Oldest person in America turns 115

Oldest Person In America Turns 115

The oldest woman in America turned 115 Friday. Happy birthday, Jeralean Talley!

"Jeralean has been the oldest living American since she was 113. We are told by the experts that she's just the 31st person ever to turn 115 years old," ABC reports.

According to the Detroit Free Press, Talley will celebrate her big day with a trip to the doctors for a checkup, although she says she's not feeling sick. So what's her secret? Simple: "Treat others the way you want to be treated." But she also told the paper: "It's all in the good Lord's hands. ... There's nothing I can do about it."

In response to the question "How do you feel, Mama, about being the oldest American?," Talley did a little dance.

Talley is a supercentenarian - a title reserved for people 110 years and older.

According to the Gerontology Research Group, there are just 74 validated supercentenarians ‚Äčliving in the world, and only about 1 in every 5 million Americans grows old enough to earn the title.

‚ÄčAnd in case you haven't done the math yet, Talley was born in 1899. For perspective, according to the History Channel that was just 34 years after the end of the Civil War.

Can you imagine all that Jeralean Talley has seen in her 115 years? We bet she's got some amazing stories to tell.

Currently Talley lives in Michigan with her daughter. Her family spans over five generations. Talley recently did an interview with Anderson Cooper; it's scheduled to air on CNN next week.

rodshiley71 May 23 2014 at 5:16 PM

Too bad we all can't live by her philosophy. Some people thrive on bitterness and hate and want this country to be separated. God bless her. I hope she lives another 115 years so she can tell others how stupid the people today are.

jrwolfman1 May 23 2014 at 5:27 PM

One of the golden rules.... How good would it be to go back in time. Growing up in the 60's and 70's seemed so pleasant. Getting on a bike and being able to ride for miles to go fishing, working on the farm with my grandfather who was my primary custodian even though I officially was living with my mother with my dad having visitation rights. He is gone now and im 50.

Personally I have never seen so much turmoil in the USA, the racial hatred is just terrible. If only todays generation could experience life before computers, before all of the illegal immigrants started charging our borders.

Life was so simple and a hell of a lot slower paced.

Those days are gone and the way it looks America as we knew/ know it is on the brink of extinction.

If only everyone would take Mrs. Talley's advice and live by her words.

MsV May 23 2014 at 6:11 PM

I would love to see her (unedited) interview. Being a Black woman in America myself, who is a half a century old, I know the kinds of foods, stressors and lack of health care those like me over the centuries have had to endure. People today say you have to eat rabbit foods, have no stress and take all kinds of pills to be healthy, (not saying you shouldn't try to live healthy) but I think what Mrs Talley may be ultimately saying is GOD chooses when we live and when we die...period. GOD Bless you Mrs. Talley.

fifi8589 May 23 2014 at 7:13 PM

I feel humbled by the beauty of her years.

Bill May 23 2014 at 5:33 PM

They had to refer to the History Channel to determine how many years 1899 was after the Civil War? Ugh.

Richard May 23 2014 at 5:53 PM

If people would start talking to one another rather than texting, tweeting etc., and excuse my use of my computer, maybe we would become more tolerant and a more understanding human race.

cgssnavickas May 23 2014 at 5:29 PM

Happy birthday, Jeralean!

David cgssnavickas May 23 2014 at 10:04 PM

Interesting thing about HER, I'd noticed - we'd be around 70 years apart (and, should we SEE the year 2037, she'd be TWICE my age (138)).

chrissf4529 May 23 2014 at 7:20 PM

I wish I could see the world through her eyes. She has experienced horse drawn carriages all the way to jet planes and space travel. Amazing! And, I would buy any book she wrote explaining that wonder or amazement at the world and its changes..

lauradecides May 23 2014 at 5:14 PM

Love it.

Doyle May 24 2014 at 7:36 AM

I wish I had her address, I'd send her a birthday card, in fact, wouldn't it be awesome if we could all send her a birthday card. What a wonderful lady, I'd love to meet her, sit down and talk with her.