I do know is that I'm working every day to be a better father, a better husband and just a better role model."

Rice was accepted Tuesday into a diversion program, which upon completion could lead to the charges being expunged.

"I want you to know I'm still the Ray Rice that you know, or used to know, or grown to love," Rice said. "I'm still the same guy. As me and Janay wish we could take back 30 seconds of our life, we definitely sit here and tell you that we are better parents, we are better lovers and also better friends."

Among those in attendance were Rice's mother, Janet, and his father-in-law, Joe Palmer. Rice was only 5 when his father was shot and killed, and he referred to Joe Palmer as the" father I never had."

"Thank you for teaching me how to be a man," he told Palmer. "I know it wasn't easy when you saw everything that happened, but I just remember your words: `You'll get through it.' Those words will always stick with me, because one thing you gave me is trust."

The 27-year-old Rice has played six years for the Ravens. He is the team's career leader in total scrimmage yards and ranks behind only Jamal Lewis in total yards rushing.

"My job is a very powerful job, and I'm blessed to be playing at the highest level of sports," Rice said. "But the job I did was more than scoring touchdowns. It was getting out in the community and helping out. So when this thing happened with me and my wife, one thing I can say is, sometimes in life you will fail."

Rice is eager to put this behind him, but it's possible that a suspension from the NFL looms ahead. His focus now, however, is clearly on his personal life.

"There were a lot of tears shed, but me and Janay can truly say we're in a better place," Rice said. "We just hope to one day gain back everyone's trust. We're still the same people and I'm still the same person."

After Rice was done speaking, he turned toward Janay, who enforced the couple's united front.

"I do deeply regret the role I played in the incident that night," she said. "But I can say that I am happy that we continue to work through it together. I love Ray, and I know that he will continue to prove himself not only to you all, but to the community, and I know he will gain your respect back in due time."

tbplayer44 May 24 2014 at 7:24 AM

Dont worry Ray... we expect Black professional athletes to beat their wives and girlfriends. It is the current Trend. It has something to do with the adage 'You can take the man out of the Hood, but you cant take the Hood out of the Man'

FUN May 24 2014 at 3:01 AM

Just another over paid THUG .

kdarmon58 FUN May 24 2014 at 6:51 PM

Fun they decoded the word THUG. I guess we should change it to FELON. Or maybe woman beater. LOL they are to much.

vietnamvet1967 May 24 2014 at 6:54 AM

And his Moron wife making up excuses for him, She has to be nuts to even marry him, what a low life Loser, Both of them

Ray McDermett May 24 2014 at 8:46 AM

Oh, so a valued player can be forgiven for all their bad acts, to the point of beating their wives but Sterling only quoted a "racist" remark and he is being forced out of the NBA and barred from ever attending games. How "racist" is that!!!!!

giyank1 May 24 2014 at 5:49 AM

Too many punks in pro sports, black and white. Over paid babies that haven't grown up.

calebashtrophies May 24 2014 at 9:47 AM

Ray Rice is a POS. He calls himself an African American. Let's ship him back and let him become the American African he really is.

ernest calebashtrophies May 24 2014 at 11:09 AM

Who tha hell is Let"s???? You can't ship anyone anywhere..What do you call yourself?? arsewype???

investigatorkch ernest May 24 2014 at 5:15 PM

a lot smarter than YOU

Flag 0 rate up
blo2thehead May 24 2014 at 2:34 AM

These apologies aren't cutting it. Professional athletes have an influence over our youth and it's not a pretty picture they paint. Not everyone thinks ghetto life is the norm, watching sports should have a "R" rating.

dlbausman May 24 2014 at 8:38 AM

JB - YOU ARE A NICE PERSON ---- BUT NAIVE OR DUMB

BREEDING CAN'T BE PURCHASED BY MILLIONS PLAYING FOOTBALL - YOU HAVE TO LEARN IT - WORK ON IT
RICE KNEW EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS DOING - HE AS MANY OTHER THUGS FELL THEY ARE ABOVE THE LAWS CAUSE THEY ARE MILLIONAIRES AND SUPER ATHLETES - SORRY IT'S NOT JUST A MISTAKE - IT'S AN INTENTIONAL ACT - DO YOU THINK THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME HE DID THIS? NO WAY JOSE!!!!!!

HE'S SORRY CAUSE THE "SYSTEM" MADE SAY HE WAS SORRY - LESS PUNISHMENT AND SAVES HIS FOOTBALL CONTRACT - BE REAL

POSSIBLY HE IS SORRY - BUT NOT BECAUSE IT CAME FROM THE INSIDE - IT WAS FORCED ON HIM

------
HOW ABOUT THIS POS.... THAT THROWS A GLASS AT THE BARTENDER - NICE
THROW THIS THUG AWAY

mfs171 May 24 2014 at 12:08 PM

Talk about a double standard.. Sterling says don't bring black people to my games and gets banned for life from the NBA and is being FORCED to sell his team.. Ray Rice knocks his then girlfriend OUT COLD, drags her unconscious body out of the elevator and gets away with an apology???? Really?

mo524 mfs171 May 24 2014 at 5:25 PM

There is this stuff called money see Ray can make me money by playing Sterling saying those things can cose me money do you see the difference now?

chrlbrw1122 May 24 2014 at 12:05 PM

Sterling apoligized why is he not forgiven? O I know his white..

World Series