Marine veteran welcomes home dog he trained in Afghanistan

Marine Veteran Welcomes Home Dog He Trained in Afghanistan

SEA-TAC INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, Wash. - A Marine who spent seven months in Afghanistan with an explosives-detection dog named Thor, was finally reunited with his "buddy" on Thursday. The heartwarming meeting brought many to tears, Q13Fox reports.

"For seven months straight, I didn't go anywhere without him," former Marine Sgt. Deano Miller said as he waited for Thor, a yellow lab, to arrive at the airport.

"He was literally right next to me the whole time. That dog was my everything, my everything, in Afghanistan," Miller said. "You go on patrols different times, you would eat different times. The one thing that never changed was him, he was there. He was a great dog."

That was back in 2010.

Since then, Miller, who grew up in Tacoma, has been hoping to someday adopt Thor.

On Thursday, he waited by the airport's flight board - and finally saw Thor being brought down an escalator, his tail wagging.

"Hey, buddy!" Miller said, bending over to greet his friend. But Thor had another, immediate interest.

"He's probably got to pee," Miller said. "Yeah, he does."

Miller applied to adopt Thor three years ago. And then he got the call - the lab was his.

The woman who brought Thor from Texas, Kathileene Anderson of Mission K9 Rescue, watched the reunion and was brought to tears.

"It feels good," she said, wiping her eyes. "And for our military."

Miller was asked what was the first thing he and Thor were going to do together.

"We're probably going to go to PetSmart or something, just spoil him, go home and relax," Miller said, smiling.

Thor, a military working dog, took part in five deployments, but now he's retired - and a man's best friend.

Joe May 27 2014 at 6:05 AM

Welcome home Sgt. Miller and Thor. Thanks for your service and great teamwork! Leave no military dog behind!

F-I-D-O:

Faithful
Intelligent
Dedicated
Orderly

Sophie Weintraub May 27 2014 at 5:42 AM

Thor is Marine's best friend. He gave unconditional love in addition to protecting the Marine. Now that both are retired they can play catch, have a god dog meal and relax. God Bless both of them.

janet2derek May 27 2014 at 6:32 AM

too bad the dog Thor had to risk his life for over 3 more years (which is a very long time in a dogs life)for a country whose people don't seem to care about anything but how much money they can suck out of western nations and how many infidels they can kill. Great that Thor is where he belongs with his true buddy in the USA

svfortuna May 27 2014 at 7:19 AM

Vastly better outcome than the K9 dogs in Vietnam who were all killed when we left rather than bring them home. That is a disgrace many of us will never forgive

Sharon May 27 2014 at 6:46 AM

Brought tears to my eyes. So thankful he was able to adopt Thor!

carrollbp Sharon May 27 2014 at 8:48 AM

Mine too!!

vietnamvet1967 May 27 2014 at 6:34 AM

Undying Love from Both

tricia May 27 2014 at 7:53 AM

I am so glad that Sgt Miller was able to adopt Thor. Now they can be together and have a wonderful life that both will love being together. Thank you both for your service. You are both super wonderful and deserve to be together.

JOEM May 27 2014 at 7:51 AM

WELCOME home marine and your friend Thor. Thank you for protecting us with Thor against the evil axis ones

drmikefain May 27 2014 at 6:53 AM

I fully appreciate and applaud Officer Miller's love for Thor! I grew up in a home with two blind parents and a Seeing Eye dog was a very important part of our household. Since 1996, I have had inside pets - Peek-a-poo dogs - since I could have no other pets when I was growing up in Houston. These pets are now a part of my own family and I could not live without them. I am SO happy for Officer Miller and Thor!

LewTag drmikefain May 27 2014 at 10:27 AM

wow....what a special family you must have had....

Joyce May 27 2014 at 6:41 AM